Default CZ vz. 24 semiautomatic pistol

I would like to know if anyone knows any information on a pistol, WW II vintage, maybe pre-WW II. It is the 380 ACP or 9MM. The right side of the recevier there is: "J, then the Lion w/wing stamp, then 29" on the left side of the slide below the slide grips: the circle w/ a Cinside and the little v on top then a 29 (this is like the lower right stampings below. In front of the hand grip on the steel frame: "VA 125" In front of the trigger guard at the very bottom of the frame has a hand engraved: 13956622 and on the left frame just above the safety: C w/ a little v on top, then an arrow stamp pointing up, the a Z. The top side of the slide between the front and rear sight has a raised rib the complete length on the top side, viewed from the left side you can read on the top of the slide: CESKA ZBROJOVKA ASv PRAZE 94608, then the "stamped" Lion w/wings. The pistol looks very similar to the picture below:

CZ vz. 24 semiautomatic pistol (.380 ACP a.k.a. 9mm Browning)

I think you have most of it. Military pistol Cz 24 made by Česk√° Zbrojovka and accepted in 1929 into Czech military service, and used (VA) at the Czech Military Academy; pistol #125. The rest of the markings are pretty much standard CZ markings except for the engraved number, and I know not what it means. Chambered in 380 auto.
    befus

If it is marked 9mm Browning short it probably was chambered for Czechoslovak vz.22 Ammunition, which has same diameter and length of cartridge but is a little bit stronger in effect (more gunpowder) On some types of CZ guns (and probably not only CZ) serial number (or its last X numbers) repepated additionaly on other parts of the gun. I am not sure if this is true for vz.24, but if it is, it means the weapon has been assembeld from various parts (either repaired "on the battlefield" or completed from parts in post-war years), but I am not realy sure about this right now and have to look into "Československ√© pistole 1918-1950" and try to find more.

{EDIT1} BTW the Lion with wings You mean the sign on the picture in bottom on the left? In matter of fact it is Lion with two tails {/EDIT1}
    Last edited by mcfarrel; 03-02-2009 at 02:31 AM.

Hello certainly interesting stamping, little scurios as so different acceptance, could You add all stamping mainly the grips J lion 29? same number on slide and grip? the grip stampings speaks about acceptance to Gendarmery in 1934, refireproofed in 1931? best regards,Andy

Quote Originally Posted by AndyB View Post
    Hello certainly interesting stamping, little scurios as so different acceptance, could You add all stamping mainly the grips J lion 29? same number on slide and grip? the grip stampings speaks about acceptance to Gendarmery in 1934, refireproofed in 1931? best regards,Andy
    Troy wrote it probably in little bit confusing manner but:

Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    ...The pistol looks very similar to the picture below...
    Or at least I decypher it like this: pictures shown here are not pictures of his pistol but a pictures of pistol of same type.

But what makes me little bit confused is the number on the top of his pistol (described in text) These are not exactly the same a the last five numbers of serial number (which should be in case the part is from the same gun). So I suppose the pistol has been "re-assembled" from various parts e.g. by improvised repair (so I have supposed it might be re-assembeld in post-war years but this is pure speculation). Btw what is the serial number of barrel anyway?)

The Lion is standard sign for the testing of guns in Czech republic or former Czechoslovakia. The Lion has been used as a sign for additional testing, but as far as I am concerned the Lion had to be followed by four numbers not only two. These numbers indicates the date of additional test, the number after the ČZ should be the year of test in factory at the end of manufacturing process.

Weapons manufactured during WWII should have the markings in German language, there should be Tschechische Waffenfabrik in Prag Aktien Gesselschaft (or A.G.) Kaliber (or most likely Kal.) 9 mm Browning Kurtz (Br. K. probably) and if the weapon had been issued to German military service and manufactured during WWII there would be Third Reich acceptance markings.

BTW: AndyB may I ask You for advice: What kind of sign to mark is used in present Slovakia to mark gun has passed additional testing and what kind of sign has been used in Sloavkia in WWII. Thaks a lot.
    Last edited by mcfarrel; 03-03-2009 at 03:42 AM.

Sorry so i dont looked correctly Your text, so Your piece is only J lion 29 stamped(not so interesting as the Cet marked) and unit marked to Vojenska Akademia as Military Academy, nr.125, the number on open of reciever is probably corect for the pistol, i dont know what is the large number? the barell should be same numbered as grip,there should be not mixed army acceptance with commercial proofs, Your pistol was proofed and accepted in same year 1929, the single lions on reciever and barell are fireproofs. Commercial proof in Czechoslovakia or war period should be lion inside of N letter, slovakia fireproof in WW2 is the symbol of national crest, and could be seen only rifles, post 1993 is a normal slovakian fireproof, inside of panel is 3 various high hills with doubble cross on middle and date with last 2 digits.best regards,Andy

Thanks for info about fireproof markings used in Slovakia AndyB.

cet is a czech police marking

Default CZ vz. 24 semiautomatic pistol

I have one of these that my dad gave me. He said he traded chocolate for it. Does anyone have an idea of what it is worth?

Cet is not czech police, is a czechoslovak gendarmery.

As andy mentioned here before ČET is for ČETNICTVO which means gendarmery in Czech.

And the gendarmerie where rural czech police. What do you think gendarmerie means?

The Gendarmery was a partly independent of Czechoslovak town police. They have own structure and heading. best regards,Andy

Yes but they still served as a police force.

Yes they served as rural police, but for correct translation You couldnt wrote "cet is a czech police marking" - Cet is not police is Gendarmery, is not czech as could be not destined from this stamp a location - it could be czech, moravian,silesian,slovakian or russocarpathian area gendarmery unit, same as exist various other police stamps. It should be everytime correct translated. best regards.Andy

But there was only czechoslovakia at the time the stamp was used so I guess the really correct term would be czechoslovakian gendarmerie or czechoslovakian rural police.

Default Re My CZ 24 Pistol

RE CZ model 24 pistols, am I correct in assuming mine in the below photos is a commercial model? Thanks!

hello it looks like very early production with frame similar to Vz.22 pistol, it should be looked for exact proofs of the pistol for more info, some were prepared for exports or presentation pieces, when the magazine is for 8 rounds,best regards,Andy
    Last edited by AndyB; 06-16-2009 at 02:46 PM.

Default Спасибо!

Thanks very much Andy for the ID on my Model 24 pistol and also for the prior ID on my VZ 23 rifle. They are not accessible just now because of a remodel of my home in progress. (I used my insurance file photos for the posts.) When I can reach them I will inspect for further markings and probably request more information then.

Default Cz 24 /cz 26?

maybe someone can help?? I have a .380 cal pistol that is stamped CZ 25 but also has a 26 stamped in the frame. Is this a CZ 24, 25 , or 26?
    Also, on the front of the grip there is a 36P 1161 that is striked through and then 372. Anyone know what these number mean?
    Ski

You have there a czechoslovak Vz.24 pistol, made by Ceska Zbrojovka in 1925 and accepted in to CS army service in 1926 (J lion 26) and used in first period by 36 Infantry Regiment,best regards,Andy

Default CZ 24

Great! Now next question is..where is the best place to get a hammer spring and .380 magazine for it?
    Ski

skiludd, Springfield Sporters has parts for the CZ27, and the hammer springs are interchangable, if I recall correctly.

24. Default

Quote Originally Posted by victorba View Post
    I have one of these that my dad gave me. He said he traded chocolate for it. Does anyone have an idea of what it is worth?
    They are worth anywhere from $600 - $725, depending on the condition!