Talking FOUND!; CZ-82 Carry Holster!

Since Receiving my CZ-82, I have been looking for a "Mexican Carry" belt slot hammer block retainer strap & snap CWP holster like the one that I usually pack my Systema 27 .45 in.
    It's the most comfortable discrete carry holster that I've ever worn, and I sometimes almost forget that "Ol' Slabsides" is riding back there on my right hip, muzzle tucked down into my hip pocket.

Alas; the Mexican leather company that made my .45 holster went out of business years ago, and no one seems to make exactly what I had in mind - although one of the holsters offered on the CZ website comes really close by the looks of it.

Was going to see what I could discover at a gun show last week, but family matters took priority so I missed it. So while on the way back from a shopping mission in Augusta (ME) yesterday I stopped in to a local Fire / Police Supply and Gun Shop which is out that way to see what might be found.

Before long I came upon the cardboard box full of second hand police trade or turn-in holsters; lots of patent leather (no thanks!) and wheel gun holsters, but there was a fair representation of auto pistol holsters mixed in, so I cleared my CZ-82 (which, since my .45 started failing to chamber my carry rounds fairly frequently, I'm using as my CWP piece until I can get a new mainspring and perhaps barrel with slightly looser chamber for the .45) and dug right in.

After trying on a plethora of sorta almost not quite gee maybe holsters, at length I came up with one that not only fit my little '82 like it was made for it (actually, by the way the leather was moulded for a square front trigger guard, it might have been for a CZ-83) but it was exactly the style that I have been looking for! Even better; it has an extra belt slot for cross-draw configuration.

In case you might want to try to look up where you might get one like it, the Model number stamped into the lower inside of the holster is:

930 / 72

To enhance my rejoicing over this find even more, the box was marked with magic - marker: "Bargain Holsters; $5 each.".

The leather was a little dry, but a liberal application of my home-brewed nasty smelling leather dope soon cured that, and darkened the brown holster to a nearly black sheen.

As well as the original military holster with it's spare magazine and cleaning rod fit into my fanny pack, I will probably start packing high strongside like I do with the .45.
    I am quite confident that this new / used "Strong" Holster will be every bit as comfortable and secure as my old Mexican .45 rig.

Bottom / Lower end of holster with muzzle showing through open end and curvature of leather "pancake" design:

Kinda sinister lookin, ain't it?

That's great! Whenever I'm at a gunshow or shop I always check out the used holster bin...one can never have too many holsters or slings! That's one heavy-duty looking holsters. $5 well spent.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." Robert E. Lee

You betcha that was a deal and a half! Looks like it'll be comfortable too. Congrats.
    Youth And Brawn Are No Match For Age And Treachery.
    I'm Old And May Not Fight. I'll Shoot Instead.

USMC 1959-1963

While waiting for an IWB holster to be made for my cz-82 I have been using a Galco Fletch made for a Bertetta 84/85 Browning BDA. I had to work the leather around the snap to get it to fit but it works well for now.

By the way..... Nice find and the info may help someone else......
    Last edited by 9x18shooter; 10-29-2007 at 04:53 PM. Reason: add

Talking Works 4 Me!

On closer examination I'm not sure that this holster was actually made for the CZ - it has a couple of "bumps" over the trigger area that don't correspond to anything on my CZ-82.
    Perhaps a similarly sized SIG-Saur perchance?

By anointing the leather with plenty of softening and protective Ballistol, I was able to jam the slide (with the safety on to lock it forward) down in a little further so that the muzzle comes a little closer to the end and the thumb strap has a little more slack to it.

Having worn it out and about a couple of times, it is proving to be every bit as comfortable as my old "VIKING" boot for the Systema 27.

(I photo edited the background - my shirt - a little to make the subject stand out better)

How hard is it to reholster with your belt on the outside of the holster?

I thought a pancake holster was worn with the gun outside the belt (belt goes over holster, thru slot, behind gun thru other slot and over other side of holster)?
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." Robert E. Lee

Oui, mon oncle Jacques, ab4ka is right. The belt goes behind the gun.

Cool To Each Our Own...

You fellas can pack your iron however you want to;
    This is how I rig mine.

It's sort of a modified "Mexican Carry" which as I recall was described by the late great Col. Jeff COOPER as not using a holster at all, but sticking the pistol under the belt behind the hip with the muzzle tucked down into the hip pocket.

I've actually packed my Systema that way a few times, and although it's not nearly as secure as a proper thumb strap holster, it's not all that bad.

The belt going over the body of the holster tends to blend the contour of the pistol with the natural curvature of the hip, causing less of a "signature" on a covering garment.

In my experience it is perfectly comfortable and does not compromise my draw in the least.

Re-holstering with this rig is a breeze - since it's stiff enough to hold itself open when empty, it's about like reholstering in a regular police duty open holster. I can feel the muzzle back into it without having to look down at it.

It's a lot better than those inside the waistband holsters where not only do I have to search it out but usually use my left hand to hold it open while I shove the pistol back into it with my right.
    That's awkward.

The spring clips that most of them attach to the belt with are notoriously unreliable, and more often than not when I pull my iron the blasted holster comes out with it.
    That can be embarrassing at the very least.

Our choice of holsters as well as how we like to wear them is kind of like hats, I suppose; it's one of those idiosyncratic, individual things.

I do agree that your holster looks heavy-duty enough to stay open without the gun. It's a great looking rig.

I picked up an "in the pants holster" from midwayusa it holds the extra mag too. It fits the cz 82 perfectly.

Question???? Why do you carry it cocked and locked? Its double action on the first shot. You can have the chamber loaded and the hammer will never touch the firing pin unless you pull the trigger.

My point is which way is safer? cocked and locked or chambered with the hammer in the center spot?

Default "Condition 3 Carry"

The main reason I carry the CZ-82 in "condition 3" is that with this holster, the retaining strap will not go over the back of the hammer when it is in the down position - it has to pass between the back of the slide and the cocked hammer.

That way it not only secures the pistol in the holster but provides a redundant safety by blocking the hammer as long as the strap is secure and in position.

Since I'm used to that carry configuration with my Systema (M-1911A1 for all intents and purposes) I'm used to the draw / fire drill using that system, and it is quite consistent with the CZ-82.

When I carry in the issue holster jammed down into my fanny pack, I do opt for the hammer down round in the chamber DA mode.

BTW, I did try the belt under the holster method recommended, and it caused the holster to jam in between a couple of belt loops and let it hang out loose and sloppy from my hip.
    I quickly reverted back to my "Mexican carry" style and all is good again.

I have tried mine in my Don Hume IWB, it has the thumb break also, I use it for my 1911, it works. I also have a belt slide w/o thumb break, and it's a little loose because the trigger gaurd on the CZ-82 is bigger and it don't fit in deep enough.

leather dope

Uncle Jaque would you share your "home-brewed nasty smelling leather dope" with us? Only thing I can come up with is clenzoil or Ballistol. My 30 yr old Bianchi needs some oiling up. Thanks

Default Leather Dope

Over the years I've used any number of leather treatments or "dope" on my boots & leather gear. Some of them work better than others.

Back in the old Cavalry days the Army prescribed their own concoction for treating the saddles & tack, and apparently some individual Troopers came up with their own favorite and secret blends.

What worked best for me was a product called "Huberd's Boot Grease"; I've never seen it in stores, and they are not on line; a very old school outfit to be sure, and the only way to get the stuff is by mail order.
    As far as I know they are still in business, but I don't recall their address.
    McMinville Oregon rings a bell...

It is a dark brown, nearly black, thick grease that smells of pine tar and other stuff.
    It could serve as a pretty reliable female repellent, as all of them that I know say it stinks and they hate it.
    You might have to leave your boots on the piazza in order to be allowed indoors.

It will darken leather considerably, so it's not for dress shoes; it's made for working leather.
    I use an old toothbrush to work it into the cracks, crannies and seams of holsters etc..

Another product that is almost as good as Huberd's without the stink is "Sno-Pruf" - an amber waxy stuff that does a pretty good job.
    I used it for years during my youth up in Northern NH.

When I ran out of my Huberd's, I decided to make up a home-made batch of substitute, which I did, and it seems to work just as well.
    Even smells a little like Huberd's.

I took a square green 10 oz. can of "Bag Balm" that was about 2/3 full, and melted it in a double boiler. This is a topical lotion made for veterinary use, but a lot of people use if for a hand lotion. It's got a lot of lanolin in it, and makes a fair leather dope all by itself.

To this I added i guess about 1/4 cup of melted beeswax and probably about the same sized gob of pine tar (you can usually get it at horse supply stores or sometimes boatyards) and about 3 tbs. of neatsfoot oil, or as much as the can will hold.

Melt everything together, stir well, and let it cool and set back up.

The lanolin and neatsfoot oil will condition and soften the leather, while the beeswax will help fill the pores and stitching adding to water resistance, and the pine tar being an antifungal and antibacterial will resist rot and mould.

Without that, bacteria or fungi will eat your natural stitching and start on the leather.
    Neatsfoot oil is actually a nutrient for bacteria and will hasten leather and thread deterioration by itself. As strong & durable as nylon thread is a lot of cobblers and holster makers avoid it because it will not expand & contract along with the leather and tends to cut through the leather. Eventually the whole seam is apt to disintegrate.

If I used any other exotic ingredients, I can't remember what they were - but that basic recipe ought to work well enough for ye.
    Now a glug or two of Ballistol wouldn't hurt - I've become quite a fan of the stuff.
    I wish that Ballistol made a heavy grease version for leather and bullet lube / cylinder sealant for cap & ball revolvers.

I actually made up a batch of that too, by blending bowling ally wax with Ballistol.
    Makes the darndest case sizing lube you'll ever need, by the way!

My home brewed el-stinko leather dope is probably not all that different from what Cowpokes and Horse Soldiers used over a hundred years ago on their boots & saddles, holsters and carbine scabbards.

And it sure works for me.
    Last edited by Uncle Jaque; 11-21-2007 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Add picture - correct content

Talking

As an aside on reholstering with belt over holster....Got all day to reholster but an instant to draw.
    Youth And Brawn Are No Match For Age And Treachery.
    I'm Old And May Not Fight. I'll Shoot Instead.

USMC 1959-1963

Default Holster for Cz-52.

Uncle Jaque:

Might there be a similar type of holster for the Cz-52? I have not yet been able to find one, but am probably not looking in the right places. Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Kgordon View Post
    Uncle Jaque:

Might there be a similar type of holster for the Cz-52? I have not yet been able to find one, but am probably not looking in the right places. Suggestions?
    Kgordon, have you seen the falco holsters at Makarov.com? They are being closed out, not going be imported anymore. It is a shoulder rig tho. I would like to get one but Im broke.

Thumbs up Answer:

Kgordon - If you find a holster you like for the M-1911 series, chances are your trusty Czech-O-Matic will fit handily in it.
    And 1911 /A1 holsters are all over the place in a plethora of varieties.

Actually the current cordura ambidextrous military issue holster is supposed to fit either a 1911A1 or the issue M-9 Berretta.
    I have not tried it, but I would fully expect the CZ-52 to fit in it just as well, and I have seen these starting to turn up on the surplus market at reasonable prices - $10 or $15 or so for decent used ones.

Once again, an amazing homebrew thread from UJ. I gotta get out to Maine sometime...

I got the Red Storm CZ-82 holster.

http://redstormholsters.com/firebrand/Home.html

The leather's pretty thin, so one-handed reholstering's out, but concealment (IWB) is excellent. The belt loop won't quite make it all the way around a full-width heavy carry belt, but the 82's not that heavy a weapon, and can be carried by a thinner, 1-1/4 garrison-type belt.

The difficulty for me is that I'm left-handed, which makes good CCW holsters nigh-impossible to find, but a simple e-mail let me custom order a lefty, at no extra charge. Very satisfying.

I got one for Makarov, and PA-63, as well.

Lightbulb Lefties in the Rummage Box?

That bargain used holster rummage box that I found my CZ-82 holster (or nigh on close enough) in had a bunch of southpaw versions that I overlooked in my search without even trying my pistol in - if anyone is interested in one I could always go back and see if I can find one that will fit my '82. If I can, then I bet it'll fit yours, too!

The place isn't far from home at all, and I go by there frequently.

You and I go back a while here, now don't we Chunk?
    Wasn't you in on the ol' Gunboard team that finally solved the CZ-52 "Trigger Slap Phenomenon"?

Well I hope that you can git up heah t' Maine pretty soon; We'll see if we can't fix you and the Missuz (providin' ye got one) up with a cold Moxie and a hot lobstah.

(We'll see if we caint find a left - clawed one fer ya!)

B'gash, It don't git much bettah'n that! };^{)~

I do gotta get there sometime, UJ, but it might be a while, yet... Minnesota's pretty far west! But I got a buddy in Nova Scotia, and more in upstate NY, so it's not all that far-fetched!

What I was workin out was good loads for the Czech-o-matic's ammo. I'm still turning it out, as fast as I can get free brass! But your old detailed shop notes were great! (Did they get saved from over there? Surely they need a sticky here.) A buddy out here still uses his brass case gauge/barrel remover that you sent him.

Sure, see if you can't find any cheap lefty holsters that would work for CZ-82. (or CZ-40P, Star BM, PA-63, Makarov...) I'd be happy to pay for the cost and shipping.
    Last edited by chunkstyle; 12-29-2007 at 06:29 PM.

U.S. Army 1976-79
    237th Combat Engineers
    Heilbronn,Germany

NRA Patron Life member