Default Price check - 1950 C No4 Mk1*

1950 Long Branch C No4 Mk1*. Matching bolt and mag. Stock doesn't look like LB wood to me (no proofs I can see), well used, repair at the heel, a bit of difference in hue of buttstock and fore-arm. Bore probably quite nice after a little cleaning. Metal finish pretty good. Two-position battle sight (which wouldn't be correct, right?)

What's the highest price you could simply not pass up?

A question to go along,

I have read there where only 5000 produced in 1950 at Long Branch, Am I correct?

cheers,
    Lachy
    "WE SHALL DEFEND OUR ISLAND WHATEVER THE COST MAY BE, WE SHALL FIGHT ON THE BEACHES, WE SHALL FIGHT ON THE LANDING GROUNDS, WE SHALL FIGHT IN THE FIELDS AND IN THE STREETS, WE SHALL FIGHT IN THE HILLS, WE WILL NEVER SURRENDER!!!"
    Sir Winston Churchill.

I've seen reference to 1950 being the 2nd lowest year of production, but nothing firm.

Im not sure if there are any proof's on the wood.

There are not any on mine and im sure that it hasn't been replaced.

cheers,
    Lachy.
    "WE SHALL DEFEND OUR ISLAND WHATEVER THE COST MAY BE, WE SHALL FIGHT ON THE BEACHES, WE SHALL FIGHT ON THE LANDING GROUNDS, WE SHALL FIGHT IN THE FIELDS AND IN THE STREETS, WE SHALL FIGHT IN THE HILLS, WE WILL NEVER SURRENDER!!!"
    Sir Winston Churchill.

So 1950 production did not have the arrow inside the "C" stamp on the bottom of the tang and forearm?

Default 1950

I have read there where only 5000 produced in 1950 at Long Branch, Am I correct?
    If I remember there was a discussion on this in the late 90s when a slew of them came in from Belgium etc. and the upshot is that 5000 is a pretty low. Mine have a very small A inside C proof on the wood.

i have a 1950 longbranch - wood is walnut - I paid $150 AUD for it. The bore was extremely dirty when i bought it but when i cleaned it it came up in a mirror finish - so i think i did well

Hi.I think there were 50,000 made in 1950 not 5000.It was the last year for new rifles.The rarest dates are 1955 and 1956 when they built a few hundred.The 5 and 6 were hand stamped on 1950 made receivers.I think the rarest year for newly made rifles is 1949 and 1941.
    49 is the only date I don't have.Anybody have any ideas where to find one?Only interested in a "as new" example.
    Eric

I bought my 1950 Long Branch C No.4Mk.1* from Brian Dick, it appeared to be unissued and only had a few rack dings and in my opinion well worth the money.

http://www.bdlltd.com/mil_sale.htm

Back to the original question... what is the highest "cannot pass-up" price you would tolerate?

From my observation, only the Irish contract rifles fetch spectacular prices, and $250 is high for a No4 Mk1. If you had to offer it to me for $300 I would pass, but somebody else might think it was a good deal. For $250 I would bite.
    The Americans fight for a free world, the English mostly for honor and glory and medals, the French and Canadians decide too late that they have to participate. The Italians are too scared to fight; the Russians have no choice. The Germans for the Fatherland. The Boers? Those sons of bitches fight for the hell of it!” - American General, George “Guts and Glory” Patton

Quote Originally Posted by bones92 View Post
    Back to the original question... what is the highest "cannot pass-up" price you would tolerate?
    How bad do you want a 1950 Long Branch? Sounds like this one has been used alot. In fair/good condition maybe $150. One in excellent condition would go 2-3 times that.

Default 1950

Anywhere between $200.00 and $400.00, all depending on condition and the hole in your collection you need to fill. As an aside, I saw a picture of the first 1955 I've seen, and the lettering was definitely not hand stamped. I have the picture at work-I'll try to remember to post it Monday. Anybody have an idea on the 1949 production? That was when production cranked back up, IIRC, after closing the line in 1945. Please fill in / correct if you know otherwise.

pneps Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bones92 View Post
    1950 Long Branch C No4 Mk1*. Matching bolt and mag. Stock doesn't look like LB wood to me (no proofs I can see), well used, repair at the heel, a bit of difference in hue of buttstock and fore-arm. Bore probably quite nice after a little cleaning. Metal finish pretty good. Two-position battle sight (which wouldn't be correct, right?)

What's the highest price you could simply not pass up?
    Probably 150 because:

a) Bore "probably nice"

b) matching mag.....IIRC Canada did not number mags, so served somewhere else.

c) Metal finish "pretty good".

and lastly, d) correct sight should be a CMkIII leaf sight.

In other words....sounds like a bitser.

pneps Guest

Quote Originally Posted by superbee303 View Post
    Hi.I think there were 50,000 made in 1950 not 5000.It was the last year for new rifles.The rarest dates are 1955 and 1956 when they built a few hundred.The 5 and 6 were hand stamped on 1950 made receivers.I think the rarest year for newly made rifles is 1949 and 1941.
    49 is the only date I don't have.Anybody have any ideas where to find one?Only interested in a "as new" example.
    Eric
    I have a 1949. However it is one of the RCAF match rifles. Also has the "bren" barrel, also '49 dated.

At Dunham’s Sporting Goods in Pennsylvania a British Enfield is $159.95, a Long Branch is $199.95 and a Savage is $229.95. I paid $329.00 for my un-issued 1950 Long Branch C No.4Mk.1* and due to its condition it was the “best buy” in comparison to the Dunham’s dogs. Imagine a new un-pitted/non-frosted bore on a Enfield that was only proof fired, now think about cleaning a pitted/frosted bore.

I'd say $175-200 at most.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN2342.JPG   DSCN2343.JPG  

Default Hummmm

Quote Originally Posted by pneps View Post
    Probably 150 because:
    b) matching mag.....IIRC Canada did not number mags, so served somewhere else.

I have three late Canadians, a 1949 and two 1950's, and all three have matching, numbered magazines and bolts. They would drop the "L" when numbering the mags, though. None have been FTR'd. I believe mine to be correct.
    We should run a serial number thread for this era Long Branches, the information would be interesting, like the Savage info is.

bones92, Like Mr. Horton, I bought my '50 Long Branch from, Brian, and didn't even think twice about the price (the same, Ed). Sounds like the one you're looking at isn't quite as original so I'd lop at least a hundred bucks off.

Regards, Brad

PS Every Long Branch I've had came with a s/n'd magazine.