Thread: 7.62x54r Spam can/crate markings

Default 7.62x54r Spam can/crate markings

Hi, new member and first post. I just received a crate of 7.62x54r that i had purchased as Bulgarian. The last few crates of bulgarian i have seen always had the circle 10 on the crate and the spam cans. This crate has a triangle with a 2 on on and there are no arsenal numbers on the spam cans just powder and cartridge dates. I didnt buy these for immediate use so unfortunatly i haven't opened it to see the headstamps. Any ideas??

Hi and welcome ! i'm guessing you got these from CenterFire Systems ?

thanks, and i actually got them from SOG. It doesnt actually spell out 7.62x54 it has the usual 7.62 cyrilic writing then the symbol for the copper wash case. C12-84 on the left and bt 179 over 82 C on the right. thanks for the fast reply

Probably Soviet. Some of the 1980's vintage cans don't have a factory code on them. My cans of factory code "60" Soviet 54r has the lot number "C17-84" and powder lot "BT 188/83 C". Sounds like your markings layout is the same as mine. Typical markings but without the factory code...

D.D.

Quote Originally Posted by TDRacing13 View Post
    thanks, and i actually got them from SOG. It doesnt actually spell out 7.62x54 it has the usual 7.62 cyrilic writing then the symbol for the copper wash case. C12-84 on the left and bt 179 over 82 C on the right. thanks for the fast reply
    Look at the headstamp on the cases themselves. One should be at 12 o'clock, and one at 6 o'clock.
    If the upper one is 10, it's Bulgarian. If it's 60 or I forget what else, it's Russian.
    If you haven't opened the can yet, look at the last line on it.
    If it says
    440 шт (like this),
    it's Russian. If it says
    440 бр
    then it's Bulgarian.

its definatly russian. just compared it with my bulgarian tins these tins say 440 wt on them and my bulgarian tins say 440 6p. thanks allot for your help.

Check this out for alot of great information on 7,62x54 ammunition identification: http://www.7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmoID.htm.
    Last edited by helpifucan; 03-15-2009 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Wrong information had to be removed.
    NRA Life Member

the circle 10 is bulgarian, partway in the 80s they went from cyrillic to latin letttering, about half of my 5.45 tins have latin lettering, same stuff, just phoenetic spelling.