Thread: Casting 9mm Makarov bullets

Default Casting 9mm Makarov bullets

I have read the threads on here about casting Mak and all seem to use the Lee 2 hole bullet mold. Does anyone else make a 95gn RN Mak mold?
    The threads were a couple of years old, are any of those casters still here and casting? I'd like some advice.

jpb
    It's easier to plow around the stump.

I don't see one on either RCBS' or Lyman's sites.

I've cast a bunch with the Lee mold. It will work fine.

I cast a lot of my own, but wanted to try some cast in the 9x18 before I invested in a mold.
    I got 500 from these guys and they work great.
    http://www.betterbullets.com/documents/KSS_Pricing.pdf

Just thought I would share.
    -greg

Quote Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
    I have read the threads on here about casting Mak and all seem to use the Lee 2 hole bullet mold. Does anyone else make a 95gn RN Mak mold?
    The threads were a couple of years old, are any of those casters still here and casting? I'd like some advice.

jpb
    RCBS offers a "97gr" mold, part number RCB82248 according to the one I have, but the one I had never did cast anything with it worth getting excited about in terms of accuracy. Rapine makes a nice Makarov bullet mold, but not sure it does anything the Lee Mold won't do as far as accuracy goes. Years ago I designed a SWC bullet for the Makarov, and Makarov.com had the molds made up by Lee in 6-cavity versions. Those bullets were always great preformers but I think the last of those molds sold out several years ago. Not sure if any have turned up on the used market or not. Magma Engeering has a mold listed for the Makarov, but I have not tried that one.
    I have an old NEI 4 cavity mold that turns out a nice flat point Round nose bullet of about 97 grains from the typical alloy in the pot at the time, but now that I mention it, I have not seen or used that one for a few years, and not even sure where it is.

-George