Thread: Mossberg 44 US

Default Mossberg 44 US

Well this is my first post, so I hope that I do it right. I recently inherited a Mossberg 44 US and I would like to know what direction to go with this. When I received this gun and put it up to my shoulder I was amazed at how well balanced and natural it felt. After some research on the internet it is apparent that these guns are both historical and accurate. I have actually become obsessed with them even though I have never fired one. I have ordered one from CMP before I even get this one going. The gun that I have is serial no# 1027xx, Believe it is from the first batch produced and it is equipped with a Lyman 57 MS peep sight, it's bluing is 95% and the bore looks perfect. Now for the bad -- The bolt is junk and the trigger group is junk. The furniture has the typical "character" to it but someone spray painted it on the gun and the paint seems to have penetrated the grain and no amount of cleaning seems to get rid of it (actually started to rub off the finish, so I stopped) If I can find the parts to make this gun operable should I refinish the stock or leave it like it is? Is the butt plate supposed to be blued? The only metal that isn,t in good shape is the floor plate, should that be blued? I have been told that the 42 M (a,b & c ) and the 44 C parts are interchangeable. Does anyone know if that is true? I know that it is a lot of questions but this seems like the place to ask them.

Thanks, Steve

Try this link for parts. https://www.havlinsales.com/
    Try this link for info. http://home.epix.net/~damguy/
    Try this link for forums http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...splay.php?f=51
    HTH
    Barry In MO.

Thanks for the links M1 Crazy. After checking I think this is going to be a little harder than I thought but I am not going to give up yet. In regards to the stock, the butt plate was painted with a spray can (I think) while it was attached and the paint seems to have soaked into the grain , right near the end of it. It wasn't very tightly atttached when I received it. Someone please let me know what way to go as far as restoring this or just go ahead and make it look pretty. Any info will be appreciated.

Thank you, Steve

First of all is it one with the parkerized barrel or blued barrel? The blued rifles had a much better stock finish on them from the factory. Nicely stained and either an oil or varnish finish much like the civilian stocks.

The parkerized ones were rebuilt in the 60s in an arsenal and most of the stocks I've seen have been birch with a heavy red stain and oil finish on top of that. In my opinion there isn't too much you can do with birch to make it look good. They alway are splotchy so the heavy red stain helped hide that.

And what do you mean by junk bolts and triggers? Non functioning? Explain so we can advise.

This CMP article has a section on Mossberg 44US stocks you may find helpful.
    http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles...ng_article.htm

The gun is blued finish. As far as the bolt goes the bolt body itself has a two cracks in it at the slots where the extractors are and one of the extractors is broken. The end of the bolt body actually tapers in on both sides where the cracks are (somebody did some real butchering on this). The trigger bracket is bent beyond repair, no angle bar, missing trigger spring plunger and spring and a bent trigger pin (more amateur gunsmithing I guess).

Oh, by the way reddog, thanks for the link in regards to the stock. I think that will be very helpful.

Is there anybody on this forum anymore?

The answer is yes...there are folks here...I just added a M44 to my collection as well...they are great little guns, and as you mentioned, point very naturally. Many of the CMP guns have cracked or worn triggerguards due to the synthetic material..read this on the CMP website. I would think that parts are available as there are alot of rifles out there. Try Numrich Gun Parts Corp and also check the auction sites like Gun Broker and ebay. I was able to get a spare magazine on Gun Broker. Numrich is www.gunpartscorp.com. Also, Tom-M here on the Boards is very knowledgeable about US Property rifles. I bought my M44 from his dad.
    Good luck,
    Flakshield
    "Even a small star shines in the darkness"
    Finnish Proverb

Thank you Flakshield. I have been in touch with Vic Havlin and he informed me that these parts are getting hard to obtain. He said that he used to recieve them by the pallet but now they are becoming harder to get. I have been trying all of the outlets that have been recommended and am not having much luck. Havlin's said that the bolt would interchange with a 42M (a,b,&c) or a 44C ( all ) Does anyone have one of these for sale? Also I need a complete trigger group- I mean everything- It's junk (not operable.) I don't want to buy anything from a gun that would be restorable but rather something that was for parts. If anyone out there has something , please let me know. Thank you, Steve

Default May I add my .02 ?

Welcome sschrad to GunBoards and the world of Mossbergs !!

I was very lucky to step into a local private purchase of a 44US a few years ago. It was completely unexpected. So, patience is the word here. Do go to your local gunshows, talk to the local gunshops, get names, hints, leads, rumors, whatever. Then, track them down, take LOTS of notes, and then ask them the same questions again. Persevere, and you will be rewarded, Young Jedi. (OOoopps!! channeling some Yoda, I guess)...

Go register and join RimFireCentral, also. Don't abandon this place, either!
    Ask the members on the forums if they have any parts for the 44 that they might sell to you.

Ask, ask, ask!! Look, look, look!!

Go register on GunBroker.com and AuctionArms.com. Just keep looking. Remember that Lady Fortune favors the prepared man.

Good luck in your quest. Cheers!! funday-plinker
    I take a measure of a man by the work scars on his hands, how he looks me in the eye, and if he has a hearty laugh.

Thanks for the advice. Guess I can't rush this but rather just enjoy the chase! I have registered on Gunbroker and am looking forward to a gun show coming to town on April 4-5. I can see why collecting Mossy's is so interesting. There is a lot of information out there and I am learning more every day. It' downright addicting. OBTW I talked with Vic Havlin again and he hooked me up with some trigger parts and I bought his book, no luck with the bolt but, I'll find it somewhere - sometime!