Default Best powder for 45 ACP

So what is everyones favorite powder for reloading 45 auto?
    I have reloaded a couple hundred and I am looking for a good powder. I started out with unique. It did so well in my 44 mag, I wanted to try it in my 45. It had decent results, but it left a lot of residue on the gun (inside and out) like not all of it was burning. I though it was funny, as it burns so good and clean in my 44 mag.
    So next I tried IMR 700X. I have a good bit of that (12lb keg) And I got the data from the sheet that came with my lee carbide die set. It did pretty good, better than unique. But, it has a lot more recoil, muzzle flip, and was noticeably louder. Almost like it was +p. The load was 4.9gr under a 230gr copper jacketed bullet. I worked up from the starting load of 4gr, and 4.9gr was the most accurate. 5gr is the max.
    I just feel like this is a little too hot for my tastes. I dont want to beat up my gun. I am looking for other powders that generally do the best in 45auto. Something that more closely matches the preformance of most factory loaded ammo. I will be shooting mainly 230gr jacketed bullets, but I do have a couple hundred rainier 230gr HP's (copper plated lead, use lead loading data) But once I shoot those up, I will go back to regular copper jacketed bullets.
    Gun is a regular fullsize H&K USP.

Thanks.

I reload, 9x18,38spl.,357 mag.,40S&W, 45 auto and 45 colt all with winchester 231.

By Far for me W231
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

LETS GO PENS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use Bullseye powder exclusively for my 45ACP loads. Very accurate with the Hornady 230gn HAP bullet.
    Last edited by acirema; 01-10-2009 at 05:42 PM.

Two vote for win231, and one for bullseye.
    Keep the reccomendations comeing!

Default Bullseye

Quote Originally Posted by acirema View Post
    I use Bullseye powder exclusively for my 45ACP loads. Very accurate with the Hornady 230gn HAP bullet.
    By far the best bang for the buck, burns clean. What more do you need?

I use w231 for all my 45 acp. I do a lot of bowling pin shoots and use the Ranier HP 230 grain copper plated. The HP rounds grab on to the pins better than the round nose heads. I start off w/5.5 gr. of 231 and as the match progresses the pins get heavier from the amount of rounds it takes then I go to my loads of 5.8 gr. of 231. I have tried other powders but w231 works the best and it is the cleanest. I also use WLP primers.
    " Until now, we knew that Greeks were fighting like heroes; from now on we shall say that the heroes fight like Greeks."
    Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of Britain - 1940.

"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco-from the Good the Bad and the Ugly

I use 5 grains of bulleseye for 230 grain jacketed hollow points (Hornady XTP and Remington Golden Sabres). I like 8.0 grains of Accurate #5 for 200 grain lead round nose.
    Jim

United States Navy (1986 - 2001)
    • USS Charles F. Adams DDG-2
    • USS Ticonderoga CG-47
    • USS McFaul DDG-74

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine

Fair Winds and Following Seas

I use UNIVERSAL CLAYS and Ranier or Berry's 230rn bullets in my XD / 1911 A bit dirty but accurate . The only other powder I have tried is Unique.

Accurate #5 and #7 are the only two I have used for the 185gr. HP. Accurate enough for me in my Norinco. #7 fills the case a little more. Accurate may not be the cleanest burning but I like it.
    Depends on what your looking for. W231 does not seem to give the velocity of #5 or 7 given the pressures it produces.
    Last edited by armyrat1970; 01-11-2009 at 04:52 AM.
    If a man has nothing greater to believe in than himself, he is a very lonely man.

I reckon so. I guess we all died a little in that damn war.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by MEJ1990TM View Post
    Well, all right. Maybe just this once.

Quote Originally Posted by armyrat1970 View Post
    Accurate #5 and #7 are the only two I have used for the 185gr. HP. Accurate enough for me in my Norinco. #7 fills the case a little more. Accurate may not be the cleanest burning but I like it.
    Depends on what your looking for. W231 does not seem to give the velocity of #5 or 7 given the pressures it produces.
    Not to hijack this thread But ArmyRat if you want stellar vel. and a super clean burn with those 185HP give HS-6 a try looking up some data for +P loads and give it a try I easily beat the factory Rem 185+P ammo vel. and acuracy wise with it.PM me if you cant find the data.

Tim

I've been using WW231 for over 30 years & have not found anything to work with any better accuracy. Titegroup also works every bit as well as 231.

i also use bullseye for my pistols.

I still have yet to get into reloading, though I've been doing some reading of late. I'm a bit fuzzy about something while reading this thread: are you guys making these recommendations based on all this being fired through a full-size H&K USP? Would your recommendations be different if the pistol was a m1911 in the usual US Army configuration - all-steel frame, 5" barrel, etc.? I ask because it seems the recommended power and bullet would depend on the pistol being used (weight, length of barrel, etc.)?

Quote Originally Posted by Perplexed View Post
    I still have yet to get into reloading, though I've been doing some reading of late. I'm a bit fuzzy about something while reading this thread: are you guys making these recommendations based on all this being fired through a full-size H&K USP? Would your recommendations be different if the pistol was a m1911 in the usual US Army configuration - all-steel frame, 5" barrel, etc.? I ask because it seems the recommended power and bullet would depend on the pistol being used (weight, length of barrel, etc.)?
    I would still recomend W231 I 've used it in numerous 45 cal pistols including very short barreled AMT back up ,Ruger P90, 1911 types Sig 220 and even the Marlin camp carbine. makes no difference to the the grand old 45 ACP

Tim

Well it looks like win231 has the most votes. So I think I will give that a try and see how it does.

Thanks for all the help!

I'll toss one more vote in for Bullseye. I use it for all of my pistol loads and have had great success...
    "The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament..."

I'm starting, to suspect that I, don't know how to use commas.

I'm also a big bullseye fan, however I never tried the ww powder. I have a Kimber custom target 1911, and a colt original 1911 made in 1917 in mint condition. Both shoot exceptionally well using the bullseye powder. I will try the W231 though........always looking for something better.

Default You like to play in the mud, do you?

Quote Originally Posted by HI SALENITY View Post
    .... The only other powder I have tried is Unique.
    Unique is an all around powder, if I could only have ONE powder that might be it. But d@mn, it is nasty bad dirty. Look like a coal miner afer a day at the range with that stuff.....

W231 for me in 45 target loads.

Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    Not to hijack this thread But ArmyRat if you want stellar vel. and a super clean burn with those 185HP give HS-6 a try looking up some data for +P loads and give it a try I easily beat the factory Rem 185+P ammo vel. and acuracy wise with it.PM me if you cant find the data.

Tim
    Thanks Tim. Have found data on the Handloads.Com site for the 45ACP+P. It list HS6 at 10.0grs. with a velocity of 1162 and 19900cup pressure.
    Not really looking for another specific powder right now for the 45 and looking more at Unique for all of my handloading cast bullet needs for both handgun and rifle. Accurate 5&7 work well enough for me right now and I'm gonna burn up what I have before buying anything for a specific load. But when I run out I may give HS6 consideration. Have to check to see how well it works for the 357.
    Thanks again for the info.
    If a man has nothing greater to believe in than himself, he is a very lonely man.

I reckon so. I guess we all died a little in that damn war.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by MEJ1990TM View Post
    Well, all right. Maybe just this once.

I didn't like the unique in the 45, its a somewhat slower burn powder compared to 231, bullseye. The slower burn softens the recoil enough from what I'm used to to throw my aim off. I use it for my longer barreled magnums because it has a lower pressure spike and the softer recoil means more there.
    Every day is an adventure of one sort or another, if you live, you learn.

Quote Originally Posted by limpetmine View Post
    Unique is an all around powder, if I could only have ONE powder that might be it. But d@mn, it is nasty bad dirty. Look like a coal miner afer a day at the range with that stuff.....
    Really? I shoot it in my desert eagle 44 mag, witch is gas operated. It burns super clean in it. WAY cleaner than any factory load I have ever tried. Any factory load I have shot, left it dirty as crap! Lots of soot and crud. I loaded up some unique as my first atempt at a reaload for the specific round. I could not believe how cleanly it burnt. I shot 50 rounds out of it, and it was still way cleaner than shooting 20 rounds of factory loaded ammo. I love the unique in my 44 mag.

I'm going to start reloading .45ACP soon too, and I'm planning on using AA#7. I'm going to use it for 9mm once I used up the pound of RedDot I have.

I like WW231 in my .45ACP and 9MM loads.

Default 45 acp

I'll stick to 700X =3.6 gr and 200 gr LSWC.or bullseye.up to 50 yrd wins for me and I have the trophys to prove it.

Thumbs up

I'm another Bullseye powder user - great stuff!
    Started with my .45ACP Colt using Red Dot - it's okay. Tried Unique - too grungy! Gunked the gun up.
    Tried Bullseye - fell in love! :cool:

Good thing - I have ten pounds of it.....

Well I took the advice and got some win231. It shot the best group it ever has with the starting load at 25 yards. The higher loads did worse. So I am sticking with the starting load.
    The group with the starting load was half or less than groups I was getting with everything else.

Outstanding !glad it worked well for you.

Tim

Win 231 although a very fast powder. Is also extremely dirty. I use it only when requested by my customers otherwise i will only use red dot 5.4-5.5gr. W/230g bullet vel. 915-975fps and it is alot cleaner than most other powders.

Bullseye with jacket bullets or unique (dirty asher) with wad cutters lead, going to clean more that day anyway= have both<><dk

99% of my .45 Auto shooting is IDPA LSWC ammo.
    I have burned up pounds and pounds of Red Dot, a bit of Unique, Vhitavouri N340, some WST, currently using Rex #2 (since it sells for $26 a Kilo compared to $19 a pound R.D..

My JHP "anti-personnell" ammo is full of Nobelsport Vectan SP2, enough to make 230gr JHP run 1044fps, 185's go 1200fps, 5" barrel.

On the newer jugs of Unique it says "cleaner burning"... or something to that effect. It does seem to be cleaner in my 9mm Reloads than those of Yore!
    "Saigon Tea, 60 P, you no buy you di di DI!"

Quote Originally Posted by ammolab View Post
    On the newer jugs of Unique it says "cleaner burning"... or something to that effect. It does seem to be cleaner in my 9mm Reloads than those of Yore!
    Red Dot says the same thing, dunno, I can't really tell in my uses.

And one more Bullseye shooter for both jacketted and cast. Semper Fi

Talk about a post back from the dead...lol

Still using the win231 and it works great. And its funny how some mention how it burns dirty. It burns real clean for me.
    Same thing with the unique. Burns real clean for me. Now one of the dirtyest powders I have shot were H110 (in my 44mag) that was some nasty stuff, and didnt shoot worth a crap either. For 44 mag I use unique for 240gr and lighter bullets, and 2400 for anything over 240gr (such as 300gr XTP's)