Default Type 38 carbine sling length?

I just acquired a Type 38 carbine, series 5, Nogoya. I would like to get a sling, even a repro for now, but need to know if the regular 38 slings will work for the carbine. Are they too long? This is my first Arisaka since the one my grandfather gave me 40 years ago was stolen. I'm pretty enthused right now! Would the ruberrized be appropriate or do I need to stick to the leather.

Thanks
    What's next?

Hello Boneman :

Since you are after looks and utility rather than originality, a T-38 sling that is no more than 40 inches long will work fine. There are reproductions made of leather and rubberized canvas available on the internet for 20 to 40 bucks with hardware you can go that route.
    Since Japan began using rubberized canvas to substitute for leather during the China Incident starting in 1937, and usage of that material expanded during the Pacific War it would be ok to install either material as long as the sling is 1 1/8 wide.
    Vicasoto

Thanks, Vicasoto. Very helpful. I will do that for now and keep my eye out for an original.
    Boneman
    What's next?

I remember looking for years for my first carbine sling. Seems like they show up every now & then these days. E-bay is a good place to watch. I have run across a couple that are longer than the prescribed 40 inches. The main criteria I've found is the 1 1/8" width, a square buckle (rifle slings are a narrow rectangle), only one position for the buckle (rifle slings have two positions) and usually two keepers. These can be found in both leather and rubberized canvas. here's a couple of photos of one of mine. Good hunting!
    Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated
    The Borg

Rob's is a great example. Carbine slings are generally 40" in overall length and type 30-38rifle slings are 43".
    I'm broke, and I blame Imperial Japan.

Thanks for the pictures, and additional info. I've got a steep learning curve but looking forward to the climb.
    What's next?