Gunboards Forums banner

Anyone familiar with Yugo ak scope rail types?

30K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  sparkfly88 
G
#1 ·
I been digging through my boxes of stuff and discovered a couple scope rails I forgot I had . One is typical yugo rail with the cut out to go around the center support rivet . Another is the same except it was not cut out for the support rivet ,wich is more the original style . Then I have one rail thats a bit shorter ,cut out for the center support rivet ,And also is cut out in between the rails its self . I can remember what it is .

#2 · (Edited)
It sounds like what you have is...

First one: A PAD made M89 type rail.
Second one: an original Zastava type M89 rail that came in the pouch/package along with the M89 scope
Third: A PAD made M77 type rail.

M89, Zastava factory rail. The PAD rail has the cut out to skirt the center support rivet on stamped receivers.

PAD M77 rail.

The factory M77 rails, like the type that came in on a lot of Mitchell imports, have an extra extendor/tab that looks like this (this is a borrowed pic)...

G
#3 ·
Its the Pad rail m77 . What were they for in particular ? I have a rail like yours on top the PAD m89 but I would debate that PAD was the only one with it .They are a copy of an actual rail . Mine came off Yugo kits ,I aquired 2 of them and sold one off .The distributor said he had 2 come in with rails and I Bought both of them .They were both cut for the center support .

#4 · (Edited)
The rail in the top picture, the M89.. is a Zastava made rail. The ones that PAD made up have the notch for the center support. The Zastava rails, to the best of my knowledge, didn't have an allowance for that.

The M77's rails were designed to accept the M77 mount and only that mount. The mount will accept any scope with a 1" body, but I believe was designed around the ON scopes initially.

M77 mount.

...and a 5.56 variation of the M89 type scope and rail mounted to a Yugoslavian M21.

I have actually never seen a picture of an M89 in actual use by the JNA, or even in militia... pretty cool that you found some in kits. I've really never even heard of anybody getting them in a kit.. most of the original rails I know of came included with the M89 scope as part of the package.

G
#5 ·
The rail in the top picture, the M89.. is a Zastava made rail. The ones that PAD made up have the notch for the center support. The Zastava rails, to the best of my knowledge, didn't have an allowance for that.

The M77's rails were designed to accept the M77 mount and only that mount. The mount will accept any scope with a 1" body, but I believe was designed around the ON scopes initially.

M77 mount.

...and a 5.56 variation of the M89 type scope and rail mounted to a Yugoslavian M21.

I have actually never seen a picture of an M89 in actual use by the JNA, or even in militia... pretty cool that you found some in kits. I've really never even heard of anybody getting them in a kit.. most of the original rails I know of came included with the M89 scope as part of the package.
But the m89 rail I got out of kits do have the cut out releif for the center rivet just like PAD's . Interesting . So a m89 scope wont fit a m77 Rail? I havent tried it .I do have the scope and rails .I will have to see. Thanks for the info . I am sure you have seen these pics before . I have never seen an m89 scope on anything either .But they had to have made it for something..On one Ak site there was a thread where someone claimed the m89 was made for the RPK .But I have never seen scoped RPK pics either. I do know the scope works great on my underfolder . Extremly fine optics .

#6 ·
The current configuration of the M89 won't allow it to fit on the M77 rail because of the 'stop' the M89 incorporates... towards the front, like an SVD type mount. While the clamp can be adjusted to fit, there's no channel for the stop in the M77 rail.

That said, the previous incarnation of the M89 was able to fit on the M77 rail. The button was able to push out of the way and click into place in one of the cuts in the rail. Here's the only image I've ever seen of that particular version of the M89.

So far as official use of optics... I've heard a couple different things. The M76 of course, incorporated optics and was used in the JNA. I've heard it said that aside from that, weapons with optics were never officially issued on a general level. I've heard it from another source that optics were only issued to officers. I can't prove or disprove either, so take it for what it's worth. I would think any type of special forces could pick and choose anything they wanted. ZRAK made a lot of different types of optics and mounts, true... but I think they market to civilian sales as well as the military. So, the optics we're talking about weren't necessarily made specifically for the military alone.

G
#7 ·
In the war they pulled out everything they had though .All sides . They were scoping SkS,and what ever else they had .Even sometime with commercial optics or very outdated optics.heck they even converted SKS to full auto. .I think thats why the 2 kits I bought had rails .They were typical well used m70ab2's . The bores were not the best so I kept the rails and sold the kits . I was lucky because I made a friend who culled the best right off the top . All mine have mirror new bores .Even the rifles known for the most wear.M64's and flat sided m70's

#8 · (Edited)
Yep, me too.. I just cherry picked back from when they first came in. If it had a crummy bore, I sent it back for a replacement until they made good. Got in on a few good deals here and there, and bought one or two new Zastava barrels along the way. I'm really surprised at what people are paying for a rifle or kit that doesn't even have a decent bore, but to each his own I guess.

So far as what was cobbled together during the early 90's, I know at the time.. militias in particular, anything went. But so far as JNA official doctrine goes... the only as issued rifle with optics was the M76. Can't say about the others countries.

G
#9 ·
Yeah I had a guy in the back at the distributor calling me .I got all mirror bores and picked up some real nice ones .I was able to get a cherry slab sided m70 underfolder before anyone realy knew what they were. Those were the days .

#10 ·
I remember when people were sending back milled kits they received because they ordered stamped kits. I also remember when they were selling black bore kits for $65. Good days indeed, I don't think we'll ever see their like again. The parts kit boom is over.

G
#11 ·
Funny I just sold off an all matching russian AKM build on gunbroker for 1300.00 . I actualy though it might go higher. I bought that kit for 200.00 bucks and guys gave me shit because they thought I was nuts for paying that much ..LOL Same with an all matching E german AKM kit I paid 200.00 for .And you couldnt give away a russian milled kit for 50 bucks . LOL

#14 · (Edited)
Sure....here are a few......

1st is an ON-M76 on my PSL. Actually slid right on to the PSL rail, and has a nice, snug fit.....

2nd is the ON-M80...I'll throw it on the PSL just for "shits and giggles" when I get home......should be interesting

The Tritium has a faint green glow.......the 2 AA's produce a red reticle......

#15 ·
Wow, thanks villafuego... nice rare item to have!
If you go here...
http://eng.jacimovic.com/zrak.php
You can see the ON-M80, but it has a different mount set up. Probably for the belt fed shown here..
http://www.zastava-arms.co.yu/english/vojni.htm

I wonder if it was put on to that base or just one more variation? Seems like everything Yugo, an answer to a question just leaves you with more questions.

#16 · (Edited)
villafuego, your scope must be ON-M76 (without B)?
I have ON-M 76 Without B ( not ON-M76 B), early model with third wheel.
It looks like yours but on the right side where you have small plate , i have that wheel.I been told that this is shade for IR seeking.
I also have ON-M80.
Can anybody tell what would be fair price for this scopes?

#17 ·
Hi SA 58,I'm from Italy and I have a Zastava m77 .308 (LKP96 in my country) ,I need a Zrak M77 ak mount my rail on the left side of my rifle is the same and in the same position of your M77 .223.PA Distributing give me mail failure.Where can I find Zrak M77 ak mount?I have searched it all over the word for one year without founding it.What do you think about?

#19 ·
Hi Sa58,
I'm from Italy and I'm not able to find the Zrak M77 mount.I have M77 rails (very high) the same of the gun in your photos on my Zastava LKP .308 (M77 .308).p-a- distributing have a mailbox problem and it is not able to send the mount out of USA.Are you able to help me?Have a good weekend

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.