East German Steel Helmet?

Thread: East German Steel Helmet?

Default East German Steel Helmet?

What does everyone think of these helmets I ordered one, and it came in like new condition with the leather suspension stamped NVA over I./C ?

I thinks its pretty awesome I also scored some new G3 rubber mag pouches for .99 each

check these 2 links and tell me what you think...

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/TRW142-1.html
    and
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ZWN249-1.html

No Collection is complete without a DDR helmet. They provide superior head protection. I've seen one that someone tested with a 9mm and the slug didn't penetrate the shell.
    "Whale; The Other White Meat."

Quote Originally Posted by mr_b8908 View Post
    I also scored some new G3 rubber mag pouches for .99 each
    Mr_b:

The mag pouches show up as $4.97 each. How did you get them for .99?

Thanks.
    Purists of the world, unite!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    Samuel Adams

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Default Helmet questions for the experts here...

Over the years, I have picked up a wide array of old helmets of different eras - Swiss, WWII German, Russian, Bulgarian, Spanish, Yugo, Italian, Jap, French (19th and 20th Century, Belgium, Danish, and my DDR...

Does anyone know of the design rationale that went into the DDR helmet? It appears that there are two schools of design in all of these - most are of a "cylindrical" body design (that is, sides are almost vertical - even in the German styles - though many have a "rim" of some sort) - the Danish, WWI Swiss, and DDR helms, however are more conoid/conical in shape. This design would appear to be purposeful and my thinking is that this type of design would offer superior deflection capability?!

Is this, indeed, why these are designed in this fashion? Are there any sites that demonstrate the advantage of this "turtle" like design?

Thanks for your thoughts and congrats on a great deal on that DDR helmet!!!

It's hard to believe that such a great piece of equipment can be found on the planet for under $12!!! Think I'll order a couple more!

TPTB will probably be after our helmets right after they confiscate all those dreaded "assault" rifles! God help us....
    Last edited by TnDoc; 02-01-2009 at 09:09 AM.

Well... So much for that thought. CTD is sold out!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard in NY* View Post
    Mr_b:

Thanks.

I actually ordered 3 of the older canvas version ones and they sent me the new ones!!!!:D

Quote Originally Posted by TnDoc View Post
    Well... So much for that thought. CTD is sold out!
    Try Ebay. They have some dealers that sell lots of helmets for as much, or less, than CTD. The helmet was based on a design that was based on the German WWII helmet that Hitler rejected in late 1944. The originals look almost like the East German, except it had WWII style rivits and different chin straps. Suspension more like the WWII models.

Yes, the M44 I saw deflected the 9mm round. It's an offshoot of German helmet developement.
    Last edited by tedley2; 02-01-2009 at 03:04 PM.

Tedley2... A belated thanks for the post!

http://www.webalice.it/jaberon/Germa...lumentarn.html

GERMAN DDR M56

The design of this helmet goes back to 1943, but its adopion was discarded by A. Hitler even if it granted a better head protection to the soldiers. It was adopted by NVA (the East German Army) in 1956. This one is the first type, with 3 rivets holding a suspension liner system similar to the wartime M31. The camo hood in blumentarn pattern comes from an uniform of first ‘60s. This helmet with dark green shell, 3 external rivets, M31 liner and blumentran camo hood is pretty rare and should not be confused with the common grey M56/76 VOPO.

these early first type with a WWII style M31 liner are rare, since after 1965 most were refurbished with a new type of plastic one size fits all liner.

I have a nice early first model like this one
    Last edited by BOLO; 02-06-2009 at 09:20 AM.

Default winter snow camo

a EG soldier uses newspaper under the helmet net to camoflage his helmet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails post-17472-1233938659.jpg  
    Last edited by BOLO; 04-21-2010 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BOLO View Post
    a EG soldier uses newspaper under the helmet net to camoflage his helmet.
    That turns up a good bit as winter camo.

Quote Originally Posted by BOLO View Post
    The design of this helmet goes back to 1943, but its adopion was discarded by A. Hitler even if it granted a better head protection to the soldiers. It was adopted by NVA (the East German Army) in 1956.
    the DDR M56 was based on the prototype M45 helmet developed towards the end of WW2. the soviets initially were not keen on its adoption as its appearance had connotations of german militarism; this was also the case with the NVA's uniform. ironically, hitler rejected the M45 because it was a break with the traditional appearance of the stahlhelm (he disliked the M44 BDU on similar grounds).

it is commonly held that the M56 (there were 3 versions) was the most advanced steel helmet design ever fielded.

Default East German helmet

hey I just got my East German helmet in today from (CTD) It was $11.49, hell shipping was more that the helmet,

any way here is what I would like to know, the helmet look too new, i found no date on it, only marking are on the leater linning with is NVA 1/U, Could this been make atfer the wall coming down,

also head up I BOUGHT some nice china SKSchest rig magazine holder for $5.99 from CTD
    FRANK A,U.S.ARMY
    3/3/33 ARMOR The MEN OF WAR
    1/1/34 ARMOR The CENTURIONS
    Ayers Kaserne & Ft. Riley
    Service-Connected Disabled Veteran.

Quote Originally Posted by TANKERFRANK View Post
    hey I just got my East German helmet in today from (CTD) It was $11.49, hell shipping was more that the helmet,

any way here is what I would like to know, the helmet look too new, i found no date on it, only marking are on the leater linning with is NVA 1/U, Could this been make atfer the wall coming down,

also head up I BOUGHT some nice china SKSchest rig magazine holder for $5.99 from CTD
    To answer your question idk but mine has the same markings as your and I also cant find a date either but i still think its an original but pssssh even if its a knock off its really well made and really neat to boot!!

I'd have to dig out one of my DDR helmets, but I believe the size and year are stamped in the metal shell on one of the interior sides. Has been awhile since I messed with them.

Quote Originally Posted by TANKERFRANK View Post

This could be a date code. First Qtr. of 1978. I never have bought from CTD because of the shipping cost.

niether of my two have dates or anything on them. And both look OLD.....Can someone post a pic of where the date mark is?

IMO the older ones ( 3 rivets ) are more comfortable then the newer ones .

I'll post pics later, but there are date codes stamped into the metal. The stamping can be rather faint, as in one of my helmets only part of it can be made out.

If you look inside the helmet, about where the ear would be on the wearer's left, you should find a set of three marks similar to this:

II size code
    2 quarter year of production
    88 year of production

There's is still plenty of material out there that has been in storage since production. For example, I would look through crates of unissued field boots, rucks, or MPiKM magazine pouches, with a wide range of date codes available. That was just a few years ago.

ETA: Photo added.
    Last edited by Hauptmann; 03-23-2009 at 11:03 PM.
    Member: SEGMC; MSR-16

Quote Originally Posted by Richard in NY* View Post
    Mr_b:

Thanks.
    Might have been on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by tedley2 View Post
    Might have been on sale.

Nope nope! its wierd i just ordered from them again and got a mortar crate a m10 gas mask and another ammo pouch, and once again I got the rubber one as opposed to the .99ct canvas one i ordered!!!:D

how many sizes did they make? I have a large head, and yes-I do try them on! Color me dork I guess....

I am looking ofr the largest size they made....The two I have are the II size. Is there a III? Or IV?

One of mine is 73 dated, the other is, I think 68 or 69.....

My DDR helmet came with a net and two camo covers. Picked up a white MP cover for 10 bucks later. I haven't seen too many of those early helmets with a M-31 liner. Not many German M-45 helmets (M-42 without air holes on sides) around either...

Quote Originally Posted by cousinkix1953 View Post
    My DDR helmet came with a net and two camo covers.
    Nice. I've had to find each of those items for my helmets separately.
    Member: SEGMC; MSR-16

Quote Originally Posted by ruskiegunlover View Post
    how many sizes did they make? I have a large head, and yes-I do try them on! Color me dork I guess....

I am looking ofr the largest size they made....The two I have are the II size. Is there a III? Or IV?

One of mine is 73 dated, the other is, I think 68 or 69.....
    they were made in 3 shell sizes:

I - small

II -medium

III - large

I have a size III dated 1 - 71 [Jan 1971] with the adjustable liner, it fits me well and I wear a US size 7 5/8 large hat size

size III shells are kind of hard to find [rare] but I found mine picking through the helmets at a large surplus store

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1926 9130 010..jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	140.3 KB 
ID:	302833Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1926 9130 012..jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	257.8 KB 
ID:	302832Here's my March 1959 model.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1926 9130 014..jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	302831

Sportsman's Guide now has them both used and unissued at a pretty good price. Mine came unissued but the net looks aftermarket, and way too tight.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TRW-142.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	381939

East German Steel Helmet Grade I Complete Suspension System and Chin Strap

Item # TRW-142 Out of Stock

East German Steel Helmet Grade I Complete Suspension System and Chin Strap $11.97

Quote Originally Posted by mr_b8908 View Post
    What does everyone think of these helmets I ordered one, and it came in like new condition with the leather suspension stamped NVA over I./C ?

I thinks its pretty awesome I also scored some new G3 rubber mag pouches for .99 each

check these 2 links and tell me what you think...

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/TRW142-1.html
    and
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ZWN249-1.html
    NVA = NATIONAL VOLKSARMEE [PEOPLES ARMY]

I / C = your liner was manufactured in the first quarter of the year in 1983

I remember seeing old advertisements in Shotgun News back in the mid 1980's and the East German M56 and M56/76 helmets were priced around $250 - $300 and up ,each! but this was a few years before the wall came down, they used to be be rare and hard to get, a few were brought back as war trophies

the North Vietnamese also used EG helmets
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015-06-09_174334.jpg  

Got one from Keep Shootin recently. Looks brand new and was pretty cheap.

Default East German M56 used by the PAVN

here's a photo showing a female member of the People's Army of Vietnam during wartime wearing one of these East German supplied M56 steel helmets, primarily used by self defense forces, anti-aircraft and artillery crews, and truck drivers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PAVN.jpg  

Before the wall came down in 89 NVA helmet's - lake most Warsaw Pact stuff was hard to find and expensive. After the wall...I knew collectors crying over the devaluation of their collections.

The PAVN was supplied by the DDR / East Germany , these photos show North Vietnamese soldiers along the HO CHI MINH TRAIL during the Vietnam War wearing the M56 Steel helmet.

http://www.oldpicz.com/ho-chi-minh-trail/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016-05-30_080152.jpg   2016-05-30_080046.jpg   2016-05-30_075609.jpg