Thread: German Gold for Iron medal

Default German Gold for Iron medal

Here is a little thing I picked up. It is an iron medal awarded to those who donated gold to the war effort.

On the obverse: In eisener zeit, 1916 (In the time of Iron, 1916)

On the reverse: Gold gab ich zur wehr eisen nahm ich zur ehr (I gave gold for defense and took Iron for my honour)

Quite a fun little medal!

Hey Bayonet Collector,
    I have a ring I bought when I was a kid that was issued in New York, to Americans who donated gold, it has the inscription
    DEM ALTEN VATERLAND
    DIE TREUE ZU BEWEISEN
    GAB ICH IN SCHWERER ZEIT
    IHM GOLD FÜR DIESES EISEN
    1914 DHG NY
    With the Iron Cross in the center, I will post a photo, as soon as I can get my *&%$# camera to work (please excuse my French)
    Bes twishes
    Gus

Interesting Gus, I wonder what "DHG" stood for. "Deutsches Heimat(?) Gesellschaft" ??? Was it a replica or the real McCoy? Hope you can tame the $%£µ@& camera! (Your French is not bad in this case).

Hey Big Commander,
    The ring is original, and show up from time to time, I think I paid about $3 for mine in 1969. There was a rather large number of remainders that were found around that time. I do not know what the DHG stands for, but from what I remember, it was a German patriotic society based in New York City.
    Gus

For those who do not read German:

To prove my allegiance to the old fatherland I gave in (this) difficult time gold for this Iron. 1914 DHG NY

Quote Originally Posted by Gustaf B View Post
    DEM ALTEN VATERLAND
    DIE TREUE ZU BEWEISEN
    GAB ICH IN SCHWERER ZEIT
    IHM GOLD FÜR DIESES EISEN
    1914 DHG NY

OK, I managed to get the photos out of my camera, and in apology to my camera and French speaking people everywhere, it was my fault that it was not working (please, no "dumb Swede" comments from the Norwegian delegation).

The first photo shows the ring in question alongside a brass ring with an Iron Cross design, I was told the brass ring was a replacement for a gold wedding ring that was given to support the war, I have no evidence to back it up, but it was a logical explanation, and the ring only cost me a couple of dollars (in 1970)
    Best wihses
    Gus

I have an Iron ring I bought in Southern Germany in the mid 80s. If I get the chance I will post a photo of it.
    Last edited by Michael Jon Littman; 01-25-2009 at 12:44 PM.

Hey! When did this become a ring thread? :D

Joking aside... Great pictures of that ring, Gus! A nice item. I'd love to pick up one like that to complement that medal. MJL, do post pictures of yours, please.

Is this better, Gus?

(I can restore those posts in a few minutes if you prefer to keep them public... :D)
    Last edited by Bayonetcollector; 01-25-2009 at 07:17 PM.

"Upsate" New York - The Finger Lakes Region

Hi BC, Gus, et al!

Very nice.

I have a couple of the tokens and they are 'neat!' Also the US equivalent, given for donations to the Liberty Loans, they are coins (tokens) made from melted down "Captured German Cannons."

Maybe the US Treasury should start doing this instead of giving money to the banks. At least we'd have something to put in our pockets!

- Best regards! Mike
    "Plunk your magic twanger Froggy!" - Andy Devine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9pPFCjRPvM

"Where does the mind end and the world begin?"

Hey Mike,
    If you have time, post photos of the Gold for Iron items you have, be they German or American. These are a small token of the "Home front".
    Best wihes
    Gus

"Upsate" New York - The Finger Lakes Region

Thumbs up

Hi Gus!

Here's a scan of some odds 'n ends. Somewhere I have some script from German SouthEast Africa that is pretty neat. Will see if I can find it in my..... "well organized" collection.

Top to bottom:
    - German Gold for Iron Tokens
    - US Treasury Dept. "German Cannon Token"
    - (Left to Right)
    - German POW Camp Token - Lamsdorf
    - German (Russian Territory) Occupation Currency 1916
    - Belgian Occupation Coin 1916 - May be by government 'in absentia?'

- Best Regards! Mike
    Last edited by MikeS; 01-26-2009 at 06:53 PM.
    "Plunk your magic twanger Froggy!" - Andy Devine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9pPFCjRPvM

"Where does the mind end and the world begin?"

Hey Mike, You run the risk of offending the Moderators by changing this thread into a POW, occupation coin thread, I am off to the dark room to seek a few examples
    Gus

Oh Thor, Mighty God of Thunder,
    Please forgive me for this off topic post, but Mike started the POW thing.
    Here is a POW dog tag that came to me through my great uncle's estate, I do not know how he came to have it, he served as an Engineer in the US Army, and was never captured. I found a camp script to go with it, those of you who are not familiar with Holzminden, it was a camp with a bad reputation for misstreatment by the Comandant. Those who are familiar with "The Great Escape" of WWII, aalready know part of the story of the great escape of WWI. It happened at Holzminden, and it was so close to the same story, it would seem uncanny, but if fact, was the experiance that wrote the book for the British airmen who would escape in WWII.

Best wishes
    Gus

If I may contribute my uneducated 2 cents on the possible intrepretation of the DHG. Since this was a US based German patriotic group, could it have stood for something like Duechland (sp) "Home Guard" or "History Guild". Or something along those lines. We assume it would be an abbreviation of German words whereas it could be English. Just a thought.
    Last edited by OldManKiller; 01-27-2009 at 07:56 AM.
    Bobby
    USAF 77-81
    USAFRES 81-85

Hey OMK,
    According to AGM's ad, it stands for German Historical Group, but I think this is not quite right.
    Gus

Hey OMK,
    According to AGM's ad, it stands for German Historical Group, but I think this is not quite right.
    Gus

you mean Deutschland Historical Group?

Since my last post I have been scanning the Google Books for WWI 1914 related info, and what I found out was that during 1914 German-American social groups were raising money for the Fatherland, but by the end of that year the rest of America was turning against Germany and anything German. Many of these groups didn't survive the war. I suspect that the DHG may have been one of these German heritage social groups that no longer exists.

AGM may have been guessing like us.
    Bobby
    USAF 77-81
    USAFRES 81-85

Hey Mike, You run the risk of offending the Moderators by changing this thread into a POW, occupation coin thread,
    Oh, that's perfectly all right. (You should know by now, Gus, that you are the only one here singled out for unjust persecution by those with admin and moderator powers... REmember what Tuco did to your avatar? :D)

Great banknote and POW tag, Gus, interesting stuff!

Here are my POW bills, posted before, but they fit here too. From Golzen and Graudenz (Officers POW camp) respectively.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2006520185211_golzenpowfunfpfennig.jpg   2006520185441_graudenzpowzehnmark.jpg  

BC, the serial number of the 10 Mark note appears to have been changed at some point.
    Bobby
    USAF 77-81
    USAFRES 81-85

Quote Originally Posted by OldManKiller View Post
    you mean Deutschland Historical Group?

Since my last post I have been scanning the Google Books for WWI 1914 related info, and what I found out was that during 1914 German-American social groups were raising money for the Fatherland, but by the end of that year the rest of America was turning against Germany and anything German. Many of these groups didn't survive the war. I suspect that the DHG may have been one of these German heritage social groups that no longer exists.

AGM may have been guessing like us.

Nope, Jeff wrote German historical group, which in my opinion, is just as correct as combinig Deutsch with English wording, I still think that we have not found the correct combination. I have been looking for the catalogue that I ordered it from, as I believe that the catalogue has the correct wording.
    Gus

Quote Originally Posted by Bayonetcollector View Post
    Oh, that's perfectly all right. (You should know by now, Gus, that you are the only one here singled out for unjust persecution by those with admin and moderator powers... REmember what Tuco did to your avatar? :D)

Great banknote and POW tag, Gus, interesting stuff!

Here are my POW bills, posted before, but they fit here too. From Golzen and Graudenz (Officers POW camp) respectively.
    Somewhere in my mess, I have a few POW notes, but I can not even find my pants right now, so bear with me (no pun intended) By the way, I doubt that Tuco was responsible for my avaar change.
    Gus

) By the way, I doubt that Tuco was responsible for my avaar change.
    The very last and very short one (quickly rectified) was my doing, I admit that. The previous ones (about when the change of software happened) were not my doing.

I wondered why it was a different monkey
    Gus

Custom made for you, my friend.

nice pictures ,oldest money i have is early 30's but i mainly collect ww2 german