Gunboards Forums banner

Armes Unique Mikros Is a gunsmith needed?

5K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  RickP 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone
I inherited a Unique Mikros .25 that was in the family for decades. I fired it severl months ago and the grips cracked. Because of the sentimental value, I located and purcahsed new grips for $40. In the meantime I dry-fired the gun numerous times - maybe 15-20 in a two month period. Went to test-fire it and it would not fire! Almost certain it's the firing pin since there are no primer dents. Wondering if the dry-firing broke the pin. ? Should pushing the firing pin in from the rear make it protude into the chamber - because I tried that, and even though there is resistance from the spring, the firing pin does not poke through. Also wondering if this is a repair I can make - if I can find the part. I still have the owner's manual with diagram. I hate to dump anymore $ into it for a gunsmith, if I could even find one that would work on it...

Rick

#2 ·
Dry firing these can break the firing pin which it sounds like you did doing this.
You can find a new firing pin from Bob's Gun Shop ... http://www.gun-parts.com/unique/
Replace the firing pin and DO NOT DRY FIRE IT, call this a lesson learned
Patrick

#4 ·
A-Zoom makes snap caps in .25 ACP if you need to dry fire the pistol to release the hammer or striker spring for storage. They're cheap insurance against firing pin breakage. If you can post some pics of the slide from different angles I may be able tell you how to remove the firing pin.

#5 ·
Photos

Thanks for the offer NG. Here are some photos - I hope. Note that the diagram shows there should be two pins on the side. They are not there... Never did any gunsmithing work before, but I'm willing to try. And I will not be dry-firing it again.

#11 ·
I have a line on a new firing pin, but must tell the supplier if I have an old model or new model. Any ideas?

Yours is the early Model with no lateral pins, the firing pin is cylindrical on the early model. there is one model with one lateral pin and the late model with two lateral pins and flat firing pin as on your diagramm.

As described by Carguy714, the firing pin removal is similar to that of the Colt 1911.

If you can't depress the firing pin deep enough for its back to clear the thickness of the lock plate in order to push the lock plate out of the slide, the cause may be the broken tip of the firing pin jammed inside and preventing a full forward travel of the pin, and I can't think of a cure for that beside banging the back of the slide on a piece of hard wood or plastic to try to dislodge the culprit, and keep trying until one of you gives up.

Picture of a Mikros with single lateral pîn on slide:

kelt

#9 ·
Try pulling out the old pin and describe it to him, measure it. Maybe buy both on the pre-texted that you will return the one that doesn't fit (agree on this with the supplier first to avoid any problems). Do some research and see if you can determine the age by referencing the serial number to determine which model it is.

Most important I've found that when tearing down anything with small parts or springs, place the pistol inside a large plastic bag. Break it down inside the bag. Too many times I've chased an errant spring that surprisingly shot across the room. When you slide the plate that holds the firing pin inside the slide the firing pin will be under tension be careful as it can shoot out the back and you could lose the spring or worse you could catch it in the eye.

Good luck and be careful.

#12 ·
Kelt

Thank you Kelt. Big help. Now I've got to get that bad boy plate holding the pin in out. Pushing the FP in does not seem to be a problem, however the plate will not budge. I used a screwdriver to try and force it down but no luck. If I introduce a piece of wood into the equation, it may only be to whack myself in the head with...

#15 ·
Mikros

Sometimes it is better to seek professional help (even if it is not as satisfactory as solving a problem oneself...)
Am still waiting for the mail to deliver my Mikros, but it is definitely no way as nice as yours. (see picture)..but I hope to restore it to a somewhat better state...Another subject: I have a very old Unique 6.35 (modelled after the old FN/Browning 1906), that has a problem in ejecting the empty shells (it jams after the second or third shot). When working the slide manually it works fine...Does anybody have an idea what might be wrong?

#16 ·
RickP,
I had the same problem removing the firing pin on my Unique Model D. The design is quite similar.

After much pressing and prying I finally took a hardened steel rod that just fit the hole in the lock plate. I set the slide on a wood block, depressed the fing pin with the steel rod, then rested the other end on another block. When all was in place I tapped down on the rod with a hammer. This unseated the firing pin lock, which I was able to pull out. Note that this will take three or four hands to do.

Robert

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.