Default 7.62x54 bullet tip color?

I am looking at some of this ammo. Red over silver tip. I have not had the chance to see the headstamp. I cant find this tip color mix. Are these maybe reloads? Before I by them I am trying to find out.
    they are off like a herd of turtles...

Made in over a dozen com-block countries, you have to find country of origin, date of mnfr, headstamp and then look up the matching color code. Codes changed over the years and different countries used different color codes.

Here is a good reference to check on 54R ammo:
    http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmoID.htm

Do not recall that code on 54R.... Always suspect 54R loaded with Pulled 30-06 API bullets when I see that color combination.

I posted on some of this stuff years ago and everyone said i was NUTS!
    1 EYE

Quote Originally Posted by 1 EYE View Post
    I posted on some of this stuff years ago and everyone said i was NUTS!
    Have you shot it...pulled a bullet??? What is it?

It's not legit, it's a reload in a .308 cal bullet. If it were a real 7.62x54r API it would be red with a black tip. Another clue, mild steel is never a AP round.
    The soothing light at the end of your tunnel is just a freight train coming your way.

I don't remeber what they where i will go look them up in my notes.
    1 EYE

Red over silver is not a 7.62x54r color code, nor is it used on any 7.62 either. The projectile's ogive shape suggests that it is the correct projectile for the caliber. I think what has happened here is that someone dabbed some red paint on the already existing silver tips of regular LPS mild steel core ball. It is certainly not an authentic color code for this caliber. If anyone has one of these rounds, I'd be glad to section it to positively identify it's type.

D.D.

I was just told that E is at 12 oclock and 188 is at 6 oclock from the seller. If they are reloads I would rather not purchase them. Thanks for the help on this.
    they are off like a herd of turtles...

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
    Red over silver is not a 7.62x54r color code, nor is it used on any 7.62 either. The projectile's ogive shape suggests that it is the correct projectile for the caliber. I think what has happened here is that someone dabbed some red paint on the already existing silver tips of regular LPS mild steel core ball. It is certainly not an authentic color code for this caliber. If anyone has one of these rounds, I'd be glad to section it to positively identify it's type.

D.D.
    I think you are spot on...and the crimp looks factory and undisturbed too.

Quote Originally Posted by lone shooter View Post
    I was just told that E is at 12 oclock and 188 is at 6 oclock from the seller. If they are reloads I would rather not purchase them. Thanks for the help on this.
    188 is Russia

http://www.7.62x54r.net/MosinID/Mosi...D01.htm#Klimov

at least the cases are Russian...

Oh my I hate this round! I have one (same 188 E headstamp and .310 bullet) that I bought a long time ago, probably early '90s. I picked it up out of a junk box at a gun show. I've always figured that it was just someone screwing around but once every year or two someone shows up with one from a different part of the country. One thing that bothers me is that the silver paint doesn't quite match the silver paint on a normal light ball round with the same headstamp without the red. There is more of it on the red/silver one. I really wish someone would buy this stuff and section one so I could throw mine away with no guilt!