Thread: Best place for cheap .38 special revolver.

Default Best place for cheap .38 special revolver.

Anyone have some websites that deal in .38 special revolvers? I'm not looking for anything fancy, or brand name, just with a 4" barrel.

Regards...

I second that. I need a 38 or 357 snubbie or short barrel for a gift to a friend for PD. Please help me and BUBBAG

http://www.southernohiogun.com/taurus.htm

S.O.G. has Taurus revolvers. You can also consider Rossi brand. Very reasonable. I have a Rossi R351, which is a 2" bbl. 5-shot .38 Special. I paid $325 at a local dealer, and he is known to be on the high side for prices.
    LSFlaghoist.gif

Try CDNN, I think it is:

www.cdnninvestments.com

They often have police/guard trade in revolvers, I've dealt with them in the past and they accuratley describe condition and have good prices. Others have had luck with J&G Sales, and there is a place in TN, Robertson's Trading Post, that always seems to have a nice selection of revolvers. You'll have to google them for the websites. Good hunting.

You might try shotgun news and gun lists, sometimes their dealers have used service revolvers. You can have your local dealer order them. You may have more trouble finding strictly .38 specials, a good .357 will shoot .38s all day and give you the option of more should you ever wish it.
    Last edited by S.L.Dickinson; 02-11-2009 at 09:58 AM.

Visit your local gun shows. I see good quality 38's there all the time for resonable prices. The last show I visited had a blued Ruger Security-Six in 357 with a 4" barrel for only 250. The gun was in great shape with only a little holster wear on the end of the barrel. Didn't have any cash with me as I was there only to help my Son-in-law find and buy a nice pistol. He opted for a new 4" stainless Ruger GP-100. I would have picked up the Security-Six in a heart beat if I would have had the cash on hand. And as S.L. mentioned, the 357 will eat up 38's or even 38+p all day long. And that good quality Ruger will eat up 357 factory loads all day as well.
    You can also try a local pawn shop. Any they have will be priced way to high but you can negotiate on the price if you find one you like. If you buy a used gun make sure you check the bore and check the cylinder for lockup and slack. Cock the hammer and pull the trigger letting the hammer down easy. Keep the trigger pulled and twist the cylinder as it would rotate and try to slide it back and forth. There should be a little play both ways but if excessive, you don't want it. Also check the forcing cone. An out of timed gun may show marks on the forcing cone. You don't want that either.
    If a man has nothing greater to believe in than himself, he is a very lonely man.

I reckon so. I guess we all died a little in that damn war.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by MEJ1990TM View Post
    Well, all right. Maybe just this once.

I just found something that might be of interest on J&G's website. they have stainless, 4inch .38 special S&W in very good condition for under 300 bucks shipped to your FFL. If they weren't so big, I would have bought one already. it doesn't help me, but maybe BubbaG

i think centerfire has some really inexpensive phillipean made 38s.

Quote Originally Posted by bch7773 View Post
    i think centerfire has some really inexpensive phillipean made 38s.
    They're backordered.

Just bought an Armscore.Made in the Phillipines.6 shot,2" bbl. and wood grips.Nice revolver.Paid $225 for it NIB.Only thing I had to fix was the hammer.The tang was too long and every time you shot double action,it would bite the web of your hand.Easy fix.Dremaled it off and made it double action only.

S&W Model 10s usually go for $150 to $200 locally in good condition. Reliable and seem to last forever.
    I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

Man i paid 189 for a four inch barrelled Stainless security six in 2005. I can't believe the prices you guys are quoting.

I also paid 150 for a 1974 Detectives special with a custom trigger job off an NYPD cop. it was his off duty. I guess there are benefits to living in a place where guns aren't that common for civilians.

Quote Originally Posted by Francis View Post
    Man i paid 189 for a four inch barrelled Stainless security six in 2005. I can't believe the prices you guys are quoting.

I also paid 150 for a 1974 Detectives special with a custom trigger job off an NYPD cop. it was his off duty. I guess there are benefits to living in a place where guns aren't that common for civilians.
    Seems you got some pretty good deals. I paid 150 for a blued Security-Six with a 2 3/4" barrel back in 1995. Don't think your gonna find a Security-Six for that price now-a-days. If you do, send me a PM if you don't want it.
    If a man has nothing greater to believe in than himself, he is a very lonely man.

I reckon so. I guess we all died a little in that damn war.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by MEJ1990TM View Post
    Well, all right. Maybe just this once.

It wasn't exactly what I wanted, but I ordered a smith from J&G and it just got here. It's too big for what it is, but man is it nice. That K frame is just tough. for 300 bucks, I had a hard time passing up the Smith. It was sold as NRA very good plus, but it was probably more like good to very good condition. Stainless K frame is gonna be hard to beat i think. It still doesn't solve my problem with needing a snubbie, but what the heck . . .

Shucks, is that one of the bobbed hammer ones they show?
    For the price you can't beet them unless you find a neighbor that has one.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday!
    USAF Crew Chief C141A Starlifter Aircraft '75-'79
    God is my Pilot
    Olds W-31 Cutlass

Quote Originally Posted by armyrat1970 View Post
    Seems you got some pretty good deals. I paid 150 for a blued Security-Six with a 2 3/4" barrel back in 1995. Don't think your gonna find a Security-Six for that price now-a-days. If you do, send me a PM if you don't want it.
    Unfortunately, I live in NJ and it takes up to eight months for me to get a pistol purchase permit and you do this for every pistol you have. SO it makes no sense for me to part with a pistol because I may never get to replace it. That being said, the security six is very clunky and Id rather have a smith model 19 with a two and a half inch barrel lol. But thats the soul reason. Rugers are really clunky, heavy and have gritty trigger pulls. I'd even prefer a Model 10.
    Last edited by Francis; 02-21-2009 at 01:06 PM.

Try http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php, they usually have good prices on new guns and once in a while you'll find some used guns there too.

http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/smi...ath/16_211_431 currently has S&W model 64's with 4" barrels and bobbed hammers for $250.00.

Also may want to search the gun aution sites like www.gunbroker.com.

This was the bobbed hammer version on the site. A group of us ordered 4 of them and got really low shipping. 3 of the four were 90% + aside from a few scratches in the stainless and the grips. one of them looked fine, save that the textured piece on the end of the ejector rod was rounded off, as if someone had tried to twist it with a pair of pliers. It was a good experience overall.