Gunboards Forums banner

Reading Materials

26K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  elsancudo_7262 
#1 · (Edited)
I figured it is about time to start a list of reference materials. Here are some items to start with:

Astra Automatic Pistols, by Leonardo M. Antaris. 1988.
An excellent reference on the Astra Pistols, and soon a revised version with a ton more info will be released. Len has nearly completed the revised edition, and just needs to finish up a chapter on Astra's shotgun production.

Star Firearms, by Leonardo M. Antaris. 2002.
The comprehensive book on Star Firearms through the course of Star's history. In depth, complete, full of data and photos. Both the Astra and Star books can be obtained from:

FIRAC
1230 E. Rusholme St. Suite 107
Davenport, IA 52803
1-563-326-8181

The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Handguns, A.B. Zhuk. US Publication 2000.
Translated from the original Russian, lots of drawn illustrations of thousands of firearms from 1870 to present, includes a very large section on Spanish firearms.

Spanish Handguns, Gene Gangarosa. 2001. A brief overview of some Spanish handguns, by no means comprehensive, but a good work for quick reference.

Pistols of the World, Hogg & Walter. 4th Edition, 2004. Good reference for that pistol you have no idea what it is, and you are just trying to get a ball park idea.

French Service Handguns 1858-2004, Eugene Medlin and Jean Huon. 2004. Of course, right now you are thinking, "Bob, have you gone nuts?" Actually, there is some good info on the Spanish made arms used by the French in WWI.

Pistols of World War I, Robert J. Adamek. 2001. Again a pretty simple book broken down into the handguns of the different powers involved in WWI, but includes the Spanish made pistols supplied to the different powers. Only 1,000 copies of this book printed, not sure if it is still available.

Mauser Military Rifles of the World, 4th Edition, Bob Ball. 2006. OK - not handguns, but a good work on Mauser rifles, including the arms produced and used in Spain. I must take time to plug this book because many members of Gunboards (including myself) assisted Bob in the revision and update of the 4th Edition.

Finally, for general reading I strongly suggest everyone get a copy of George Orwell's "Homage to Catalonia" - this book is a first hand account of the rampant confusion, division, and political infighting on the Republican side of the Spanish Civil War that may have very well lead to the victory gained by Franco and the Facists.

Check out combatbooks.com for the French Service Handguns book and other titles.

See less See more
#4 ·
I enclose a link.
The book is called "Evolución del arma corta en España", ( evolution of the handgun in Spain ). The book can be downloaded for FREE.
It is written in spanish but it has plenty of detailed photos and LOTS of information covering almost everything, models, grips, sights, proofmarks .... possibly the most complete work about spanish pistols that I have ever seen.
Enjoy :)

https://books.google.es/books/about...ta_en_España.html?id=kU1yBgAAQBAJ&redir_esc=y

#9 ·
I enclose a link.
The book is called "Evolución del arma corta en España", ( evolution of the handgun in Spain ). The book can be downloaded for FREE.
It is written in spanish but it has plenty of detailed photos and LOTS of information covering almost everything, models, grips, sights, proofmarks .... possibly the most complete work about spanish pistols that I have ever seen.
Enjoy :)

https://books.google.es/books/about/Evolución_del_arma_corta_en_España.html?id=kU1yBgAAQBAJ&redir_esc=y
I have tried to find a way to download this. I can neither download nor translate.it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.