Makarov IJ-70 slide is stuck

Thread: Makarov IJ-70 slide is stuck

Default Makarov IJ-70 slide is stuck

I have an IJ-70 that is my favorite handgun. When I was shooting at the range today, the gun made a pfffft noise and then it fired normally. When the slide went back following the next round, the slide stuck in the rearward position and can't be moved back or forward. If I don't get any help here, I wont have any choice but take it to a gunsmith. The gunsmiths around here take a minimum of two months to do a repair.

sounds like you had a squid round. if you can see a down the barrel look fora bulge, ring looking, that the slide is stuck on .

There is a ring inside the barrel, but there is nothing in the barrel. I can't take the slide off to see if there is a bulge. I got the slide unstuck with a rubber mallet with the end of the barrel resting on a piece of wood. Is the gun junk now, or should I take it to a gunsmith?

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

if I had to say you need a new barrel... your mak is far from being junk. what kind of ammo were you using

Quote Originally Posted by Argeebee View Post
    There is a ring inside the barrel, but there is nothing in the barrel. I can't take the slide off to see if there is a bulge. I got the slide unstuck with a rubber mallet with the end of the barrel resting on a piece of wood. Is the gun junk now, or should I take it to a gunsmith?
    If you are at all handy with hand tools, you should be able to get your IJ70 back in working order.

You will need:

The rubber mallet and block of wood you mentioned above
    A hack saw
    Makarov barrel press
    New Makarov barrel
    Most likely a new barrel pin

First thing to do is make surre its unloaded of course, then remove the grip, mainspring retainer and mainspring. Next use a small drift punch to remove the triggerguard pivot pin, and then the triggerguard itself. Also the plunger and spring.

Next, draw the slide back as far it will go, then using your block and rubber mallet, tap it so the front of the slide is BEHIND the bulge in the barrel.

Take your hack saw and cut the barrel off as close to the front of the slide as you can, without touching the slide itself.

At this point, the slide should come off the frame. Following the directions that come with the Barrel press (I wrote those also :D ) remove the stub of the barrel (you will have to take the rest of the pistol apart first, after the slide is off) and install your new barrel. Put everything back together, check evrything over closely, and you are good to go. First time out, it will normally take you about 3-4 hours start to finish if you are good with tools, maybe a bit longer if your not. And I bet you save $$$ over what a Gunsmith would charge just for labor alone.

The barrel press can be purchased http://www.gunpartswarehouse.com/makarov.htm and he was also going to start making Barrels, might email him and ask about that.

-George
    Last edited by gfisher; 03-06-2009 at 04:23 PM.

The ammo I was using is Brown Bear 94 grain FMJ. Lacquered steel cases, non-corrosive and Berdan primed. Box of 50 rounds. Brown Bear 9x18. From "Cheaper than Dirt" online. I still have about 150 rounds.

Where can I get a barrel for my IJ-70?

I have tried and tried and I can't get the slide over the bulge to cut the barrel and I can't get past the bulge.

Quote Originally Posted by Argeebee View Post
    I have tried and tried and I can't get the slide over the bulge to cut the barrel and I can't get past the bulge.
    Where on the barrel is the bulge ? You may be able to pull the slide back to the bulge, and then cut off the rest, and then remove the slide off the front, but you will most likely distroy your recoil spring in doing this.

As I recall, you need just over 1" of the barrel cut off to remove the slide forward. The front of the slide will lift up, than move the whole thing backwards, and off at the rear.

-George

The bulge is about 1 1/16 from the end.

first of all let me say that I am not a gunsmith.. but if it was mine this is what I would do. cut off the part of the barrel that is sticking out, and then start SLOWLY drilling.try to drill the ID of the barrel to thin it so will flex when you push on it. I would only try this it was my gun.

I was thinking the same thing, drill it out slowly until the barrel is paper thin, then pull up on the slide. I'm curious as to how this all pans out. I've got a barrel that has a bad feed ramp on it, I'm thinking seriously of installing it just to see how hard it would be to deal with this problem. Never had a squib, but it can happen to anyone, anytime. The fact that the OP found now obstruction in the barrel means that the last round he fired pushed out the round that was stuck in the barrel. Another testimonial to the toughness of these guns. A lesser gun probably would have detonated.
    I carry three mags. The first one is to get me to cover. The second one is to put up a spirited defense. The third one is to get me back to where I left my rifle.

Between the new barrel, the barrel pin, the recoil spring, the barrel press and the fact that I cut the barrel off as far back as I could and I still couldn't remove the slide; I took the gun to a gunsmith to do the repair and he quoted me $175.00 and three weeks to get the gun working again AND be cosmetically as good as it was.

Ask the guy what he wants to get the slide off the thing, and nothing else. Barrel replacement is pretty easy, you can do the rest of the work yourself. Might save a fair amount of money that way...
    I carry three mags. The first one is to get me to cover. The second one is to put up a spirited defense. The third one is to get me back to where I left my rifle.

I was wondering how cutting the front off the barrel would've helped -- can the slide be lifted at the front? I don't think the slide could go far forward easily and so wouldn't the keys in the frame and slide keep the slide from going up?!

We know the silly slide can get past the bulge -- he did it once before. So, what's the gunsmith gonna do and what's the best way of doing it backwards again that we can all come up with? Good vice, lots o'thin slippery lubricant, maybe some freezing cold spray down the barrel (only) to shrink it a little, a very well cushioned hefty pipe that fits a little loosley around the barrel and can be whacked against the mouth of the slide to drive it past the bulge again... Sounds like a typical Saturday night to me!

Sorry u r having this dificulty. Personally, I would do whatever I could to fix it myself and see if someone here'll lend/rent you a barrel press. I also wouldn't sink what the gunsmith is looking for into a Makarov. 'course, you could look at it as though you are buying one for $175+. Conversely, you could just sell it for parts and let someone else worry about it. One man's junk...

Alden

Quote Originally Posted by Alden View Post
    I was wondering how cutting the front off the barrel would've helped -- can the slide be lifted at the front? I don't think the slide could go far forward easily and so wouldn't the keys in the frame and slide keep the slide from going up?!

We know the silly slide can get past the bulge -- he did it once before. So, what's the gunsmith gonna do and what's the best way of doing it backwards again that we can all come up with? Good vice, lots o'thin slippery lubricant, maybe some freezing cold spray down the barrel (only) to shrink it a little, a very well cushioned hefty pipe that fits a little loosley around the barrel and can be whacked against the mouth of the slide to drive it past the bulge again... Sounds like a typical Saturday night to me!

Sorry u r having this dificulty. Personally, I would do whatever I could to fix it myself and see if someone here'll lend/rent you a barrel press. I also wouldn't sink what the gunsmith is looking for into a Makarov. 'course, you could look at it as though you are buying one for $175+. Conversely, you could just sell it for parts and let someone else worry about it. One man's junk...

Alden
    I like this, you could heat the slide then freeze the barrel. it just may work.

One thing...
    I didn't recommend warming the slide because I am only 99% sure the hole would get larger and the whole slide not just expand, i.e. bigger slide and smaller hole, and, it could be a little hard to warm the slide and NOT the barrel (though the latter WAS cut back already, so...) -- need to do it gently as in no open flames on the bluing.
    Alden

Quote Originally Posted by gfisher View Post
    If you are at all handy with hand tools, you should be able to get your IJ70 back in working order.

You will need:

The rubber mallet and block of wood you mentioned above
    A hack saw
    Makarov barrel press
    New Makarov barrel
    Most likely a new barrel pin

First thing to do is make surre its unloaded of course, then remove the grip, mainspring retainer and mainspring. Next use a small drift punch to remove the triggerguard pivot pin, and then the triggerguard itself. Also the plunger and spring.

Next, draw the slide back as far it will go, then using your block and rubber mallet, tap it so the front of the slide is BEHIND the bulge in the barrel.

Take your hack saw and cut the barrel off as close to the front of the slide as you can, without touching the slide itself.

At this point, the slide should come off the frame. Following the directions that come with the Barrel press (I wrote those also :D ) remove the stub of the barrel (you will have to take the rest of the pistol apart first, after the slide is off) and install your new barrel. Put everything back together, check evrything over closely, and you are good to go. First time out, it will normally take you about 3-4 hours start to finish if you are good with tools, maybe a bit longer if your not. And I bet you save $$$ over what a Gunsmith would charge just for labor alone.

The barrel press can be purchased http://www.gunpartswarehouse.com/makarov.htm and he was also going to start making Barrels, might email him and ask about that.

-George
    Just a reminder that the trigger guard pin is "stepped." With upward force on the trigger guard it should be possible to push it out with minimal force. If you start pounding without some compression on the bottom of the trigger guard you may do some damage.

PM me if you have trouble finding a barrel. CB

Glad I found this thread. A squib round expanded the barrel on my 1985 Bulgarian Makarov, and I thought it was trashed. I've tried the rubber mallet to free the slide (tried both directions), but it's still stuck. Next idea is the vice, if it opens far enough. Regardless of whether that works, or I ever get this gun fixed, it's good to know that the barrel can be replaced and how to do it.

P.S. - I bought another Bulgarian Makarov last week--cost a little more that the first one, but the latter was pretty beat up. With luck, I'll fix that one and have two!

-Harry

What brand of ammo were you shooting Harry?
    I'm always looking for rare varieties of 9x18 ammunition.