Thread: Twist Rate In Mosin Barrel

Default Twist Rate In Mosin Barrel

What is the twist rate for a Mosin barrel ? Just curios.

All Mosin-Nagant rifles have a rate of twist of 1 turn in 9.449 inches, or 9 1/2-inches basically. The Finnish M28/30 had a rate of twist of 1 turn in 10.236 inches. Both Soviet and Finnish rifles were measured in metric.

That would explain there love for the heavies. I find a lot of my MN's shoot the heavy ball very well-SDH

Quote Originally Posted by sdh1891 View Post
    That would explain there love for the heavies. I find a lot of my MN's shoot the heavy ball very well-SDH
    That's what Ive been thinking on the way to go w/ my 91/30. 1942 Izhevsk "Oksana". It seems like everyone who shot the heavy surplus ammo really raves about it versus the 147gr stuff thats out there now. Anyone know of a good supply of heavy weight rounds? I want to start reloading and would appreciate any info on the heavier bullets, powder, and cases someone might have found to work well in their MN.

Mosin Nagant rifles are inch pattern. Any dimensions found in metric are conversions.

+1. Thanks. What I meant was that Finland and the USSR employ the metric system, so that publications from the two would use mm rather than 9 1/2-in.