Gunboards Forums banner

Light primer strikes when decocking Makarov, is this normal?

5K views 36 replies 13 participants last post by  TENNESSEEAN 
#1 ·
I picked my Bulgarian up 2 days ago. It functions perfectly and groups very well, and is a superb firearm in general.

I have noticed on several different brands, Buffalo Bore, Corbon, Bernaul, CCI Blazer, and Hornady Critical Defense that chambering a round and decocking the pistol leaves a light primer strike on the primer.

Is this normal? I tested this repeatedly (even on the same round) and couldn't get it to accidentally discharge, but I am still concerned.

If this is common knowledge, yes, I did search but didn't find anything. Here is a picture:

See less See more
#2 ·
Because it's a free-floating firing pin (without a spring) the weight of the FP hitting the primer can leave a little dent like you see. There isn't enough energy there to crush the cap. These pistols have passed the California drop tests and other extreme drop tests performed by forum members. So yes it's normal and not to be concerned about.

#3 ·
Thanks, I figured it had something to do with the free float firing pin, but the peace of mind of someone reinforcing that is what I needed. All my pistols are DA/SA and none leave the mark so it was a little out of the norm. Thank you for clarifying. I like this place already!

#7 ·
Excuse my ignorance, but am I incorrect in assuming the firing pin can only contact the primer when the trigger is in it's rearmost position? I'm just confused as to why the firing pin is even capable of making a mark in the primer while being decocked
The Makarov does not have a firing pin block.

Unload your Makarov. Engage the safety and jerk the gun forwards and backwards. You should hear the firing pin slide forward and backward.

When you decock the hammer there is a hammer block so the hammer should NOT be hitting the firing pin.

#14 ·
Mine shakes and rattles and rocks and rolls. :)

To clarify (now that I know what is causing it), mine pin rattles around nice and freely, and the indentation is caused by using the slide stop/release to chamber a round, or pulling the slide back and releasing. It is not from decocking. I verified this by gently racking the slide and then decocking, no dimple.

Thanks for setting me straight the first time, Bender.

I understand what you're saying, not trying to argue. I've got at least 16 unfired rounds I had through mine and none have any dings on them.

On the other hand, maybe yours has a stronger recoil spring (or mine's worn out) and it just snaps back harder? :?

The cartridge is chewed up from being chambered several times to see if it would discharge (in a safe location, of course). It'll be a range round, not a carry round.
I didn't think about it when I first said that, but aren't the CCI aluminum? Probably more prone to that appearance than the steel cases I am used to.

#12 ·
To clarify (now that I know what is causing it), mine pin rattles around nice and freely, and the indentation is caused by using the slide stop/release to chamber a round, or pulling the slide back and releasing. It is not from decocking. I verified this by gently racking the slide and then decocking, no dimple.

Thanks for setting me straight the first time, Bender.

#16 ·
Ooof. The original poster's photo of his cartridge is kind of scary to me. That is a pretty big dent. Is anyone aware of another type of semi-automatic pistol that could dent a primer like that during normal non-firing operation? I checked one of my two East Germans, and yes, I did get an occasional very light mark on the primer. Not a crater like the OP's though. Does anyone know if this degree of primer denting occur during the official or unofficial drop tests?

#17 · (Edited)
We know it happens each time a round is stripped from the mag and fed into the chamber. So we also know that it's not a problem because if it were, there would be reports of slamfires and runaway, full-auto incidents.

We know Makarovs have been subjected to the California-mandated drop test and passed

Drop a Tokarev or an older Star semiautomatic hard enough with the hammer down and a live round in the chamber and they will not only leave a mark on the primer, they can also discharge. B/c they lack a FP safety.

#18 ·
I think the picture makes the dent look worse than it is. Not to mention, the one in the photo was chambered repeatedly to see if it would fire, and it didn't. That photo is after being in a magazine 5 times and having the slide slam the round into the chamber 5 times. CCI supposedly has harder primers, so I tried it with a few other brands, none of them I could get to accidentally discharge (I was doing this outside, in a safe, controlled manner.)

I have just vowed to only carefully let the slide forward when loading it for carry, I trust it and am not worried about it.

#20 ·
The way it was explained to me, milspec primers aren't harder. They just use a less-sensitive priming compound.

Back when SKS carbines were relatively new in the US, there were sometimes slam-fire issues. Commercial 7.62x39 ammo loaded in the USA at that time didn't have milspec primers.

Makarovs have never has any issues, that I know of, with sensitive primers getting touched off.

Alum.-cased rounds are not recommended in the Mak.

#22 ·
The story I've read is that a Mak has to fall about 20 feet, and land on its muzzle with the barrel pointing straight up, before there is enough energy in the free floating firing pin to set off a primer. If the barrel is off vertical, it has to fall even further. Anything less and the primer won't go off (presumably, no matter how big a dent the firing pin may leave.)

#24 ·
The story I've read is that a Mak has to fall about 20 feet, and land on its muzzle with the barrel pointing straight up, before there is enough energy in the free floating firing pin to set off a primer. If the barrel is off vertical, it has to fall even further. Anything less and the primer won't go off (presumably, no matter how big a dent the firing pin may leave.)
What's the source of this story?:?

#28 ·
I just checked the chambered round in one of my EG's and there was an ever so slight mark on the primer, no where near as defined as the OP pic. I would be concerned with a dimple that big.

It looks to be commercial CCI ammo and mine is brown bear 95gr. ball ammo. Is there a difference in the hardness of one primer over another?

Bill

#32 ·
?
The round in the picture looks as if it has been cycled more than a few times, maybe 5 or 6 ?
Was the round placed in the chamber and the slide dropped on it or was the round in a magazine and chambered by the slide ?

View attachment 511172
No attitude intended, but I posted this a few posts about your reply

I think the picture makes the dent look worse than it is. Not to mention, the one in the photo was chambered repeatedly to see if it would fire, and it didn't. That photo is after being in a magazine 5 times and having the slide slam the round into the chamber 5 times. CCI supposedly has harder primers, so I tried it with a few other brands, none of them I could get to accidentally discharge (I was doing this outside, in a safe, controlled manner.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.