Thread: Bolt head size on brand new Enfields?

Default Bolt head size on brand new Enfields?

I have a brand new Faz No4 Mk2 that I took out of the "mummy wrap" and noticed that it had a "2" marked bolt head.

I also have a 1950 Long Branch No4 Mk1* from Brian Dick that was very little used. It has a "0" marked bolt head.

Interesting thing is when I swap out bolt heads between the rifles, the LB "0" head fits just like the original Faz "2" head did, and vice versa.

Does this mean my Faz "2" head or LB "0" head was mis-marked?

I thought that new Enfields typically came with 0 or 1 bolt heads in order to give some room for future replacement?

Mick

Bolt head number sizing was done as a manufacturing shortcut. Whatever size was needed was used. (0 thru 3)
    Replacement was just a side benefit, although when a rifle goes out of headspace it's due to wear elsewhere.

If there's nothing wrong with the rifles now, don't worry about it. I don't think very many of us could wear out one of these in our lifetimes.

All the bolt heads fit all the bolts (otherwise the swapping to correct headspace wouldn't work)
    You'd need to use a headspace gage to see the difference.

and you probably couldn't shoot enough to change the CHS before the barrel required replacement anyway.

Thanks for the responses, guys. My assumption was that if the bolt head lug over turned the bolt body (as shown in the Canadian tech manual), then head space would be too long, necessitating going to the next size head.
    In other words, longer bolt heads had a longer thread.

So, what you're saying is that for the most part, the threaded portions are all the same, it's the body of the head that varies in length...

Mick

Out of over a dozen new unissued No. 4s I only have one with a 2 bolthead. The rest are 0 or 1. I did not pick them with any thought of the bolt head number, most came straight from the importer/distributor sight unseen. These include all the British makers and Long Branch. The 2 head is on a 1943 Faz that, although new, looks more like a dispersal factory SMLE in quality and woodwork.

Mick, There's a bit of overlap between adjacent bolthead numbers, I suppose it's possible even skipping, like 0 to 2.

Bolthead sizing originally was just a tool to quickly compensate for the unavoidable tolerance stack up between machined parts. Having a #2 bolthead hasn't any negative connotation.

Brad