Gunboards Forums banner

EM-GE Mod5 .320-caliber Derringer?

16K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  trotterlg 
#1 ·
I'm not sure where to put this, but this is likely the closest I can find for a forum.

From time to time I see these little derringers marked EM-GE and Cal-.320. I vaguely recall they are from the WWII era.

What can you tell me about them? Do the shoot standard .32ACP or some other kind of ammo? Can anyone confirm or deny the would be C&R eligible?

Thanks all.

#2 ·
# 1296 - EM-GE Derringer
5/25/98
Kristi, Norfolk, Va.
Maker Model Caliber Barrel Length Finish Serial Number EM-GE Mod. 5 .320 1 1/4 blued no serial number This double barrel derringer was taken from a dead German fighter pilot during WWII by a relative. Her surviving widow would like to know the identity of this piece as well as some history and an approximate value. Some one told her it was a gut gun or a suicide gun. Any information would be helpful. Thank-you .

Answer:
Kristi, EM-GE is a Tradename used on firearms manufactured by Moritz & Gerstenberger (before 1939) or Gerstenberger & Eberwein (after 1939) of Gussenstadt, Germany. EM-GE manufactures a line of cheap firearms and starter pistols that were banned from import into the US by the gun control act of 1968. It is very doubtful that this weapon is of military issue, my guess is that it was purchased privately and carried by the pilot as an emergency self defense weapon. Your other source was correct, this is definitely a "suicide gun " or "Saturday night special", value would be in the $50.00 or less range... Marc
http://oldguns.net/q&a5_98.htm
Probably 0.32 Rim Fire, 0.32 Short Colt might work.

Google-Fu to the rescue.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. Valued at around $50 back in 1998, hmm, the one I was looking at is priced a lot more. Thinking I will probably pass in that case.

In the mean time, I did some google-age too and found that the company is still around, but produces signal pistols, etc.: http://www.emge-online.de/allgemein/index2.htm

#6 ·
I saw one on an auction site, and I researched it a bit. It shoots a 320 Lang Knall cartridge, gas (chloroacetophenone) cartridge. At least that is what I found.

#7 ·
I saw one on an auction site, and I researched it a bit. It shoots a 320 Lang Knall cartridge, gas (chloroacetophenone) cartridge. At least that is what I found.
I have one here in my hand. They are well made, I doubt they ever were made to shoot a bullet however. It will perfectly chamber a 32 RF long, but it is set for center fire so would not shoot that. The chambers of mine measure .325 but the muzzel measures .390, I don't know if this is factory or if someone has worked on it for some reason. They are 4.2 inches long and 3.1 inches tall, double action only with a safety. Both bores appear to cut into the cut between barrels for the ejector, so that would also lead me to think these never fired a bullet. Larry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.