Gunboards Forums banner

Thompson Center Seneca

34K views 82 replies 27 participants last post by  DK PHILLIPS In Memoriam 
#1 ·
Anyone know what a Thompson Center Seneca 45 in vg condition would sell for these days?

#3 ·
Given the current market for muzzle loaders, I would think anything over $250 for a used one is very optimistic. Unless, of course, it’s a collector piece.

I purchased an un-fired, CVA, .54 Cal, Great Plains for $100 a few months ago. It had been sitting in the gun shop for over two years.

There is an un-fired, CVA Hawkens, at the local shop, for $225. It's been there for at least a year and everyone says they are asking way to much for it.

Bruce

#34 ·
Given the current market for muzzle loaders, I would think anything over $250 for a used one is very optimistic. Unless, of course, it’s a collector piece.

I purchased an un-fired, CVA, .54 Cal, Great Plains for $100 a few months ago. It had been sitting in the gun shop for over two years.

There is an un-fired, CVA Hawkens, at the local shop, for $225. It's been there for at least a year and everyone says they are asking way to much for it.

Bruce
Dude. Nobody is trying to tell you that your rifle isn't accurate, and reliable. I'm sure it is, especially in your skilled hands, with your Eagle eye. I don't even shoot BP anymore, haven't in many years. But I do know, that there is a reason your un-fired rifle, sat unsold for two years. You can't give 'em away. Whenever someone walks into a gunshow with a CVA rifle, he usually leaves with it. Unless it's an in-line. That's what most hunters want. The dealers I know will only allow $30-50.00 trade, if they take it at all. I'm not trying to dog you. But you have turned this whole thing into a battle royal cage match. Other than revolvers, do you see many CVAs at the CAS shoots? You sound like a Liberal Democrat, no facts, just opinions. And you know they say about opinions...

#4 · (Edited)
chlee, a cva is not a thompson seneca. the seneca has not been made for quite a few years due to a bad fire at thompson center and mint rifles have gone for over 400.00. go to any auction site and look up what they are bring. i wish they would have made the seneca and cheerokee in flint lock.take your rifle to any sporting goods store and compare it to any other brand in the store for fit,finish and handleing. i know you will take your rifle home whisling a happy tune. eastbank.

#6 ·
all i say is look at the auctions for cva or tradtions and then look at the thompson centers. i lost a lock screw excrunchion to a tc, one phone call to tc and a 800 number(no charge) and the part was on the way(no charge). a friend fell and broke his tc 50cal. rifle stock clean off at the wrist in deer season a few years back, tc sent him a new factory stock(no metal) but he just put his metal on the new stock(no charge). i,m not saying the other brands will not take care of you if you need service, but i know tc will thru my own dealings with them. by the way if any one has a mint tc seneca or cheerokee in 32-36 or 45cal. i will give 300.00 - 400.00 for it. the only rifle i like as well as my tc,s is a old dixie tenn. poor boy (serial number 11) left hand flint lock 50 cal. eastbank.

#8 ·
a friend fell and broke his tc 50cal. rifle stock clean off at the wrist in deer season a few years back, tc sent him a new factory stock(no metal) but he just put his metal on the new stock(no charge).

by the way if any one has a mint tc seneca or cheerokee in 32-36 or 45cal. i will give 300.00 - 400.00 for it. the only rifle i like as well as my tc,s is a old dixie tenn. poor boy (serial number 11) left hand flint lock 50 cal. eastbank.
So, your saying that either your freind handles his weapons so poorly he managed to break the stock or the stock was of such poor quality it couldn't hold up to normal use.....or both?!?:eek: That's your argument?

Chlee, So, here is the one person that will give you $400 for the Seneca....sell it to him! ;)

Bruce

#9 ·
he fell on the rocks driving for deer and the gun landed on the wrist on a large semi pointed rock. and it broke in two, i don,t know what stock would have stayed in one piece after that fall. and yes i would buy the seneca all he has to to is let me know. eastbank.

#11 ·
surf, i,m not getting into a pissing match with you, but here are two thompson center seneca,s and one cheerokee on sites right now,gunbroker #112403713 start 690.00, auctionarms #8838975 start 475.00,gunsamarica #975862498 599.00. it,s your money,spent it where you want. eastbank.

#13 ·
Well, I hope they can get what they are asking for them. I wouldn't pay it! I would challenge anyone to come out and shoot my CVA, Great Plains and then tell me that a Thompson Center is SOOOOO much better. Quite frankly, I don't see it.

Even the wood on mine seems to be better........:rolleyes: Funny story, though.

Bruce

#19 ·
Yes I can work on them, have built several rifles and pistols over the years.
I'm happy you enjoy your CVA, to me they are still just a starter gun.
Send me some money, I'll be glad to come out and shoot your fine CVA.

#17 ·
i have been shooting black powder since the early 60,s and have close to 20 black powder rifles and shotguns right now,and have killed big game and small game in several states,and shoot in quite a few black powder matches a year. so i know how to shoot and take them apart and clean them. there is nothing wrong with useing cva guns,but thats your choice. here,s a simple test, call cva and order a main spring for your rifle,now wait and see how lone it takes to get it and how much it cost. then call tc and tell them you need a main spring for a halkins 50 cal.,you will have it in a week or less and at no cost. the phone # is 1-603-330-5659 for tc. plus your cva will not hold it,s value over the years as a tc will. a example of this is a patriot 45 cal. tc target pistol i bought new for 139.00 and have used over the years and have taken good care of it, is worth between 225-275 on the used market. after all it,s a personal choice so enjoy your rifle and black powder shooting,i know i have for over 40 years. eastbank.

#21 ·
eastbank, I agree with you, for a production gun, TC wins every time. No use arguing with a "newbie", they know everything and this one actually knows how to take his apart. Gotta give him credit for that... :)

Went through your post and I can't say I saw any where say you shoot. Do you? Or, are you just another internet superstar?

I can be found at my local range (Markley's in Watsonville, Ca 831 722-6945) every Friday afternoon, shooting black powder and introducing others to BP guns. I shoot most local CAS Matches: shooting C&B. I was the ONLY shooter to shoot a clean match on the 6th (Sunnyvale Regulators). And, at this years Adobe Walls shoot, I won the Billy Dixon long range championship (FSS). Not bad for a Newbie, huh?

What did you do in the last month? :rolleyes:Oh yea, post tripe about how good you were.

Bruce

#22 · (Edited)
have a cherokee 45 cal have out shot many of naysayers with in lines.

these were custom shop guns light weight, known for accuracy. and Thomson still works on them! there light weight marvels with no loss in accuracy, will shoot round ball and buffalo bullets at 100 to 150 as good as a center fire. power load i use 125 grains paradox, 285 weigh buffalo bullit, high velocity load, have knocked deer down!:cool:<><dk

#31 ·
Oh, forgot to add: 5'8" tall, 145 pounds, gray hair. :)

Still haven't been able to "Google" anything on you other than the indoor range information. Sounds like a nice place.
Faultline Shootist Society
http://www.faultlineshootistsociety.org/

I'm SASS member 81413 "Fiddler Green".
www.sass.com

The results for the Sunnyvale regulators will be posted on their Yahoo Groups site, soon.

Now, where and when do you shoot? I don't ever see you talking about accutally shooting anything: no contests, no range, no gun info, just snide remarks from someone who's supposed to be a "Moderator". Sad, really.

Bruce

#28 ·
eastbank, you did nothing wrong at all, you posted what in your experience was good, accurate information and I and others agreed with you. Opinions are funny things, everyone has one, we just don't always agree and sometimes people don't understand that. You were right on topic so keep posting.

#30 · (Edited)
Lyman markets the "Great Plains Rifle" in cap and flint. I don't think CVA ever sold anything but a Hawkin wannabe and the locks were made in Spain except for the first year or two. TC rifles have a lifetime warranty (even discontinued models) as does the Lyman. CVA quite selling traditional muzzleloaders a while back. TC sells the Hawkins, Lyman the GPR and CVA sells...well, inlines?

#36 ·
Bruce. In scrolling back I have come to some conclusions. 1) Your the only one that said anything about a superior lock. All anyone else said is that T/C guns had better resale value, and that T/C had better customer service, than CVA 2) As far as shooting abilities, you're confusing facts, with figures. You don't have to go to the range everyday. Belong to multiple shooting organizations. Shoot competition matches, or play cowboys and indians, or Grizzly Adams to shoot well. I'm sure there are many board members, myself included, that practice very seldom, and do most of there shooting while hunting. And still, can shoot the pants off of others who do all of the above. And they don't have to prove it with photos, video, or test scores. If you can prove yours on paper, that's great! My Father in law is a sometimes instructor at Gunsite. Has shot competition. Shoots hundreds of rounds a week at the range. I hardly shoot at all, but shoot as well as he does. Those are the facts. M.P. P.S. The cowboys & indians, and Grizzly Adams statement was not meant as a slur to any members who are members of CAS, SASS, or are Buckskinners. If any of you were offended, my appologies.

#42 ·
Bruce. In scrolling back I have come to some conclusions. 1) Your the only one that said anything about a superior lock. All anyone else said is that T/C guns had better resale value, and that T/C had better customer service, than CVA 2) As far as shooting abilities, you're confusing facts, with figures. You don't have to go to the range everyday. Belong to multiple shooting organizations. Shoot competition matches, or play cowboys and indians, or Grizzly Adams to shoot well. I'm sure there are many board members, myself included, that practice very seldom, and do most of there shooting while hunting. And still, can shoot the pants off of others who do all of the above. And they don't have to prove it with photos, video, or test scores. If you can prove yours on paper, that's great! My Father in law is a sometimes instructor at Gunsite. Has shot competition. Shoots hundreds of rounds a week at the range. I hardly shoot at all, but shoot as well as he does. Those are the facts. M.P. P.S. The cowboys & indians, and Grizzly Adams statement was not meant as a slur to any members who are members of CAS, SASS, or are Buckskinners. If any of you were offended, my appologies.
I never said anything about a “superior lock” What I said was “Personally, I think the lock on the CVA is better than the Thompson. They are both better than the Traditions”. The responses were:

“yep, a cva doesn't compare to the thompson. “

“These are really sweet handling rifles and the quality is so much better than the imports. “ I guess they are implying that the CVA is an import?

“I've owned a lot of muzzleloader's over the years, the Seneca would be first over the CVA any day, just my .02's To each his own.”

Then I posted:

“I would challenge anyone to come out and shoot my CVA, Great Plains and then tell me that a Thompson Center is SOOOOO much better. Quite frankly, I don't see it.”

Then I get:

“My 12 year old son shoots a .50 cal. CVA, it's a good starter gun for him. Someday he'll move up to a T/C, then hopefully to a custom underhammer, which is what I am shooting now. Plus I have several military type muzzleloaders.
Your CVA might be all your looking for in a muzzleloader, myself it's not.
Enjoy your rifle, and shoot it often, I know I will. “

Now, this is down right embarrassing for a guy claiming to be a BP shooter. This indicates that he thinks the .50 Cal. CVA is somehow nothing more then a starter gun for children while the .45 Cal. Seneca is a “Grown-ups gun”. Is this just one of the dumbest things you’ve ever heard, or what?

Then I get this from a guy that has no posts that says he actually shoots anything, anywhere?!? And, this clown is a “Moderator” on this site?

“eastbank, I agree with you, for a production gun, TC wins every time. No use arguing with a "newbie", they know everything and this one actually knows how to take his apart. Gotta give him credit for that...”

And this:

“I'm happy you enjoy your CVA, to me they are still just a starter gun.”

So, my point is that I go out and shoot on a regular basis. Anyone who wants to challenge that (“I'm happy you enjoy your CVA, to me they are still just a starter gun.”) so, I posted where I can be found.

I love the part about your fatuer-in-law, though. So, at least HE shoots! Great, get him on this site...it needs more SHOOTERS! Don't feel bad about the Gunsite thing. I call CAS Co-Ed softball with guns. I've always thought of Gunsite like a baseball fantasy camps with guns. A place for old guys to re-live the youth they never lived in the first place.

“Men stand up, others hide on the internet!”

#37 ·
Bruce, I am quoting you here:

"The "Moderator here" has never even started a thread in this section; all his threads seem to be in the Mauser section. "

If you are referring to me (maybe you are not?), I am the Moderator of the Military Mauser Forum here at Gunboards, NOT here at the Gunboards Black Powder Forum. This Forum's Moderator has not even posted in this thread. You need to read and understand things a little more carefully and be more aware of your surroundings. You have been "off topic" since your first post in this thread, please back off and let it go.

#38 ·
Can't say I know what used TC sells for around here, don't see too many at the pawn shop I hit once in a blue moon.
My perception is more and more hunters use in-lines. They don't do much for me, but to each his own and more power to them. (Anybody who shoots ANYTHING can't be all bad, right?)
Years ago in the 70s I had an Italian repro that I traded for a TC Hawken. I found the Hawken had 2 balls stuck down it and I had to remove the breech plug to get them out. No fault of the gun, but the shooter, but I lost my butt on the trade (my fault, nobody else's) and always regretted it. I gave up black powder for years.
I recently picked up a no-name Italian .54 plain jane with plastic butt plate, wood stock, single trigger. Looked about unfired. Paid $60. (Learned at least here in s.e. Idaho that .54 was far less prevalent than .50. Not really surprised by that, but....) They had a CVA with synthetic stock for $100 but it was rusty on the outside.
Haven't shot the new gun yet, maybe someday. If I just hang it ove the fireplace it costs less than most of the wife's pictures! (I do admit that that black plastic buttplate detracts a bit, but....) I do believe the TC may sell for more used but, on the other hand, it cost more new too. Never figured there was anything wrong with any of them. I figured the gun I got was too good a deal to pass up but never really planned to get back into black powder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.