Default Taurus PT1911 rear sight replacement ?

I love my new PT1911 ... great function and groups but way too low for my liking! I am very much conditioned to a 6:00 bullseye, especially at 50yds.
    The fixed rear Heine sight is just not to my liking, as opposed to the plain but adjustable Kimber .22 conversion which shoots like a laser.

Had a conversation with Customer Service at Taurus ... not much help or encouragement.
    The Heine is supposedly its own 60 degree cut and he informed me other replacement sights will not fit without machining.
    I had called to see what the cut was in order to buy a replacement.

Anyone have experience with these or suggestion as to what would fit and what work would be required?
    This sight will be replaced ... if I have to grind and file or weld a new one on!

Most companies have a variety of different height sights for just such issues to adjust point of aim. Taurus does not? Perhaps Heine could accomodate you with a different sight blade? I just reread this and are you saying the groups are too low or the sight is too low for your taste even though it groups to point of aim?
    Last edited by S.L.Dickinson; 02-20-2009 at 08:02 PM.

One foot under point of aim. Waiting on response from Heine as I see other height front blades listed. Just want to make sure they fit.
    Just a little miffed ... 1911 is 1911? Oh no! Taurus had to go and make their own proprietary size dovetail. The rep said they changed to Heine because people complained about the Novak they were using.

I would be surprised if they can not take care of you. The biggest problem, should be hopefully, will be WHAT blade to use. It might take some trial and error to get the right height.

I wanted to change my sights to a night sight on my PT1911. I got them directly from Heinie.

Heine replies - no.
    They do have different blades but not to fit this gun.
    Time to start engineering.

My New Taurus 24/7 OSS 9mm went back to Taurus in October 08 because it shot 6" low at 25meters. Taurus says it needs a New Barrel, not new sights.

Of course they do not have new barrels and are 'waiting for parts'!

Now going on four months....no new barrels! This is a brand new "in production" pistol and they can't get a barrel up here from Brazil in four months?

Terrible customer service!

Default that's odd

Quote Originally Posted by db2044 View Post
    Heine replies - no.
    They do have different blades but not to fit this gun.
    Time to start engineering.
    Last year I spoke with them directly - ordered and installed in less then 2 weeks.

I have the same issue with my Taurus PT1911. I love the pistol, but I've had to get used to a center hold with these sights. Why someone went and built a 1911 that won't work with a 6-o'clock hold is beyond me. The pistol is more accurate than me, but as you said, groups about a foot low with a 6 hold.

I checked both Novak's and Heine's website and they indicate that they make replacement sights for the PT1911. However, most of what I hear on the various forums is that they will require machining the slide because of the "unique" Taurus dovetail.

Default All I

Quote Originally Posted by kragluver View Post
    I have the same issue with my Taurus PT1911. I love the pistol, but I've had to get used to a center hold with these sights. Why someone went and built a 1911 that won't work with a 6-o'clock hold is beyond me. The pistol is more accurate than me, but as you said, groups about a foot low with a 6 hold.

I checked both Novak's and Heine's website and they indicate that they make replacement sights for the PT1911. However, most of what I hear on the various forums is that they will require machining the slide because of the "unique" Taurus dovetail.
    did was slide then in...

So far, all the major makers state no front or rear sights that fit the Taurus cut. Prompt email replies with - NO.

So... time to tear into it and make some measurements looking for suitable candidate to modify.
    Well, I got the rear drifted off. It certainly did have a tight fit.
    Looking at the construction, it strikes me it can be raised. Placement of the locking screw is right for canting the back of the blade upward.
    The design, after all, is pretty much comparable to an adjustable sight but lacking a positive click stop for screw adjustments.

Out comes the files.

Step one: take some off the front flat of the sight blade that rests on the flat boss of the slide on a slight angle comparable to the lift desired for the rear, maybe 30 degrees.
    Step two: take some off the rear surface of the dovetail to allow it to ride up higher in the slot.

After a few minutes of filing, it is looser when inserted back in the groove but when the screw is tightened down, it pushes the blade upward in the rear until it tensions against the now thinned dovetail.
    I did gain about 0.010 gap between the rear and the slide raising the rear of the sight.
    There is sufficient meat on the sight to continue this process until the sight elevates sufficiently to reach the desired point of aim.
    I'm proceeding slowly and must test fire before repeating and gauge any additional height requirement but I think this method will eventually bring it to my desired 6:00 zero at 50 yards.
    Once it reaches that, locktite on the screw should keep it firmly in place.

Success! The modifications proved just about right on the range today.
    What I would call low 6:00 at 25 yards but right in the center of the circle. Just a wee tad more maybe. Have to get some more .45 and shoot some clays at 50 yds but think I can get her right on the money where I want it. So itching to take at it again but must confirm it at more distance and it's going to be a tiny hair more.

Default PT 1911 Sights - Same Issue

Since I have the exact same 12" plus south issue on a 50' target, I will have to have machining done to correct the problem?

I was told it needs 200 rounds fired through it before any sight adjustments should be made. It has had approximately 400 rounds through it and I am certain that the sights are a problem. I enjoy the pistol and find it works very well in all aspects except the height targeting.

This seems crazy to me.

It is cured!
    No, there is NO replacement front or rear blade that fits the proprietary cut they used ... bummer!

Solution:
    Unscrew and remove rear sight.
    FILE the rear angle on the dovetail.
    FILE the flat portion on the front that contacts the frame.
    Object is to TILT the dovetail raising the rear.
    Go slowly and equally on each surface.
    Check progress by sliding the rear sight back in the groove and tighten the screw down.
    Insert feeler gauge between the rear base of the sight and frame.
    Dead zero is .013
    Low 6:00 bullseye is .014 or 0.36mm at 25yds.

Out of .45 right now so I can't test it out at 50yds.
    I like a 6:00 bullseye at 50.
    This will do just fine at 25 and it put 5 in a one inch group from a bench rest.

Does anyone have any pictures of what the outcome looks like? I need to adjust mine as well since it shoots 6" low. I am new to the terms such as "dovetail" and such so I am sketchy on the precedures? Write up possibly?

db is referring to the triangle shaped base of the rear site that slides into the similarly shaped groove on the slide when installing the sight. Your best bet is probably to bring your gun to a pistol smith along with a printout of db's post and have the smith do the work.
    Regards, Alan K.
    Available for Cabinet level positions, consultation on matters of foreign policy, weddings and bar-mitzvahs. Will work for gold or guns.

Quote Originally Posted by IamElmerJFudd View Post
    db is referring to the triangle shaped base of the rear site that slides into the similarly shaped groove on the slide when installing the sight. Your best bet is probably to bring your gun to a pistol smith along with a printout of db's post and have the smith do the work.
    I am more than capable of performing this precedure myself and that is why I asked for some pics or a write-up.

Bump....