Cool k98 front sight blade questions...

Upon completion of the "historical restoration" of "Project 1937 S/147", the front sight blade appeared higher than normal. When I set the SR-C target at 150 yds, I ended up setting the rear sight at 600 yds to mark the bull?
    My question's for the Pros on the forum:
    1. are replacement sight blades of various heights available for the k98 like those for the No1 MkIII and No4 Mk1 Enfields, and,
    2. would there be any number sequence stamped as on the Enfields that equate to specific heights?
    thanks for all comments and suggestions,
    Ron

Yes. they do come in different heights. Once removed the height should be marked on the bottom. I have many front sight blades. Most are 5,3 or 5,4 marked. I have only one 6,1 marked blade. The K98 is zero set at 200 meters so anything less than that and you will need to adjust by eye or change the front sight to a taller version. Gun shows are a great find for front sight blades as most keep assorted parts in bins or cigar boxes and so forth. The blades settle to the bottom and get little attention. Each time I hit a show I find a good half dozen of them or more if I want them. Most every waffen marked one I have is e/37 marked. I see very few with other proofs.

mow.
    Talk is cheap because supply always exceeds demand.

mow: On my front sight, there appears to be a "04" on the top of the right dovetail so that it is visible when installed - does this correspond to "5,4?" It looks like that could mean a 5.4mm height?
    NRA Life Member
    1/57 million

No. That is the last two of a serial number. Height markings if they exist are on the bottom and can only be seen upon removal from the weapon.

mow.

Quote Originally Posted by beren74 View Post
    mow: On my front sight, there appears to be a "04" on the top of the right dovetail so that it is visible when installed - does this correspond to "5,4?" It looks like that could mean a 5.4mm height?

this is what they look like on the underside:

Cool thanks guys!

...the search is on for some "shorter" blades!
    Ron

Ah... I see now, thanks for the explanation and for the pic.
    NRA Life Member
    1/57 million

Default Front sight blades

Hello,

I'm chasing some smaller front sight blades. One of the guys here on the board is kindly providing one to me. Does anyone have any of the smaller front sights I could purchase from them? Mausers (and parts) are very light on the ground here.

Thanks in advance for any infomation/advice.

You would have to let us know what height it is that you want. My smallest at the moment is 5,3.

mow.

Mow,

Cheers - I suppose I would be after the smallest one for a start.

Thanks

Just to be sure. A smaller front sight will make you shoot higher not lower. If you are shooting at a short range, under 200m you will need a higher blade.

mow.

ya ya ya ya ya. LOL
    gun show man. look for the gun parts guy. the south american maus got nice tall sights.
    i can trade for waA4 parts.
    PISDETS VSEMU