Gunboards Forums banner

Ejecting shells issue - K98

8K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  HerrMesser 
#1 ·
Hey all,
I have an RC K98, finally got some ammo for it but have not had a chance to take it to the range.
I took it into the backyard(could shoot back there if i wanted, but i prefer to keep happy neighbors) to check the cycling of live ammo though it, since it has not had live ammo in it in 10+ years.
On both the turk surplus ammo I have and the Mitchell's Mausers ammo, the live shells keep hanging up and do not eject.
I have taken off the boltstop and the ejector and all that, and it all seems to be working, and is not gunked up.
The edges of the shells seem to keep getting hung up on the extractor for some reason, when i pull the bolt back all the way the ejector comes up from the side and forces up one side of the shell, but the other side of the shell that is in the extractor seems to keep hanging up.
What the heck is the problem? Things might be different once the shells have been shot - with recoil and the lighter shell, all that, but I am just curious if there is something I need to look at.

#2 ·
when you pull the bolt all the way back the ejector should extend just beyond the alignment ears on the bolt face. if not, you may have a worn ejector. you may also pull the bolt out and use a fired case if you have one....it should easily snap in and out of the extractor. if you do not have a fired round, unscrew the firing pin mechanism from the bolt body and then you can safely check it the same way. that should help you determine if its the extractor or the ejector. Hope this helps.

#3 ·
Do you just ease the bolt back or slam it like you are in conbat. If the ejector is hitting the case it should swing it out unless it is too short or is it possible to install it backwards.

Rad

#6 ·
Thanks for the responses guys.
Here is what I know:
When I pull the bolt back the sliver of metal comes the little slit in the bolt, but I don't think it comes the enture way up above the edges of the bolt that stick up - the alignment ears I assume.
I pulled that little piece of metal out and looked at it, but it doesn;t look cut down, it looks like it has a tapered edge cut all around it.
I will report more this weekend - headed to the range with it.

When it does not eject the shells, they are hung up on the extractor side, the ejector side is sort of free, but the shell just sort of cocks to the side a bit and sits there and no amount of slamming the bolt back will pop it out, I actually have to grab it and pull it out.
If it does eject the shell, it throws them with just enough force to clear the receiver and that is it.

I would try another ejector piece, but sadly I don't have any other K98s.
Once again, thanks guys, I will post more after I shoot it.

#7 ·
bigdog02,

It may not be the problem, but as Award said, if the ejector is in backwards, it will just ride up on the case rim & not kick it out.
Attached is a pic of how it should look when installed correctly.
Hud

#8 · (Edited)
Yup that is how it looks in the gun except mine, the curve is more pronounced where the screw goes through and the head that sticks out.
For some reason, the piece you have drawn looks bigger in relation to what I have - maybe it is just a worn ejector.

Also something I noticed last night removing the bolt, when i pull out on that ejector to release the bolt, the metal piece that you have show in grey at the bottom of the drawing sort of flexes "out" and bows a bit.

#9 ·
Pull the ejector box off and remove the flat bar. Completely clean all the pieces with kroil or something. You can pull the flat tab straight out(might seem like it won't come out but it will). Then wipe it clean and put everything back together. Insert the screw in but don't over tighten it. The bolt release should have tension in it when you pull it outward and snap back when released. If you over tighten the screw it won't work the way it is designed.

BTW, toothpicks and q-tips work great in small areas.

#10 ·
I actually tried to pull that flat bar out just a little while ago.
I used a small punch and hit the "flat" end and it like poped down inside the box over the lip.
The other "fat" side was sticking out and that darned thing would not budge at all to pull it out the rest of the way.
I might let it soak in some oil or something to get it out, cause it isn't budging right now :)

#12 ·
It is a punch I modified so it is flat, so I don't mar it all up :) I have been using it on the sites for my Mosins for a while, have no fear.

It sure as henry was not budging when I tried to pull it out, that is for sure.

If you are referring tot he actual metal lever piece that the screw goes through, I can get that out easily. It's the flat metal part at the bottom of his drawing that I was trying to get out

#13 ·
bigdog02,

The part that you are trying to remove is actually two springs.

The big flat one is the bolt stop box spring & it has a small one attached which is the ejector spring.

It shouldn't be necessary to remove them & I advise against it (booger to get back together) unless the ejector spring is broken.

With the ejector installed in the box, put the screw in & if there is tension on the ejector, the spring is OK.

If you feel you must remove the spring, it drives out from back to front.
See attached pics.

Hud

#15 ·
Not sure what the issue was, but i took off the ejector box tonight, used the toothpicks and qtips and sprayed oil and breakfree down in there and it seemed to help.
Took it outside and ran ammo through it, cycling the bolt and it ejected all of them - now not far mind you, but just enough to clear the receiver and wood.
it is like the ejector piece was gummy or something it seems - working it around, cleaning the spring area and all that seemed to help. I had cleaned it out before - before i posted, but there must have been some serious gunk down in there or something.
Tomorrow is range day with the wife, so i will see how it does and update again :)

#17 ·
Took it to the range on saturday.
It ejected empty shells just fine, tossed them about 1-2 feet away from the action.
Cleaned the ejector box incredibly good when i got home, again - still doesn't seem to like ejecting loaded shells.
Ahh well, it shoots good and ejects when it has to - I will soak the ejector box in some Coleman lantern fuel here soon to see if there is anything down inside that spring that I can't get to.

In an ammo note - it really likes the few Mitchell's Mausers shells I had. It is not such a big fan of the Turk surplus, but all went bang and I had a great time shooting it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.