Thread: 8mm Mauser - Power level

Default 8mm Mauser - Power level

I have read various places that current production 8mm Mauser is loaded on the light side.... I'm assuming this applies primarily to domestically manufactured ammo where companies are worried about liability issues. How about surplus stuff? I'm assuming that it would be loaded to full spec? Mostly seems to be Yugo and Romanian on the market right now, is this full up ammo?

Norma, RWS commercial are loaded to full power. As for surplus, the Turk is fairly stout as is the Hirtenberger sold by Samco. There are others loaded full power also.

8mm Mauser Ball (8x57JS)
    Mfg. Hirtenberger Patronon, Austria 1980's. FMJ, NC/BO (Reloadable)
    197 Gr. BT. Packed 20 rounds per box and 1920 rounds per case, Wt. #132 Lbs. per case.
    36.9¢ per Round
    200 ROUNDS
    $73.80 Quantity:

One of RWS loads in 8mm Mauser

8 x 57 ISBullet: ID Classic 12.8 g

Approx 198gr bullet @ 2625fs = 3,028 FPE

http://www.rws-munition.de/en/rifle_...a.htm?navid=10
    Last edited by sakosf; 02-11-2009 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sakosf View Post
    Norma, RWS commercial are loaded to full power. As for surplus, the Turk is fairly stout as is the Hirtenberger sold by Samco. There are others loaded full power also.

8mm Mauser Ball (8x57JS)
    Mfg. Hirtenberger Patronon, Austria 1980's. FMJ, NC/BO (Reloadable)
    197 Gr. BT. Packed 20 rounds per box and 1920 rounds per case, Wt. #132 Lbs. per case.
    36.9¢ per Round
    200 ROUNDS
    $73.80 Quantity:
    OUT OF STOCK

tom

I'm guess stuff like the Yugo M75 is stoutly loaded?

After working a few gunshows and getting many requests for "ammo for my sks" or "ammo for my AK" and replying .. do you mean 7.62x39? they answer.. I dunno.. it's for my SKS or AK.

I used to think loading the 8mm mauser ammo light because somebody might use it in an 1888 Commision Rifle with a bore of .316 instead of the later .323 bore , both 8mm Mausers was an old wives tale... I mean how could anybody not know what ammo thier rifles takes?... I now believe that it is gospel... folks don't always know and where confusion could exist I do not fault domestic manifactuerers of 8mm mauser for loading it on the light side.

Quote Originally Posted by MK TX View Post
    I have read various places that current production 8mm Mauser is loaded on the light side.... I'm assuming this applies primarily to domestically manufactured ammo where companies are worried about liability issues. How about surplus stuff? I'm assuming that it would be loaded to full spec? Mostly seems to be Yugo and Romanian on the market right now, is this full up ammo?
    This is a "loaded" question.

What exactly is it you are trying to find?

There are variety of Yugo 8mm ammos out there. from the 1940s to 1990s. With a wide variety of powders and bullet types used.
    Some chronos faster than others.

Just refering to Yugo ammo as "Yugo" ammo doesn't mean a thing.

Same deal with Turk. Only the variety is even wider. In gen. Turk is the fasted and has a 150 give or take grain bullet. Yugo surplus is all HB in the 196 grain range and chronos between 2.200 and 2.600fps. Turk comes in HB and LB and a variety powders used ranging over a lot of years.

If you want a 8mm ammo that really "whistles" buy some run of the mil Turk from the forties, the stuff that is selling in bandoliers. It is has a 150 grain bullet, give or take, and some of it chronos at 3,300 in a long rifle. It will get your attention. Accuracy depends on the batch, year, and storage cond. along with the type and particular rifle you are using. Some rifles like it better than others.
    As with most milsurp, it is corrosive and special attention is needed to clean the bore since some of it has cupro nickel bullets.

Romanian has a LB 155 grain bullet and chronos about 2,600 fps. In gen. it is good plinking ammo in Mausers, rarely used for paper accuracy by our shooters. Actually never used by our shooters if stellar accuracy is needed.

FWIW, I have never seen any documentation that shows what rifle the Romanians made the 155 grain 8mm for. No one seems to know.
    Mausers in gen like 196 grain ammo and Yugos in particular have a twist rate that is compatible with the 196 grain ammo.
    Lots of opinions, but no documentation for proof about what rifle the Romanians made the 8mm for.
    I'm sure if someone wants to take the time and research it. The answer will be found.

Also these figure will vary with the type of Mauser you are shooting, long barrel or carbine etc. Semi or bolt.

Now days you have to go with what is available and reasonably priced.

To get specific info. you need to post what type of rifle you want to use and what your goals on accuracy are.

There is a BIG difference in accuracy on the different types of 8mm you may find on the market. Just the Yugo from the early fifties used at least three different types of powder.

In gen. commercial 8mm is not that good unless you pay for the really good stuff. The Yugo M75 sniper ammo is about as good as it gets for accuracy and hand loads and commercial ammo can only come up to par,but not better it, from our tests.

You can figure that in gen. the Milsurp ammo is loaded to specs for maximum effect, without causing pressure problems in the battle rifles the ammo was designed for.

There are reasons for commercial companies to have puny loads in 8mm, but it is a can of worms to get into on the forums. A good subject for those who like to debate stuff that is relatively irrelevant to practical shooters. We simply don't use it. Hand loads are preferable to commercial 8mm in our circles, But to each his own. Yugo seventies and M75 sniper ammo is drying up fast, but it is the ammo of choice when stellar accuracy is needed by our crowd. It chronos around 2,500 roughly IRRC.

When refering to "full" loads, the measurment used is fps. It is the speed of the bullet that will tell you how the ammo is loaded.
    Last edited by RH7777; 02-13-2009 at 02:05 AM.