Thread: PPS-43 9MM Carbine First Shot

Default PPS-43 9MM Carbine First Shot

Pick up my new PPS-43 and other than a few scratches (one big one) it looks ok.
    The finish could of been better and there is a few bobbles in the weld where they welded the new receiver to the old. You can see the difference in the color in the finish from the old and new. Don't know what the finished it with but it sure scratches off easy.
    Other than that it feels good and functions well.
    The safety is a little hard to move forward into fire. If it doesn't get smoother over time, it may need working on.
    It came with 1 36 rnd mag and I ordered 3 more. They all locked up fine.

Took it to the range and there were no problems with feeding. The only problem was when my son was shooting it he was would bump the mag on the concrete table and that caused a feeding problem. I suspect that it is a user problem not the guns problem. Cleared the jam and it fired every time after.

The manual say to use Federal "White Box" or S&B 9mm ammo and NOT to use surplus or reloads!!!!That will VOID WARRANTY!!!!!

I found one box of S&B and a case of Federal "White Box" 9mm that was marked NATO.
    What is NATO 9mm and how is NATO 9mm different than normal 9mm?
    I shot up the S&B and shot about 200 Fed Nato with no problems so I tried my "EVIL" reloads and they worked fine. This gun will only see reloads for the rest of its life It shot fine and slow and fast fire. The carbine is fun to shoot from the shoulder but it got tiresome over time. As this rifle was once a SBR I suspect the added weight from the barrel makes a difference. This carbine is meant to be shot from the hip, at least thats where the fun begins. I had a steed target at about 30 yrds and it was easy (and FUN) to shoot it from the hip. There is hardly any recoil so you could shoot it all day or at least till your ammo ran out All I need is a sling for it for real hip shooing.

The front sight is over to the right too much and it shows when shooting. At about 30 yrds it shooting to the left a couple inches. At 100 and 150 yrds I have to shoot way to the right to hit the steel target. Once I figured it out I could it the targets at 100 and 150 yrds and that way with heavy wind! I need to find out how to adjust the front sight??? I have never shot a 9mm carbine and was impressed how it shot at 100 and 150 yrds. It is strange to be able to shoot and wait to see it hit the target.
    The rear sight had a flip sight. One marked 10 and the other marked 20. Not sure how that works???

Over all, I am happy with it. I may have it refinished at some time. This gun was a 7.62x25 and was converted to 9mm but Militarily Gun Supply was out of the x25 so I ordered the 9mm version. I reload 9mm so the 9mm would of been my choice anyway. The PPS-43 was so much fun I might just have to buy the PPSh-41 in 7.62x25 so I can have a carbine to shoot instead of waiting for my son to be done shooting the PPS-43
    Last edited by landtoy80; 03-15-2009 at 07:00 AM.

More pic.

nice man, that is a nice looking gun, I would be happy, considering these will be impossible to get soon

9mm NATO is hotter than 9mm Luger. If shots are hitting to the left, move the front sight to the left (assuming it's adjustable). That should help center the front sight.
    HTH

I just need to figure out how the sight moves. I just haven't had time to mess with it.

Great looking gun Congrats :D

I bought the pistol version well over a year ago and finally got to shoot it this past weekend and it functioned flawlessly. Mine is in the 7.62x25. Recoil was light and boy was mine accurate. Finish on mine was pretty nice.
    What has our country become? More takers than givers.

That long ugly barrel just hanging out there..... how does anyone resist the temptation?

Quote Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
    That long ugly barrel just hanging out there..... how does anyone resist the temptation?
    Most of us value our freedom.
    Last edited by Looter; 03-28-2009 at 11:13 AM.

Cool Cool Toy!

Hello Landtoy80. That's a nice looking toy you have there! It sounds like alot of fun. I've been looking for one of the MP 40 replicas but don't really want to shell out 2-3K for it. I'd also be curious how the 7.62 version works with a stock attached. Thanks for sharing.

You'r right Looter. A 20 year game of rock-hockey in the county arena probably isn't worth it. Just dreaming out loud I guess.

A simple SBR permit should do the job...I just don't want the hassle of the "rules of the permit"at this time.

Hi,
    Really glad you like the carbine - a lot of work has gone into the PPS43 project but it has worked out pretty well. The front sight is simply a smooth pin in a tight fitting hole that is adjusted by carefully drifting it from one side to the other with a suitably sized punch. Hope this helps. Rick at SMGGUNS.com

Quote Originally Posted by Smgguns View Post
    Hi,
    Really glad you like the carbine - a lot of work has gone into the PPS43 project but it has worked out pretty well. The front sight is simply a smooth pin in a tight fitting hole that is adjusted by carefully drifting it from one side to the other with a suitably sized punch. Hope this helps. Rick at SMGGUNS.com
    Are you serious?

What do you mean am I serious? About what?

Is the magazine changed in any way to accept 9x19?

Quote Originally Posted by abl View Post
    Is the magazine changed in any way to accept 9x19?

It doesn't look like it. I just got 4 more with a parts kit, I will find out the next day at the range.

As in my other posts, http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=111743 and http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=111791 I had a couple problems with my PPS-43. The first may be a problem with the gun and the second being 100% my problem.

The first was a round going off when the chamber was not fully closed.
    The second is a squib load that caused the barrel to burst. I was shooting reloads.

I do not want this to become a blame the gun builder/seller I just want others to know I had a problem that you should watch out for.

I was shooting the gun yesterday and had a round go off and I got sprayed with burning powder. The lower part if the brass wall blew out. I was not hurt or harmed.
    I had several rounds that jammed when the gun cycled before the problem happened.
    I noticed that the bolt is a little loose/sloppy and was going to send the gun to a gun smith to have him go over and fine tune the gun but I decided to shoot the gun anyways.
    Not knowing how a WW2 sub machine gun cycles, I thought it was normal and it may be.

I will be sending the gun to my gun smith to have him SBR the barrel or replace the barrel and have him go over the gun to see if there is any problems.
    Last edited by landtoy80; 05-16-2009 at 08:42 PM.

Hi Land,
    I hate hearing about the barrel. Reloads can be tough. I would like to suggest sending it back to us if you want the barrel replaced/shortened for an SBR. I will tell you it involves drilling out the rivets that hold the trunnion in and might not be a good job for just anybody - not rocket science by any means but needs to be done correctly. That coupled with the fact there is a method of getting that long carbine barrel in - and out of the reciever. There is barely room to do it and the barrel has to be indexed a certain way or it is not going in or out without damaging something.
    Soo - give me a call or email me at [email protected] and I will work with you on getting it back together right again.

Rick