Thread: re: my Potsdam musket

Default re: my Potsdam musket

Hello...

I thought I would show pictures of the Potsdam musket I bought from an antique shop in the area. The musket has all the signs of being a battlefield pick up (ie. pitting on lockplate, as if the musket lay on it's side rusting), although it did not come with a provenance. It was part of a large collection of civil war items the antique store owner acquired. I bought two Potsdam bayonets with the rifle, one of which looks like it was dug from the ground.

Enjoy...

Cheers,
    Gary

Comments welcomed...

Very nice looking musket, It does look like it might have laid on it's side a while. I have been looking for a good Patsdam musket for a while did you have to give much for it ?

Default Potsdam

These are often overlooked in Civil War collections, although many were used by the belligerents. It is a solid piece, along the lines of the M 1842 US Percussion cal. 69 musket. Looks like not much can be done as far as the pitting on the cock is concerned, although most of these guns were converted from flint lock, and issued in percussion before they were sold to the arms dealers for our war.

lucky SOB......
    nice find

I was able to talk the antique store owner down to $400 for the musket and one bayonet. I later went back and traded a Trapdoor bayonet and scabbard for the other Potsdam bayonet. Yesterday, I put a long cleaning rod down the barrel. IT did not go down the whole length, stopping a couple of inches from the breech plug. It also made a dull thud sound, not iron on iron. This made me think there is probably a charge in the barrel.

Cheers,

type99, good find at a very good price. You can find more information here:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...hlight=Potsdam

The markings on the comb of the buttplate, "1838" over "2G.L.W.R.2.C.42" mean that it was issued as "Waffe (weapon/musket) 42 to the Second Company of Second Guard Landwehr Regiment" as of 1838. The Landwehr was made of very young men (17 - 20 years old) who were not ready for front line service in the Regular Army or those who were too old (over 45 years of age) and had been in service in the Regular Army and Reserves from the age of 20 - 35. Also included in the Landwehr were those who were exempt from regular service due to chronic illness, physical disability or those of any age (up to 55) who had not been needed. In case of a call up, the Landwehr were supposed to serve only in their home region.

I can send you some more information if you want it, PM me if so.
    Last edited by TP; 02-18-2009 at 07:59 AM.

TP-
    Thanks so much for deciphering the unit markings. I am familiar with Landwehr units from my collecting of German WW1 and WW2 militaria, but had no idea I was dealing with a musket issued to the Landwehr.

Thanks again,
    Gary