Gunboards Forums banner

So I am thinking of getting a cz82. Pros and Cons please!

4K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  Mac's 
#1 ·
So,

I think I am buying me a cz82 in 9x18 makarov. What is the good and the bad about these pistols? Your opinions please?

It is in great condition with two mags.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

#4 ·
The good: Its an inexpensive, accurate, and easy to shoot pistol.

The bad: The painted finsih does not hold up well and is difficult to properly touch-up, the construction is rather complicated, surplus parts are hard to obtain (new CZ83 parts are available from CZUSA), and magazines are expensive.

If you like former com-bloc military pistols, you should get one while thay are still cheap; just look at the increases in the price of Makarovs over the past several years.

#6 ·
Mostly Pros......Reliable, modern design, Hi Capacity but not bulky. And yes, Poly barrels can shoot hard cast bullets just fine (and are very accurate)

The only Con I can think of is that it is somewhat complicated and it will take you a while to give it a trigger job (if your a trigger snob and a DIY "gunsmith").

Or you can just shoot it a lot and love it..........It's a must have for a 9x18 junkie.

#7 ·
Good: high cap, real sights, new parts are available, great trigger, reliable proven design (apparently some czech units still are issued them), drop safe, ambidexterous. Just great shooters.

Cons: the finish flakes if you look at it funny, and it's a royal pain to detail strip

Next to a Makarov, the CZ-82 is THE 9x18 pistol to own. If you could only own one 9x18 pistol, I'd say make it a Mak, but if you could only own two, I'd say make the second one a CZ-82.

#8 ·
They are excellent pistols, rugged and reliable. I cleaned off two (2) and Blued them, they came out great.

#9 ·
It's among the best if not the best compact guns for the money if you're willing to accept limitations of the 9x18 cartridge. I has many parts so don't strip down to more components then needed unless you want to take zippy baggie:p to gunsmith for reassembly.

#10 ·
I have 2 of 'em. They do have better sights, and feel better in my hand than a Mak, but I find the Mak is more comfortable to shoot (a lot - I usually do 100-200 rounds per range visit) for reasons I can't quite figure out. Both my 82s have trigger slap, which I also find uncomfortable.

The CZs are indeed devilishly complex to fully strip and reassemble - I did it to one of mine to replace a spring that I thought might fix a trigger problem I was having, and it took about 4 hours despite having complete illustrated instructions. The spring didn't fix the problem, and I will NOT go through the disassembly process again - probably will cut the gun up with an acetylene torch, just to see how hard it is to do. I'll keep the other one running with occasional hosing of the innards with Gunscrubber and then CLP, and hope nothing breaks.

#11 ·
The good:
- possibly the best left handed gun in existence. Or tied with one or 2 similar models.
- shoots cheap ammo (9x18)
- is inexpensive
- is accurate
- is reliable, rugged, etc

the bad:
-- too big for the caliber (you can get a good 9mm in as small or smaller gun)
-- too complicated (it has way too many parts and pieces)
-- too fat to carry easily, at least for me.
-- cocked & locked safety did not impress me as a sane way to carry this gun
-- recoil is a bit stronger than PM or other 9x18s, or so it seemed to me

all in all:
a very nice pistol, and again, if you are a lefty, it is one of the top choices you can make. I just like my makarov better, so I quickly tired of the cz after the 'new toy' feeling wore off and eventually sold it.

#12 ·
I liked mine but sold it because I prefer to Dunk-clean my guns after shooting and every time I would remove the grips, some darn pin would fall out. And if I didn't hold the internals in place real fast, it was a bugger to get back together. I didn't think parts should fall out just from removing the grips. Others had the same problem. I still have my Bulgy MAK but my CCW is a Charter Arms .44 Bulldog.

Attachments

#14 ·
The advantage of 9x18Mak is you don't have to dig through pile of ammo boxes to choose a load which is real problem with something like 9x19. Who wants to shop in ammo "cereal isle"?:p It's just like with my beloved 10x25mm LGS carries couple different Hornady JHP loads. I'm truly blessed, oh la, la.

#19 ·
I have several 9X18s, and while the PA-63 is my favorite for concealed carry, The CZ-82 is by far the most pleasant to shoot. A little thicker than the PA-63 for carry, but is higher capacity. Depending on how you dress, it could be a good trade-off.
My CZ has never had any issues, and while not a target pistol, has been quite accurate.
Also, if youe left handed, as I am. The CZ-82 is a good pick. They are very lefty friendly.

#22 ·
It's a pretty decently built pistol. The mag release and safety are both ambi-D so it's good for lefties or weak hand drills. The sites are replaceable and there are Tritium sites available. It's a double stack mag so it is a little thicker than single stackers but it does offer higher capacity. Yes, the pins can fall out when you remove the grip panels but there's an easy fix for that. (Just don't get caught!) Sneak into your Lady's make up stuff and "borrow" a bottle of nail polish. Clean the end of the pin area and put a dab of polish on it. Let it dry before re-installing the grip panels. Yes, you can use LockTite but the nail polish is easier to chip off when you need to remove the pins.
Yes, it's fairly complicated to reassemble from a full disassembly. It's like one of those wooden puzzles: The parts have to go back in in the correct order or you'll spend hours working on it. For example: Put the slide lock spring in BEFORE you install the trigger guard. And: Slide the hammer into place but don't put the pin in yet. Slide it all of the way rearwards. Install the sear, then install the trigger bar, then install the hammer pin, then install the sear spring.
Overall, I like the CZ82's. They fit my hand better than most pistols that size, they're reliable, they're pretty accurate and they're easy to field strip. What more can you ask of a pistol?
Yes, the finish on them leaves a lot to be desired. But, that's a GOOD THING as far as i'm concerned. After all, we're a firearms refinishing shop. If all firearms had great finishes that didn't rust, chip, wear off, peel, etc., we'd be out of business! Keep yer powder dry, Mac.
Tuff-Gun Finishes. The Name Says It All.
Mac's Shootin' Irons
http://www.shootiniron.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.