Gunboards Forums banner

llama 45

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Oldstuffer 
#1 ·
I need a new slide stop for a Llama IX-A 45ACP. Does any standard 1911 slide stop fit/work on this pistol?

#2 ·
I just took the slide stop from my 1918-manufactured 1911 Colt and tried it in my 1997- manufactured .45 Llama Max-1.

I didn't fire the pistol, but as far as fitting, staying out of the way when it is supposed to, and stopping the slide when an empty magazine is in the gun, it worked perfectly.

I'm not sure what the differences are between a Max-1 and a IX-A, but if the IX-A is 'mostly based' upon the 1911 as is the Max-1, as far as the slide stop is concerned, I would expect them to be pretty much the same.

The slide stop on the Max-1 is a bit extended compared to what came on the Colt, and it wouldn't clear the grips on my Colt, though.

#3 ·
how does your llama shoot? I am picking one up from 275, but it needs a new slide stop? I mean obviously it is not a colt or a kimber, but for a truck gun would it work pretty well?

#6 ·
My Max-1 is reliable, and gives me pretty good groups for what is actually about the lowest of the low-end 1911's.

I am REALLY happy with it, and (of the over 40 pistols I own) this is the gun I keep in my nightstand.

Llama was pretty well known for inconsistent production, though. Some of their '1911's' are great, some are a POS.

I am convinced I have one of the good ones.

I will break out my 1911 and my Max-1 again tomorrow, and get a caliper on the shafts to quantify any diameter didfferences.

#4 ·
Yes, and no.

Yes, i've done it.

No, it is an "imperfect" fit. The shaft thru the frame and link is (IIRC) about 10-thou larger on the Llama than on a "standard" 1911. The exact numbers for tghe 1911 are almost 1,000 miles away at home (business trip).

Measure the shaft and holes with a caliper and IIRC again), you will find something like .217" whereas the4 normal 1911 partsw will be .209" (again, memory here)....

#7 ·
Slide Stop Pin measurements taken on my Max-1, my 1911, and an Argentine Model 1927 using a Cen-Tech digital caliper.

Pistol Diameter

Max-1 .2010"
1911 .1985"
1927 .1990"

These readings were taken using the digital caliper with the jaws sitting against the full length of the slide stop pin.

The slide stop pin on the Max-1 is still parkerized over its full length. I can't tell you what will happen to this diameter when the finish eventually wears through.

The 1911 has almost no finish left on its (probably original) slide stop pin, which shows some wear patterns along its length. This is not surprising as this pistol retains only about 40-50% of its original finish.

The 1927 was refinished upon its importation in the early 1970's and the pin still is blued (and smooth) for its entire length.

The largest reading I got trying to measure the diameter of the slide stop hole in the left side of the frame of the Max-1 was .2055", but this was sort of hard to do and I don't know if I trust the results.

The slide stop pin from the Max 1 was a tight fit in the hole on the left side of the 1911 frame, but would NOT pass through the hole on the right side.

Is a difference in slide stop pin diameter of .002" to .0025" going to blow up the gun? I doubt that, but lockup IS going to be a little looser, and the group size may suffer somewhat. If this is a problem, this could be remedied with an oversized barrel link.

#8 ·
I had one similar to a Commander several years ago. I restored it to spec after the previous owner had "improved" it with a FLGR and modified several other parts.
It shot fine, and was reliable. I sold it because it was 1911 #3, and I was getting down to only 1.

My understanding is that the earlier (Stoeger?) imports are a bit "iffy"...the later imports are fine, and usually available very cheap. If I were in the marked for another 1911, I'd certainly take a LLama over several other versions.
Check the m1911.org site...there is a LLama pistol owners forum there. http://forum.m1911.org/forums.php?

mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.