Default Scopes: PE VS PU

I have been searching for post's that compare PE and PU scopes. Which is the better scope? I am looking into getting an ex sniper and putting it back into sniper configuration. Without taking cost into consideration, which would be the better scope. I will be shooting 100/200 yds max off a bench. I recently purchased a 91/30 PE repro sniper from Coles and am very impressed with the scope.
    I also liked the M39 sniper repro's done by some of the members here and they had the PE scopes on them. That is also a possibility.

Thanks, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by captk View Post
    I have been searching for post's that compare PE and PU scopes. Which is the better scope? I am looking into getting an ex sniper and putting it back into sniper configuration. Without taking cost into consideration, which would be the better scope. I will be shooting 100/200 yds max off a bench. I recently purchased a 91/30 PE repro sniper from Coles and am very impressed with the scope.
    I also liked the M39 sniper repro's done by some of the members here and they had the PE scopes on them. That is also a possibility.

Thanks, Ken
    If you already have a PE, why not just make a PU?

A friend has an original PU and he recommended getting a PE scope. I am looking at all my options, getting a repro, finding an ex-sniper or building a repro M39. That's why I am asking about which scope is better. I just want to figure that in to my decision. If I had the $$$ I would get both an 91/30 PU and an M39 repro but it will have to be one or the other, unless I part with another Garand.
    I was thinking about an Rguns 91/30 but it looks like I waited too long. I called Century for a repro sniper and they told me the 91/30's for $399 were "good" condition, I decided to pass on that. So my choices are Classic Arms or J&G for a repro 91/30, get an ex-sniper and replace the mount and scope or possibly find something on the WTS boards.

Ken
    Last edited by captk; 02-05-2009 at 06:14 PM.

I forgot about those. I'll check out their website.

Apples to Oranges. Field of view, type of scope and magnification are all different. I personally like them both.
    Owner/Administrator of Gunboards.com
    Mosin Nagant.net
    Michigan Historical Collectables

"Tulta munille!"

"Terror is not a new weapon. Throughout history it has been used by those who could not prevail, either by persuasion or example. But inevitably they fail, either because men are not afraid to die for a life worth living, or because the terrorists themselves came to realize that free men cannot be frightened by threats, and that aggression would meet its own response. And it is in the light of that history that every nation today should know, be he friend or foe, that the United States has both the will and the weapons to join free men in standing up to their responsibilities."
    John F. Kennedy

Attachment 151147

Attachment 151148

Attachment 151150

I like both as well but the PE & PEM snipers have some extra appeal to me. Probably because I collect Finns and some wound up in the Finnish arsenals...along with SVT snipers of course.
    Flakshield
    Last edited by Vic; 02-06-2009 at 08:36 AM.
    "Even a small star shines in the darkness"
    Finnish Proverb

I have both PU re-snipers and replicas, and a PE re-sniper with a replica scope. I would think that the PE would be a little "easier" to shoot accurately, but my PU's are nothing to sneeze at, either. Trying to answer your question is a lil difficult. With practice, the PU is a real "target-killer", but the PE might be a tad easier to do the same shooting with. As stated, "Apples to Oranges".
    Join the PSL Owners' Group. I'll approve you as soon as I see your request.

My experience with a PU is bit limited. My shooting buddy brings his brother's original 1942 PU sniper to the range occasionally. The last time out we spent the day trying to zero it. I found some loose screws and tightened them, then collimated the scope with my Bushnell. Then the bullets began to hit POA. It was a bit of a revelation to me because the only other system I'm familiar with is the ART IV on my M1A. For my old eyes the PU's magnification and brightness were just right for 300 yard work.

I have a M39 and just got another one. I'm thinking about making a repro sniper using the Accumount repro PE outfit.

I called and order a special select 91/30 from Samco. I also ordered an M39 from Pat Burns(Wholesale Guns and Ammo), a 1968 no maker, 70% blue, bright sharp shiny bore, matching bolt and an excellent post war stock. I'll get the rifles now and when funds allow I'll get a PU and PE scope/mount setup from Accumounts. Looks like another Garand for sale.

Thanks for the feedback, Ken

Re: I called and order a special select 91/30 from Samco. I also ordered an M39 from Pat Burns(Wholesale Guns and Ammo), a 1968 no maker, 70% blue, bright sharp shiny bore, matching bolt and an excellent post war stock. I'll get the rifles now and when funds allow I'll get a PU and PE scope/mount setup from Accumounts. Looks like another Garand for sale.

Your M39 most likely has a SAKO barrel. The Soviets required the Finns to dismantle the SAKO factory under the armistice, but the Finns transfered the SAKO factory to the Red Cross. You will enjoy shooting your M39. When you take a look at the windage adjustable front sight and compare it to a Swiss K31, you'll see how serious the Finns are about marksmanship.

Well, I prefer the "big" scopes (PE/PEM, specifically the PEM in siderail configuration), but the little PU's do have their advantages, specifically their relatively light weight and their more mass-production friendly design, but they were both great sights that performed their role very admirably on the Eastern front and beyond.
    Last edited by sniperfreak; 02-06-2009 at 12:27 PM.

it about personnel prefrence. to me PE scope are like traditional scopes and look better. the PU scopes remind me of some little 22LR scope. that's about it to me looks, but you can accomplish the same thing and in the right hands can due the same damage. boils down to cosmetics thats all.

later
    vaughn
    Last edited by vaughn99; 02-07-2009 at 04:00 PM.