Gunboards Forums banner

murata type 18 model 1885 value??

2K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  seinen 
#1 ·
I am wondering if anyone can help with the value of this rifle. Let me know if any more information is needed and I will try to provide it. Thanks!!

#10 · (Edited)
This is NOT an auction or private sale forum. Lots of members would be interested in what you are offering. Most of us collect Type 99s and several folks collect swords. We ALL want a good deal. This type of thread does nothing but build frustration over perceived "behind the scenes" dealing and "I saw him first" quibbles. That is why they are not allowed on this board or any other Gunboards forum. Muratas normally bring several hundred $$ and so do nice swords. Your 99 could be anywhere from $75 to $750 depending on condition, rarity and accessories.

The last seller who had no idea on values posted detailed photos for estimates, got several, picked one in the middle and posted the items on the trader. Fair to everyone as the person who happens to see it first gets first opportunity. Suggest the same here. If you want to go the auction route, post them with good photos, basic description and let the market run. No need for "estimates" as they will run to value regardless with good photos.

#12 ·
Sorry Brad, I have no intention of doing anything sketchy or unfair. I simply haven't done this before and have no idea what i am doing. I have been trying to find out what they might be worth so I don't get "taken". These were my fathers weapons and my brother and I are the only ones left and have decided to sell them. And Paul, no, I am not the person at the gun show in TN. Way too old to fit that description unfortunatley. Brad, I will follow your advise as soon as I figure out just how to do it the best way. I hope you all understand!!

#13 ·
I see no problem in jr4127's request for a valuation of his items, especially since he is straightforward about his intentions, no backroom dealings that I could see or feel, and most of all would be great to see photos of a nice Murata and possibly an interesting sword.

#14 ·
Thanks Eddoko, I will go ahead and attach the photo's I have of the sword, which are not great. I will have more when my brother brings the sword and visits Friday. I am getting an education here, and believe the best thing to do is put these three items on Gunbroker.com and give everyone a fair look. I should have that ready by the weekend. Dad said there is a "history of the sword" inside the handle which, when my brother comes friday we will open and take a look at. It would very neat to understand what it says!!

#15 ·
and here are more of the Murata. The serial number is 146447, the only other numbers on the gun are on the bolt. There is a symbol in front of them that looks like this /\ and the number is 449 in each case. Again, hope i'm not doing anything wrong!!!

#16 · (Edited)
jr; no malice intended... the Murata is quite nice, as is the sword. I don't know Muratas well so I will leave that to the experts. It is "outfitted" with a Type 38 rubberized canvas sling (minus buckle it appears).

The sword is a standard Army Officer's gunto. Assuming the sword has an oil quenched blade (likely), it is worth about $800-$1000 "ish" with the nice company grade knot and overall condition (looks to have come from a smoker's house due to discoloration of rayskin under wrap? A common occurrence). If the provenance is "sexy", it will add value also.

If you remove the handle and post photos of the tang, more folks can give a better estimate on the actual value (in case it is a hand-forged, known maker). My guess is an early 1943 date. The handle comes off by pushing out the single bamboo peg... don't force it if you aren't sure what you are doing. Also, do not touch the blade with bare fingers... they rust quickly. Don't use anything to clean the "rust" off the tang; it helps date the sword. Wipe the blade with a clean cloth and some light machine oil for now. Photos also need to show the close-up of blade temper line and the point to determine quality.

If that is the Type 99 in the background, it has been sporterized and is a $75 rifle as it will never be matching again without proper arsenal stock and bayo lug was likely numbered.

Edokko; I wasn't implying you were doing anything other than being the helpful board member you are so graciously being the rest of the time. I read everything you post to expand my own knowledge. I'll bet you my eye-teeth though that he got several PMs from lurkers and less "visible" members. Not saying those weren't helpful either, but...

#17 ·
Thanks a bunch Brad. We'll see if we can get some quality pics up per your suggestions this weekend. All this has been very interesting and very educational (and fun!). And you are right, I have recieved a couple of personal e-mails expressing interest and asking if I had come up with a price. However, after I told them I hadn't they didn't press. In fact, one suggested options such as Gunbrokers to fairly move the items. Just thought you'd like to know. You know your business!!! Thanks again!!

#18 ·
Brad, yes I do agree on that part about lurkers and pm'ers but I think jr received the best advice from you by posting up here. Ginbroker should be the way to go.

Jr4127, that Murata looks like it is in very good condition. Thing that would be nice to know is whether the cleaning rod is intact and whether the extractor is intact. Can you post some photos of the end of the rifle, the bolt head area, and also the top of the receiver where the chrysanthemum marking should be.
As for the sword, I agree with Brad that it is probably an early or mid war blade in Type 98 mounts. Blade looks pretty nice on the photos and "could" be a Mantestu or Emura sword, and if so that would be very nice value wise too. Looking forward to seeing photos of the inscriptions on the tang underneath the handle.

#19 ·
Edokko, I have attached more photos and I am hoping these are what you want to see. the mum turned out good. I gave the cleaning rod a good yank until I figured out that it unscrews. It's in good shape. Hope this is the shot of the bolt you want but not sure what the extractor is. Only can figure it pulls the spent bullet (went to a class d school!). So I think I have it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.