Thread: How to identify ammo case markings? Bulgarian/year?

Default How to identify ammo case markings? Bulgarian/year?

Picked these up at a show where the vendor unfortunately had one identifying sign over a mixed pile of crates...good price so couldn't pass them up. Want to be positive on what type etc...I went to Ted's 7.62x54r.net ammo index and the closest I found was Bulgarian 10/87, but no 10/82 (see my pic's of head shot and crate). What is the pertinent identifiers on ammo crates - good resources to translate? Is the bottom number always the year? Thanks!

Bulgarian steel core light ball, 1982 vintage. The lot/year/factory numbers are most often to the left side of the markings, underneath the caliber/type/case material markings at the top of the can. Usually, the powder lot information, to the right of the loading lot information on the left, will show a year within one year of the load date.

D.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
    Bulgarian steel core light ball, 1982 vintage. The lot/year/factory numbers are most often to the left side of the markings, underneath the caliber/type/case material markings at the top of the can. Usually, the powder lot information, to the right of the loading lot information on the left, will show a year within one year of the load date.

D.D.
    Thanks for the info...I also went back & answered part of my question by finally getting through the rest of TW Lapin's "The Mosin-Nagant Rifle" 4th ed...for the other newbies, this is a good book/resource (in addition to this and other forums ) with quite a bit of extra info (like the ammo id info starting on page 200 ). it did say that the 12 o'clock stamp is generally the factory code (can be 2, 3 digit &/or combination of letters...) & the year at the 6 o'clock...with the usual caveats regarding the myriad of variations between country of origin and time periods ect...didn't realize there would be so many.

Does anyone know of any other reference material/resources to aid identifying/reading the outer cases of ammo - just want to be better prepared for future purchases.

Can see now why it is so difficult to get all possible examples documented - man, folks like Ted @ 7.62x54r.net & Joe Leiper, you've done an incredible job scratching the surface of this. This newer member to the MN community greatly appreciates all that you & the others not mentioned have done to bring all this info together so far. Clear that this is going to be a life-long learning experience!

Off to another show today - an itch begging to be scratched...

Wort,
    Go to the Home Page of this Sight, open 110 years of the 7.62x54r,
    open Russian Cartridge, scroll down to the ID Markings on the Spam Can!
    This should help on some of the stuff that you are looking for!

Cheers
    Doc

Quote Originally Posted by doc View Post
    Wort,
    Go to the Home Page of this Sight, open 110 years of the 7.62x54r,
    open Russian Cartridge, scroll down to the ID Markings on the Spam Can!
    This should help on some of the stuff that you are looking for!

Cheers
    Doc
    Thanks DOC - hadn't explored mn.net's ammo section yet...the "Packaging" image helped (http://www.mosinnagant.net/r2ssia.asp)
    Chris