Gunboards Forums banner

PU scope mounts and Modern Scopes

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  milprileb 
#1 ·
I was just poking around an ebay and I noticed I could get a reproduction mount for like $30. I was thinking that would be cool to put a modern scope into. I like shooting mine, but I do also have some REALLY nice scopes that I have been using on things that don't take full advantage, like a SKS or an M1 carbine or a Mini 30. The idea of being able to pop a modern scope on without any changes to the rifle is kind of enticing me. I tried taking some of the rings off my scopes and seeing how they fit around the PU, and it seems the PU is much thicker. It makes me think maybe this wouldn't work, or maybe I'd have to find a scope that would fit. If that's the deal, I will probably abandon the idea. Has anyone tried this? Is it just a pipe dream?

#3 ·
Kalinka makes rings to fit some modern scopes into PU rings.
I think the $30 mount is really for SKSs -I bought one and it is way to high for reasonable Mosin use, if you are looking at what I saw.
It does hold a modern scope in a PU, which, sadly, made no improvements over the 1 1/4 MOA I can do on a good day with a PU and good ammo.

#4 ·
There is also a few steel side mounts for an AK that fits the PU. Most are for standard 1" Also way too high unless you have Giraffe DNA. Shame cause they are really high quality but have 2 lightening holes. Was thinking about cutting one in half (to "one Hole Height") and fitting to a junker 91/30 with a plastic stock

#6 ·
I bought one of these Accumounts with 1" rings to try a 24X scope on my Sniper. I find you will have some difficulty adjusting the staked mount adjustment screws to get your scope where you need it to be vertically in it's range. Also left/right can be an issue, depending on your individual rifle/mount. Just remember that both the mount and the scope may need adjusted each time you go back and forth between mounts/scopes.

Heavy recoil of a 30 cal can be death to a scope that is not operating in it's correct adjustment range. For me it turned out to be more trouble than it was worth as I felt I would need to remove the staking for the mount adjustment screws in order to effectively change back and forth between original and modern scopes. I went back to using just the original scope.

Les

#9 ·
I have a mount I picked up a couple of years ago that puts a picketinny rail right on top of the normal plate the PU mounts fits into. It makes any modern scope fit right in place and I am sure it is a well made repro so they have to be around out there someplace. I think I gave maybe $30 for it and I have used it with a Bushnell scope I have it works pretty good with just surplus ammo. Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.