Gunboards Forums banner

1889 FN Mauser serial #

3K views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  letronshootit 
#1 ·
Anyone tell me the year of this one? #A3014

#6 ·
John Hall

John, I just looked in the archives at your 1889 collection and that is not what I have. Mine has the provision on the receiver for a handguard like a
Swede, which along with the correct barrel band is missing. So I have a matching #s, minus the above, 28" barrel, FN Herstal on the receiver, walnut stock, A3014 serial#, and a large letter M stamped on the left of the stock by the serial# now what do you think? Ron

#7 · (Edited)
Hi Ron.
I'm puzzled. On the face of it, you have a Mle 1889 Belgium long rifle with a very low serial number which would indicate that it was on of the first rifles made. Since the first 89 was delivered on February 6, 1892, and FN made them at a rate of 100-150 a day, this would mean that yours was likely made in the spring of 1892.

However, something is amiss. A real Mle 1889 long rifle has a barrel 30.6 inches long, no wooden handguard and no large letter stamped below its serial number. Your receiver markings however are correct for the Mle 1889. Can you post some pictures, full length and close-up?

It is possible that you have an FN-made Model 1893 Mauser, which is very close in design to the Swede. Does your rifle have a large box magazine in front of the trigger guard? If not, you have an M1893, not a Mle 1889.
Regards,
John

#10 ·
M1893 Belgian Mauser

Thanks John for all your help, I bought this rifle on a live private auction site from a fuzzy photo. The winning bidder renigged, I got a second chance from the auction house. I plan on selling the gun as my collecter interest is deeply set on Swedish and Swiss service rifles. I will look for a walnut handguard, I have a barrel band, swede in origin but at least it would fit, better than none at all. Maybe Numrich would have something. thanks again Ron Smith

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.