Gunboards Forums banner

VZ 24 China

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  bch7773 
#1 ·
I have a vz24 made in 1937 for china, nationalists i would suppose. After breaking it down and cleaning the rust off, it was hiding under the stock.
I came a cross a marking on the bottom side of the barrel, China M98 can any one give me more info on this. The ser. starts with an AE. What is the best way to get old tar like cosmo off the stock . And I am looking for a firing pin also, good bore has seen some use but will pop heads off rabbits at 50yrds. Also looking for a set of locking screws can any one tell me the tap size to clean the locking scew threads. Will post pics as soon as posible. I drive semi for a living so dont get much time to play. THANKS:D

#2 ·
China M98 is part of the importers mark. Most importers call any Mauser 98 action an M98. They don't understand nor care about specific model designations.

For old grease, cosmolene, and tar/crude on stocks and metal I usually use mineral spirits. Test in a a small discrete area of the stock first to make sure it won't affect the finish under the crude. I've never had it to but it's a good idea to err on the side of caution.

I can't help you with your other questions but I'm sure there are others who can. Especially on the significance of your serial prefix and the locking screw thread size. If you don't receive any answers here I would post your questions on the Mauser Forum on these boards. I've found that a lot of the Mauser knowledgeable people don't check the Czech weapons boards very much.

#3 ·
AIM still has locking screws for sale. I would think they would work.

#5 ·
help

It is real simple questions What is the tap size i need to clean out a stripped locking screw. I Meen it is Based on the 98 So why no Anwsers on the other boards? Or for that matter how do I get it out? Thanks to BUBA it will not come apart ontill i get the screw out. hELLO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.