Gunboards Forums banner

mosin rear sight scope mount

13K views 44 replies 20 participants last post by  falm16 
#1 ·
Anyone mount a scope mount on the rear sight and actually have it be solid and secure? I did one and it moves all over the place.

#3 ·
If you remove the rear sight base you can attach 3/8 groove scope rings , like the one's that are used for 22's or air guns , to the metal base. I would suggest using the "high" scope rings so that your scope will clear the handguard.

#4 ·
I have a cheap one on a 91/30. It uses the pin through the sight base and then a screw down through the mount to 'firm' it up.

I have an inexpensive pistol scope on it.

The barrel has worn rifling and with surplus ammo I can hit gallon milk jugs on the 140 yard range, the longest distance at our club.

I have not had to rezero it in the 3 years it has been on with probably 200 rounds through it.

#5 ·
I'm doing research for my mounting options and from what the interwebs tells me the best two options are Darrell's Scout Mount and S&K Mosin mounts. Most of the sub $50 mounts only have one REAL point of contact and lose zero like its cool. Darrell's uses 4 brass setcrews that hold tension to the outside of the rear sight fixture and cause little to no scaring. I want to say that S&K uses the leaf sights front pin and has a tension screw in the middle that holds to the insides of the rear sight frame. I'll put the links below. There are also TONS of others that require drilling ant tapping but if your like me your not willing to ruin the historical value of these little beauties.

Darrell's (I emailed him to get on his waiting list)
http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirear...Ordering-Information-and-Current-Availibility

S&K
http://www.thecountryshed.com/s&k_scope_mounts.htm

#7 ·
Use a spare rear sight you do not might modifying, and mount it up side down. Remove metal until it sits level. Mount any flat based Weaver scope mount with screws, JB Weld, epoxy, or Accraglas. To anchor it, the easiest way is to leave a screw long enough to almost bottom out on the barrel and use JB weld or some epoxy inside the base to engage the screw. That should keep it honest.

#10 ·
Just installed this one tonight, and it's really solid. I'll try to shoot it this weekend and get back with you. In the meantime, a guy on YouTube called nutnfancy has used this mount extensively to good effect.

#13 ·
ok kiddies..i have been there and done that..most of the products listed.....
go here
scopemounts.com
home of s&k scope mounts...
these are not cheap..but they are STEEL and they do not move...
amd they do not mark like the brass screw clamp design.
pay once and don't look back

mike in co

i have them on a swede, and a m39 and a 91/30..and

#14 ·
The rear sight scope mount was on a rifle someone brought over to my house to work on.
I took it off and tossed it on the bone pile.
It is anodized Aluminum with a Weaver rail top, that could be milled into a real scope mount for something else, maybe.

http://www.amazon.com/Sports-Mosin-Nagant-Scope-Mount/dp/B000R7872Y

I would use the ATI or Rocksolid mount instead, but it requires drilling and tapping:
http://www.amazon.com/ATI-Mosin-Nagant-Scope-Mount/dp/B005MR66WC/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods

http://www.rocksolidind.com/mosin-nagant.html

Attachments

#19 ·
i have several of the oem side sniper scope mounts, both with thte fixed rings and one with a weaver rail. lots of work but in the end look great. cannot find the mounts at a reasonable cost anymore.

i shoot all lapua brass in my mn's all hand loads..no milsurplus.....so i look at thing a little different than some of you.

i shoot in 100 and 200 yd competiton.....

we shoot iron sight most of the time but run two "sniper" matches where 4x scopes are allowed.

i won the last match with a 200-6x...alass with a fn israile 7.62x51 built in 57...not a conversion from 8mm , but built new in 7.62...

mike in co

#23 ·
sorry but just another variation on a hose clamp.
bump the scope and the sheet metal will spring and you no longer have a zero....
still looking but so far the s&k mounts are the best....of the rear sight mounts....
still want to put a rear mount/conventional scope on my rifle...my no collector value sporter.....

mike in co

#24 ·
This guy puts 22 rim fire rings on the rear sight dovetail, and gets a scout type mount.
I would not do that.
I don't like 22 rings.
I don't like scout scope position.

But he got 40,000 hits.
I imagine I could get 1,000,000 hits if I recorded my daughter in a swim suit shooting an AK47.
But in reality all I get is a few hundred hits showing how to weld and mill on a Mosin Nagant to make a great mount.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEyS9Q_u10I

Attachments

#30 · (Edited)
This is my video. Looks like I'm not too far from you either. The only reason you MUST use .22 style scope rings if you do this type of mount, is because the dovetail beneath the rear sight when removed, is only 3/8" wide. If it were wide enough to use standard sized bases and rings, then obviously it would be the most prudent course of action. I did not want to make a permanent modification, so this was the best way to do so without drilling and tapping and having to bend the bolt handle. Here is an updated video to this, I will be shooting the updated version tomorrow.

A full length base that would run the entire length of the dovetail may also work, and an area be filed or notched out to ensure the mount doesn't do any sliding on the dovetail as well as demonstrated in this latest video. I have been trying to find a post where a fella used some 3/8" bases that go to weaver adapters on them. Something like this for example:

http://www.amazon.com/BKL-Dovetail-Weaver-Adapter-Matte/dp/B0036JV8Z8

But this is only a suggestion for those that want to mount a scout scope set up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZrsCx8XYbA&list=UU2LQgxlEa-fntojaQGPi0Lg&index=1&feature=plcp

#26 ·
i think i have a plan..thinking can be dangerous...
use a sk mount at the rear sight.
drill and tap the frt of the reciever for a simple weaver mount.
shim the weaver mount to match the sk mount.
and then add a rail to those mounts to push the actual rear scope mount back....
like a jp long range mount or a ggg rail....

only time will tell
mike in co

#28 ·
Cool it, ar10ar15.

McKenzie, I got a chance to test my brass stacker mount today, and it came through. I know for a fact that the rifle is poorly bedded, and I still squeezed some 1 1/2" groups out of it, and those groups were with surplus ammo. I also tested their front sight band (allows you to reinstall your front sight on a barrel that you've shortened.)

I might add that the brass stacker mount was installed on an 18" barreled Mosin, which gives up some pretty hellacious recoil. Took about 10 rounds to get things where I wanted them, and after that, the only point of impact shift I experienced was due to ammo change (went from Brown Bear 203 gr. SP to 147 gr. Russian surplus, so POI shifted up about 6"). Fired a total of 60 rounds.

:thumbsup: for brass stacker!

#31 ·
It seems like you are a nice guy and resourceful.
I feel like a real a$$ now, for publicly envying your 40,000 hits.

I have 7,000 hits on a video of me and my brother killing a spider.
But not much attention to videos when I show how to make real improvements to Leupold Zero Point or a Sinclair concentricity gauge.

#37 ·
if you insist on trying to prove a point, get some proof.
buy the s&K mount and shoot it on the same gun...then you have side by side testing that it is as good, maybe better.
its kinda hard to use one product and claim nothing is better or that it is as good as product x, if you did not use product x.
i pointed out what i did not like about the other mount..my opinion.
my opinon of the s&k pounts is based on testing of other inferior products.
i'm glad you like your mount that is how life should be.....happy with what one has.
mike in co

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.