Default Chrome/engraved/"pearl grip" factory Llamas

So how often do you all see these and how much more to you think they are worth than a standard blued model?

I rarely see these and never see versions like the gold damanscened versions. Anyways today I saw a Llama .45acp with the coarse factory engraving, Llama medallioned pearl looking grips and I believe a chrome finish. Vent rib on slide. $450, if it was lower priced and a .38super I would have bought it.

I had a bad example of a Llama IX-A IIRC, it didn't take standard 1911 mags either but I'd pick one up again for cheap maybe.

The .38super models are hard to find in my area and get high asking prices but do you all think the $450 .45acp was a fair price?

Moon, I have no idea how many of the gold damascened guns were sold, but I have a 1980 pricelist that lists the dealer cost for a regular 45 at $237.75 and the same gun in satin chrome engraved was $300 dealer cost. That year only the 380 was available in gold damascened and the DEALER COST WAS $1125.00! I would love to see pics of one of these if any of the members have one. I can't tell you if the engraved one you sawfor $450 is worth it. If it had the factory box and papers and in 98% condition I would be tempted. Four years ago I passed on a factory engraved 45 presented by the Spanish government in 1969 to an American Major doing liason work. Pistol had a presentation box and documents.....I made a mistake not to buy it for $the $600 asking price.

Remember the quote from Patton?
    Only a pimp in a New Orleans whorehouse would have pearl grips

Default Here's a pic of the .380

Not a good picture by any means. Off the back of an old Stoeger's catalog.

Thanks for the pic. I wonder, given the cost, if Stoeger imported any of these or if they were a custom order only.

This old Shooter's Bible of 1950 I acquired has all the three models shown on the back, the gold damascened engraved model sold for $350, the engraved chrome plated sold $86 and the blued model was $48.

Default Correction

That Shooters Bible is a 1960 printing, not a 1950. Not wearing my glasses.

Default Engraved llamas

I came across 2 llama 111 a 380 caliber at a gun store about 6 months ago and bought then both along with a llama martial relvolver in 38 special.All three firearms were engraved with pearl grips,appeared new and
    in the box.The Martial was chromed engraved,1 111a was blue engraved
    and 1 was chrome engraved.
    I paid 250.00 for the 111a and 200.00 for the martial.
    I could not resist and i thought the price was right!!

Default Stoeger Llamas

Stoeger was selling those Gold engraved Llamas back in the 50's. They sure were pretty. I was in the store in 1955 to buy one of those NEW Ruger .22cal pistols but like Patton I did not care for them ( the Llamas that is) Up the street was Abercrombi& Fitch a high end dealer catering to big bucks Safari types But they treated common people like myself with the same attention. I bought A Model 50 Winchester shotgun ,the salesman brought out every one from the store room and opened them so I could choose the one I liked. To you younger guys The Abercrombi & Fitch Mall stores just use the name. Sgt.Ron.

Dog, I think you made a great buy!

I just could not keep my cash in my pocket!!!!
    All 3 of the Llamas are from the early 70"s and were imported by Stoeger.
    Actually the store had 2 more 380,1 more Martial,and a 9mm auto all
    engraved.I wanted to buy all of them,but i need to stay on the good side
    of my wife!!!
    The shop apparently recieved the firearms from a estate.
    I did go back to buy more of them but they were all sold.
    DOGSO3

Quote Originally Posted by DOGS03 View Post
    I came across 2 llama 111 a 380 caliber at a gun store about 6 months ago and bought then both along with a llama martial relvolver in 38 special.All three firearms were engraved with pearl grips,appeared new and
    in the box.The Martial was chromed engraved,1 111a was blue engraved
    and 1 was chrome engraved.
    I paid 250.00 for the 111a and 200.00 for the martial.
    I could not resist and i thought the price was right!!
    I'd of probably bought those as well, the Martial, well all of those guns, I'd like to see pics of.

This is an old post but I have a damascened Orbea Hermanos that I would like to share a pic with. Old copy of a Model S&W 1905 M&P. Looks like the same artisan that did this work did the Llama Colt revolver featured on the cover of Gene Gangarosa Jr's book titled Spanish Handguns The history of Spanish handguns and revolvers (2001). I sure would like to talk to the owner of that revolver.Attachment 278338Attachment 278342Attachment 278343

Meindert, having trouble accessing your pics.

Clyde is online now Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by John Sukey View Post
    Remember the quote from Patton?
    Only a pimp in a New Orleans whorehouse would have pearl grips
    Georgie was an opinionated prick (like his son, whom i had occasion to encounter some) - and apparently can't (or rather couldn't) differentiate between a Nawlins pimp and a Texas Ranger or sheriff packing his "Bar-B-Que" gun. if you go to the Texas Ranger Museum in Waco, you'll find a LOT of side-arms with MOP handles. Carried by some serious killing folks in the day...
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)