Thread: WWII Japanese Flag (Pics)

Default WWII Japanese Flag (Pics)

Hey guys, this is my first post and first time visiting this board. I made a post on another gun board and a member recommended that I should post in this sub-forum. Here is the post I made on the other board. I was told I might find better answers here.

My Original Post...

----------------------
    I’ve had this Japanese Flag stored away for many years. It would have previously belonged to my grandfather on my dad’s side of the family. It is my understanding that he served on a PT boat in the Pacific theater during WWII. I can only assume that my grandfather captured it at some point during his service. He passed away before I was even born so I have no WWII stories to give as background information.

I’ve always been curious about the flag. Anybody seen something like this before? Anybody able to tell me what any of the writing says? I always assumed the writing would be names of soldiers and perhaps some battle slogans. But I just do not know. Any help would be much appreciated!

For reference, it is about 26” x 36” in dimension.

For a great source of info on these yosegaki flags, you should go to the following site.

http://www.gethistorytoday.com/

Edokko-san:

Pardon my ignorance, I see this word "yosegaki" thrown about on e-bay and here on the board, what does that word mean ?.
    Vicasoto

Vic, my friend. Yosegaki means to "write together", so literally means to write names or messages on things like a large presentation card or for these cases on Japanese national flags to give to someone who is well wished.

Thanks for sharring -x-

Can anyone help in translating some of the writing?

Sturm

Quote Originally Posted by SturmGrenadier View Post
    Thanks for sharring -x-

Can anyone help in translating some of the writing?

Sturm
    It's mostly names. The big characters at the top are a common slogan seen on many flags. Of interest in the right corner it appears to say "All of us, 8th Company".

That's a fine looking flag. You should have it professionally framed to preserve it.