Gunboards Forums banner

Price check - 1950 C No4 Mk1*

3K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  bradtx 
#1 ·
1950 Long Branch C No4 Mk1*. Matching bolt and mag. Stock doesn't look like LB wood to me (no proofs I can see), well used, repair at the heel, a bit of difference in hue of buttstock and fore-arm. Bore probably quite nice after a little cleaning. Metal finish pretty good. Two-position battle sight (which wouldn't be correct, right?)

What's the highest price you could simply not pass up?

#2 ·
A question to go along,

I have read there where only 5000 produced in 1950 at Long Branch, Am I correct?

cheers,
Lachy

#4 ·
Im not sure if there are any proof's on the wood.

There are not any on mine and im sure that it hasn't been replaced.

cheers,
Lachy.

#8 ·
Hi.I think there were 50,000 made in 1950 not 5000.It was the last year for new rifles.The rarest dates are 1955 and 1956 when they built a few hundred.The 5 and 6 were hand stamped on 1950 made receivers.I think the rarest year for newly made rifles is 1949 and 1941.
49 is the only date I don't have.Anybody have any ideas where to find one?Only interested in a "as new" example.
Eric

#13 ·

Anywhere between $200.00 and $400.00, all depending on condition and the hole in your collection you need to fill. As an aside, I saw a picture of the first 1955 I've seen, and the lettering was definitely not hand stamped. I have the picture at work-I'll try to remember to post it Monday. Anybody have an idea on the 1949 production? That was when production cranked back up, IIRC, after closing the line in 1945. Please fill in / correct if you know otherwise.

G
#14 ·
Probably 150 because:

a) Bore "probably nice"

b) matching mag.....IIRC Canada did not number mags, so served somewhere else.

c) Metal finish "pretty good".

and lastly, d) correct sight should be a CMkIII leaf sight.

In other words....sounds like a bitser.

#18 ·
Hummmm

Probably 150 because:
b) matching mag.....IIRC Canada did not number mags, so served somewhere else.

I have three late Canadians, a 1949 and two 1950's, and all three have matching, numbered magazines and bolts. They would drop the "L" when numbering the mags, though. None have been FTR'd. I believe mine to be correct.
We should run a serial number thread for this era Long Branches, the information would be interesting, like the Savage info is.

#16 ·
At Dunham’s Sporting Goods in Pennsylvania a British Enfield is $159.95, a Long Branch is $199.95 and a Savage is $229.95. I paid $329.00 for my un-issued 1950 Long Branch C No.4Mk.1* and due to its condition it was the “best buy” in comparison to the Dunham’s dogs. Imagine a new un-pitted/non-frosted bore on a Enfield that was only proof fired, now think about cleaning a pitted/frosted bore.

#19 ·
bones92, Like Mr. Horton, I bought my '50 Long Branch from, Brian, and didn't even think twice about the price (the same, Ed). Sounds like the one you're looking at isn't quite as original so I'd lop at least a hundred bucks off.

Regards, Brad

PS Every Long Branch I've had came with a s/n'd magazine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.