Default Mark X with strange barrel.

Many, many moons ago I acquired an Interarms Mark X in 264 Win mag. It has a Bell & Carson fiberglass stock w/built in sling. Barrel length was 23" in a light sporter profile.

Despite all attempts I could not get it to group decently at the range. Reloading for it also was fraught with problems. Popping primers and stretched primer pockets on the first reload, hard to turn bolt etc. at the starting loads listed in the Lyman guide.

Finally dawned on me that the barrel was badly fouled by bullet jacket material. This was despite the fact it looked OK when viewed with the unaided eye in good light.

Rigged up an electrical copper removal system w 3 v. battery charger, brass rod insulated every three inches with short (3/16" long) sections of shrink tubing. Used vinegar & ammonia solution as the electrolyte.

Plugged her in and within minutes black gunk was bubbling out of the bore. I thought that was a good sign so I left her cook overnight.

Things went wrong overnight because when I cleaned it the next day it showed signs of the steel in the land and groove been eaten away.

Ordered a Adams & Bennett heavy sporter barrel from Midway in 7mm Rem mag and drug it to a gunsmith and had it rebarreled.

The 7mm mag is much easier to get along with.

The original(?) barrel is nothing like I've seen before. The rifling is 12 groove and the relief cut between the threads and the shoulder is 1/4" wide. That left only 3 1/2 full threads holding it in the receiver.

Two questions that I have are:
    1. Do you all think this is a made up gun starting with an action?
    2. Who or what outfit used 12 groove rifling in their barrels?

Thanks in advance.

Carl in St. Joe, Mo.
    Delta co. 1st Bn 8th Inf. 1969.
    Plei Trap Valley Duck and Dodge Club.

NW Arkansas. Close to the Okie line, so I can get across ahead of the tax man from Little Rock...

Quote Originally Posted by 67L36Driver View Post
    The original(?) barrel is nothing like I've seen before. The rifling is 12 groove and the relief cut between the threads and the shoulder is 1/4" wide. That left only 3 1/2 full threads holding it in the receiver.

Two questions that I have are:
    1. Do you all think this is a made up gun starting with an action?
    2. Who or what outfit used 12 groove rifling in their barrels?

Carl in St. Joe, Mo.
    A 6.5mm barrel with 12 groove rifling? "Now laces upon a flowerdy-pot I'd never seen before...." I spent a long time gunsmithing, and I've seen some odd barrels, but that particular bore size, unless it was some sort of bench rest barrel (and that's one of the things I used to do) having 12 grooves would have to be one of the oddest I've heard about. If it had been a .30, I'd have looked for Marlin markings on it, with their Microgroove stuff. The very short thread shank, in addition to being an invitation to a barrel launch downrange, should have given excreable accuracy, such as you reported 'enjoying'.

Do you suppose that this was a gunsmith special for some individual who had been having an affair with the gunsmith's wife?
    Pistol keeps me safe.
    Shotgun keeps me fed.
    Rifle keeps me free.

Default Not a bench rest barrel.

Barrel is definately a light sporter as the end is only .550" diameter.

Looking in the end it reminds me of the tube on a 105mm cannon only ity bity.

Someone speculated the wide relief cut was from the barrel being set back at one time or another. I see no discontinuity in the blueing to support that theory.

At any rate it will make a large alignment punch if I need one.:D

Short length of engagement is not good engineering practice.