Thread: Replica Revolver Makers

Default Replica Revolver Makers

I have a Remington 1858 New Model BP replica revolver that I purchased in the early 1960's. There is no manufacturer markings anywhere. How can I find out who the maker was ?
    Are there specific proof marks for Uberti, Pietta, Armi San Marco, etc.?
    Last edited by Broomhandle; 01-05-2009 at 04:26 PM.
    Semper Fi
    NRA Patron Life Member

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway"

Quote Originally Posted by Broomhandle View Post
    I have a Remington 1858 New Model BP replica revolver that I purchased in the 1960's. There is no manufacturer markings anywhere. How can I find out who the maker was ? Are there specific proof marks for Uberti, Pietta, Armi San Marco, etc.?
    There is an equal chance that your 1960's era revolver was made in Spain.

Are there ANY marks on it at all?

Underneath the rammer, fer instance?

tac

On closer inspection the revolver has "Navy Arms Co Ridgefield N.J. Italy" stamped on the top flat of the barrel. "Cal .44" is on the left barrel flat.The right barrel flat has "PN" and a Shield stamped on it with a helmet-like proof marking above each. The right frame has the same markings as on the right barrel flat, along with "XXV".
    I apologize for not taking a better first look.
    Semper Fi
    NRA Patron Life Member

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway"

Clyde is online now Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

I think the "PN" is the Italian proof for black powder ("Pulve negro", IIRC). Helmet in shield may be a maker's trade mark, don't think it is a proof.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

Navy Arms was founded by the collector Val Forgett in 1956, and was the first US-based company to capitalise on the emerging interest in black powder arms of all kinds.

He was the first to bring the products of Uberti, and other Italian gun-makers who had agreed to try their hands at making modern replicas of old-fashioned guns, to an eager audience of American shooters, keen to 'carry on the movement' where their great-grandfathers had left off.

It is difficult to determine the actual maker of your revolver, but the proof marks are those of Gardone Val Trompia - the Italian proof house, and the PN stands for Pulvero Nero - Black Powder.

The unornamented Roman numerals seen on your revolver were used from 1945 until 1975. The XXV [25], shows that your revolver was proofed in 1969.

tac

Default Navy Arms

Val Forgett's first replica revolvers were first sold out of his original business Service Armament Co. in Bogata,NJ.in 1960 .It was a small store fullof miscellaneous Militaria.He had just got a show case to display the revolvers. The first was the Colt 1851 Navy. He showed me the Proto type. He changed the business name To Navy Arms,And subsequently Moved into an empty bank building where business flourished. I think Uberti was the maker. My revolver has a G.U .stamp Possibly Guilio Uberti. Sgt.Ron

"bluebook of gun values" Has a guide to BP proofmarks and year codes at the back which may help.

Just for general info, here is a link to European proof marks listed by nation in alphabetical order:

https://store.bluebookinc.com/Info/P...Proofmarks.pdf

Your Italian proof marks are listed.

Can you tell me the source of your information whereby you knew the pistol was proofed in 1969 because of the roman numeral XXV? I have recently inherited this same pistol and have the same markings as the original poster (Broomhandle) excepting I cannot make out the last roman numeral on mine right now. I also have a 5-digit serial number on the handle. I am researching the gun's origins and am trying to determine the manufacturer as well as the date of manufacture.

Navy Arms only sold Uberti revolvers until 1975 or 1976. The first prototype revolver from Pietta was a stainless 1858. Uberti's first name was Aldo.

Default 1851 uberti navy arms 44 cal,. revolver

I have been reading all your statements on navy arms revolver .
    I have the same revoler that everyone is talking about.
    On the barrle top the words navy arms co ridgefield n j .
    On the brass frameing there is a uberti symbol and on the other side of the brass frame is a xx7 ,the barrle left side has 44 cal. Printed.
    At the front of the trigger guard is a #17867.
    Trying to find a spare cylinder for it.

Any info would be helpfull .

Thanks Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31D798KH1PL__SL500_AA300_.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	8.8 KB 
ID:	499440

born & raised in central Kansas, Moved w/ job to West TX in "95"

Default Armi san Paolo

I believe the first Navy Arms replicas were made by them.
    http://www.civilwarnews.com/watchdog/wd_031101.html
    JDD

I bought my 1858 Remington at Navy Arms back in the late 70s.It's date coded to 1976 I think.

Dixie Gun Works sells spare cylinders for Remington replicas. Keep in mind you have to get a cylinder made by the same manufacturer as your revolver. I own a Euroarms Rogers & Spencer made in 1977. Three months ago I ordered a Euroarms replacement cylinder from Dixie made by Euroarms last year. The new cylinder fit in my revolver PERFECTLY.

You can "Google" up the Dixie Gun Works catalog. They have a spare cylinder for your revolver but you might have trouble finding it on their website. Your best bet is to call them on their toll free number [which you can get off the website.]

Quote Originally Posted by rspetersga View Post
    Can you tell me the source of your information whereby you knew the pistol was proofed in 1969 because of the roman numeral XXV? I have recently inherited this same pistol and have the same markings as the original poster (Broomhandle) excepting I cannot make out the last roman numeral on mine right now. I also have a 5-digit serial number on the handle. I am researching the gun's origins and am trying to determine the manufacturer as well as the date of manufacture.
    I found this on an American Shooting website and thought the chart might help a few owners of Italian Guns.

Check your gun proof marks and see the year of manufacture on the chart below -

That'll be $5, thank you.

tac

I am an international Gunboards patron

Thanks for posting the chart! I had to check a brass frame Navy that I have and found the mark XX8 on it and also a small gear type thing with a star inside it as well as the PN marks. The barrel and cylinder are replacements so I do not know who made it. Anybody have any ideas of what the XX8 might mean?

The gear wheel and star is the proof house of Gardone Val Trompia/Brescia - the XX8 is MEANT to be XXX - 1974. Might be made by a number of Italian makers, but go easy on the loads in a brass frame and you'll be good.

tac
    I am an international Gunboards patron

Quote Originally Posted by Broomhandle View Post
    I have a Remington 1858 New Model BP replica revolver that I purchased in the early 1960's. There is no manufacturer markings anywhere. How can I find out who the maker was ?
    Are there specific proof marks for Uberti, Pietta, Armi San Marco, etc.?

Your gun was made in 1969 by ASP & is a copy of a Remington Beals revolver, not Remington 1858.
    Last edited by argo69; 01-12-2012 at 10:35 PM.