Gunboards Forums banner

7.62x54 bullet tip color?

14K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  SfcRet 
#1 ·
I am looking at some of this ammo. Red over silver tip. I have not had the chance to see the headstamp. I cant find this tip color mix. Are these maybe reloads? Before I by them I am trying to find out.

#2 ·
Made in over a dozen com-block countries, you have to find country of origin, date of mnfr, headstamp and then look up the matching color code. Codes changed over the years and different countries used different color codes.

#8 ·
Red over silver is not a 7.62x54r color code, nor is it used on any 7.62 either. The projectile's ogive shape suggests that it is the correct projectile for the caliber. I think what has happened here is that someone dabbed some red paint on the already existing silver tips of regular LPS mild steel core ball. It is certainly not an authentic color code for this caliber. If anyone has one of these rounds, I'd be glad to section it to positively identify it's type.

D.D.

#12 ·
Oh my I hate this round! I have one (same 188 E headstamp and .310 bullet) that I bought a long time ago, probably early '90s. I picked it up out of a junk box at a gun show. I've always figured that it was just someone screwing around but once every year or two someone shows up with one from a different part of the country. One thing that bothers me is that the silver paint doesn't quite match the silver paint on a normal light ball round with the same headstamp without the red. There is more of it on the red/silver one. I really wish someone would buy this stuff and section one so I could throw mine away with no guilt!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.