Default Norwegian 6.5mm ammo???

Does anyone have a good recipe for a good Norwegian 6.5mm ammo load, hopefully using 6.5x55mm Swedish components? I have a hungry 1912 Norwegian Krag carbine and no ammo.
    Last edited by NavyOgre; 01-05-2009 at 06:19 PM. Reason: I'm not with stupid, I am he. Norwegian, not Danish.
    "What are you looking for???" "Old, military, unusual, weird.... What'dya got?"

Question

The following comment and question pertained to the original subject header and question, which has referred to a "Danish 6,5mm cartridge", before it was reworded. Thus my previous answer:

Do you mean the rare Danish 6,5x58 R ? It was chambered only for the a few experimental military single shot snipers and subsequent target rifles, and then for the M 1938 Schultz & Larsen hunting rifle.

Carcano
    Last edited by Carcano; 01-05-2009 at 09:16 PM.

Carcano,
    Thank you Sir, I am a fool. I have a 1916 dated Norwegian Krag that I haven't had out of the safe recently. Never shot it because I'd heard that Swiss 6.5x55mm might be too much for it. Still trying to figure out why I'm chasing Danish ammo. I really am fairly good at geography normally.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyOgre View Post
    Swiss 6.5x55mm...i really am fairly good at geography normally.

Sir, the Swiss do not make any 6.5x55 ammunition.

Their service cartridge is/was 7.5x55 Swiss. I shoot three such-calibre arms every week of my life.

7.5x55 Swiss will categorically NOT fit in any 6.5x55 calibre arm.

tac
    www.swissrifles.com

The standard 6.5x55 Swedish Military round is quite safe in the 1912-16 Norwegian Krag Carbine. Being that most American ammo is loaded down because of insurance reasons I don't see why any of that wouldn't be fine also. I would stay away from Norma commercial ammo because they loaded it to the hotter side. I sold my 1912-16 carbine a while back but it did well with the fodder available on a local basis. I wouldn't hand load for it past the rated 45,000cup of the original 6.5x55 Swedish Military Round. Check out "Bolt Action Rifles" 3rd edition by Frank de Haas...Jim

Norwegian krags shoot 6.5x55 just like the swedish mausers.

Quote Originally Posted by richgeller View Post
    Norwegian krags shoot 6.5x55 just like the swedish mausers.
    Yes, and Trapdoors shoot modern .45-70 ammunition... not quite.
    Actually, the Vapenjournalens Ladebok (to quote just one notable Norwegian reloading source) distinguishes both load levels (6,5x55 Krag and 6,5x55 Swedish Mauser) rather clearly.

Carcano

Richgellar,

You must remember there is only one locking lug on the Norwegian Krag. They won't handle the same pressures as the Mauser action. They handle loads in the range I quoted quite well but stay away from the hotter loads. Frank de Haas had a nice section on them in his book and it really is worth the purchase and read...Jim

Actually if things are still in spec, the rear of the guide rib should bear against the front of the receiver bridge also on a Norwegian krag. A nice feature that the US did not figure warranted the extra time in fitting. Normal USA commercial ammo should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by MP78 View Post
    Richgellar,

You must remember there is only one locking lug on the Norwegian Krag.
    Mp78,
    I think you might mean the U.S. Krag?
    I count three on my Norwegian. I believe they all count as locking bolts because you would have to remove all three before the bolt would move reward. :D

Well these are the infos about the B-ammunisjon and D-ammunijon

"B-ammunisjon ( 6,5x55 with roundnose bullet of 10,1 grams) Velocity of 700m/sec at the distance of 25 meters (about 78 feet) pressure of 3000 atmosferes

D-ammunijon M/23 ( 6,5x55 with spitzer bullet of 9,0 grams) Velocity of 745 m/sec at the distance of 25 meters ( about 78 feet) pressure of 3200 atmosferes"

Hanevik, Karl Egil (1998). Norske Militærgeværer etter 1867

regards
    Krag-Jørgensen Gevær M/1894 (Lang Krag), Krag-Jørgensen Gevær M/1894 (Privat), Krag-Jørgensen Karabin M/1904, Krag-Jørgensen Karabin M1912/22, Krag-Jørgensen skarpskyttergevær M/1923, Krag-Jørgensen Elgriflet M/51, Krag-Jorgensen skarpskyttergevær made in the last '70s, Krag-Jørgensen Gevær M1889/10, Krag-Jørgensen M1889/24 Artillery, Krag-Jørgensen Carbine M1889 ( M.89 1929)

OK. Beyond screwing up the previous Swiss/Swedish thing (and I am truely sorry for that and will do penance before both my Norwegian Krag and my Schmidt Rubins) I am a very eclectic collector (see below). I now know that it will take a bit to reload anything for my carbine. You guys are speaking way above my head with the metric units. Guess I'll have to figure out conversions for my Lee Loader and English scales. My problem, and thank you all very much for the info provided. I really do need to brush off that old High School math to convert the units.

JK,

There's only one "locking lug" on the bolt you have pictured. A locking lug retains the pressures generated by the rearward force of the charge, in the case, being ignited. The one locking lug, on the bolt pictured, would be the one that controled headspace. The other two are safeties in case of locking lug failure. It's true the Norwegian Krag is a better designed action than the American Krag because of the secondary protection in case of a primary failure. Read the book I quoted and if you still have a problem with my post please take it up with the author of the book...Jim

Quote Originally Posted by MP78 View Post
    JK,

There's only one "locking lug" on the bolt you have pictured. A locking lug retains the pressures generated by the rearward force of the charge, in the case, being ignited. The one locking lug, on the bolt pictured, would be the one that controled headspace. The other two are safeties in case of locking lug failure. It's true the Norwegian Krag is a better designed action than the American Krag because of the secondary protection in case of a primary failure. Read the book I quoted and if you still have a problem with my post please take it up with the author of the book...Jim
    Jim,
    I just might have to pick up a copy of that book! :D

However... According to "The Krag Rifle Story" By Mallory and Olson, page 31. "the single forward locking lug and the long bolt guide rib of the Danish and Norwegian Krags bear on the receiver to give two locking lugs."

Best wishes, John

NavyOgre,
    I just use the lowest or "starting" load in the reloading manual for my Krags.
    By the way, nice collection you've got there.

John

John,
    Thank you. It's my third collection. First sold after marrying first wife. Second sold to divorce her. This (permanent) collection since, and with the recent help of wife #2. As the tag line says; old, weird, unusual, military... that's for me.
    I guess I'll buy a reloading manual. I've been living off my Lee's die sets and the recommendations there. Time to up my ante. Thanks again.
    V/R,
    Mike

Navy,
    FWIW,
    10.1grams(156grains)@700m/s(2300fps)@25m(82ft)@43,500CUP
    9.0grams(139grains)@745m/s(2444fps)@25m(82ft)@46,400CUP
    Very few people would take velocity readings at 82ft. So at 12ft the speeds would be closer to ~2500 and ~2600fps respectively. And these figures relate to the longer 29" barrel on the M96 Swede. Your speeds should be less. Since most people don't have crusher, piezo, strain, or chrono measurements available, do as you said and use start loads and you may work up. Shooting some 139grain Swede surplus(Prickskyett) over a chrono with your Krag rifle would give an indication of the velocities you should not try to exceed. Most likely you should find an accurate load well before reaching a max vel. Several references are always a good thing. The more the better. best-o-luck