Gunboards Forums banner

Great War Collection

91K views 80 replies 34 participants last post by  tplan 
#1 · (Edited)
Central Powers:

Austria-Hungary (1)

-M.95 Mannlicher, Steyr, 1917. Originally in 8x50R Mannlicher. This one was converted postwar to 8x56R. Has a canvas sling & the Austrian rod rifle grenade w/friction pull primer. Below it is an OEWG marked M.95 bayonet & scabbard & an FGGY bayonet/scabbard. Just below the rifle grenade is the special 8x50R blank used for firing that grenade. Below the blank is a clip of WWI dated 8x50R ball.
-M.88/90 Mannlicher, Steyr, 1890, cal. 8x50R. Rear sight sideplates are FGGY marked.
-M.90 Mannlicher, receiver marked Steyr, barrel proofed budapest, 1894. M.88 bayonet above, scabbard & frog beleow.
-M1891 Mosin-Nagant, Tula, 1915, cal. 7.62x54R. That description should tell you this is a cheat. While the action is not from an Austrian conversion, the stock is. It is dated 1890-something (can't make out the last number) & has the Austrian wire swivels. Also has a hole in the bottom of the butt for the screw-in type Austrian swivel, and is marked W on the top of the butt & A on the right side. That's probably as close as I'll ever come to an Austrian M-N conversion.

Handguns:
-M1898 revolver, Rast & Gasser, Vienna, 1916, cal. 8mm Gasser. 8 shot, the most wonderfully gawky & mechanical pistol I've handled.
-M1912 Steyr-Hahn, Steyr, 1914, cal. 9x21.

Helmets from left to right:
-The Austo-Hungarian version of the German M16 helmet, painted in the Austrian brown color with cloth chinstrap.
-German-type Austro-Hungarian helmet with Berndorfer style liner. Sometimes incorrectly called the Hungarian M17 or M18 by collectors. Note the lack of large rivets for the liner in front of the vent lugs as on the helmet to the left.
-Berndorfer helmet. About 130,000 of these were made before the Austrians changed to making the German style of helmet. This is the more common type of Berndorfer. A second style, closer in shape to the German helmet, but with the crown vent of this helmet also exists, but is quite rare.

Hand grenades, left to right:
-Zeitzunder or 'Guguruz' hand grenade with friction pull fuse. The cast iron fragmentation section interchanges with the rifle grenade up top.
-Austro-hungarian stick grenade.
-Lakos grenade.
-Austrian universal grenade, with metal cap next to it. Could be used as a hand or rifle grenade, has alternate fusing sytems, & a lot of parts for a very little explosive payload.
-M16 Cigaro grenade, with one half of the butterfly shell open.
-two different types of Schwergranate frag grenades.

Austria-Hungary (2)

-M.95 Mannlicher carbine, Steyr, 1917, cal. 8x50R. Except for the blued bolt, this one seems pretty original. Has the stutzen type front band with bayonet lug & stacking hook, & screw head on the left side of the rifle. Below is a M.95 carbine bayonet w. scabbard/frog.
-M.95 carbine, Budapest, 1912, cal. 8x50R. This is the M.95 cavalry carbine with the front band fitted with a bayonet lug.
-M.90 cavalry carbine, Steyr, cal. 8x50R. Has no barrel date, and circle T firing proofs. This may have been a Bulgarian contract carbine or one of those made for commercial sale to other militaries. With a very old leather sling.
-M.90 Extra-Korps Gewehr, cal. 8x50R, Steyr, barrel date 1902. Missing rear sling swivel.

-Kugel rohr granate, with original cardboard handle.
-Rohr granate with cylindrical head. Has reproduction cardboard handle & label.

-10cm base-fused HE shell with separate loading shell case.
-8cm shrapnel shell.

Germany (1)

-Gewehr 98, DWM 1915, cal.7,9x57. Repro sling, 98/05 bayonet, scabbard & frog below.
-Kar. 98a, Erfurt, 1916. Below is unit marked 84/98 bayo. w. iron mounted leather scabbard.
-To the right of the Kar. 98a, stripper clip of 1918 dated 7,9x57 spitzer ammo above a clip for the Gew. 88 with 1902 dated round nose 7,9x57.
-Gew. 88, Spandau 1889, cal. 7,9x57. S marked, no overt signs of Turkish use.
-Gew.88/05, Steyr, 1890, cal. 7,9x57. Czech made Turkish bolt, repro sling, M71/84 bayonet by OEWG With scabbard above
-Gew. 91, Erfurt 1893, cal. 7,9x57. Has a cartridge case stuck in the chamber that I haven't gotten around to yet, hence the open bolt.

-Mauser C96 pistol, Mauser Oberndorf, cal. 7.63x25. Wartime military accepted commercial style pistol.
-Pistol-08 (Luger), DWM, 1914, cal. 9x19.

-Below the pistols, Model 1914 n/A ball hand grenade & Model 1917 'egg' grenade.
-To the right of the Luger, Stiehlhandgrantaen (stick grenades), model 1915, 1916 & 1917.

Germany (2)

-Infanterie Gewehr 71, Gebruder Mauser, Oberndorf a/Neckar, 1877, cal. 11x60R Mauser. Part of the Mauser order made for Wurtemburg. 1884 dated 11x60R round below.
-Mosin-Nagant M1891, Chatellerault, France, 1895, cal. 7.62x54R. The sharp eyed will note that this rifle has a Finnish stock & sling. It is also fitted with the German bayonet adapter for this rifle as used in WWI. 1918 dated m84/98 bayonet & scabbard below. Also my only German manufactured round of 7.62x54R ammunition below, made by Polte in Magdeburg in 1917.

-To the left is a 2cm Becker round. The Becker was developed for use on zeppelins. While it saw limited use in the air, it was used as a ground based anti-aircraft cannon. Dated 1918.
-M16 Stahlhelm with fitted hessian cover.
-M16 Stahlhelm shell, camo painted, with large, compression type fracture on the top.
-M18 Stahlhelm.

-7,7cm shrapnel shell with its separate loading shell case.
-10,5 cm shrapnel round

Bulgaria/Ottoman Empire (Turkey)

-M.95 Mannlicher, Steyr, 1903, cal. 8x50R. Bulgarian contract with Lion crest & vent hole in bolt. NCO bayonet below it is not Bulgarian marked, but I bought it from someone in Bulgaria, so it goes here for now.
-M.88/90 Mannlicher, Steyr, 1888-90, cal. 8x50R. Bulgarian contract, with Bulgarian modified rear sight side plates.
-M1903 Mauser, Mauser Oberndorf, 1909, cal. 7.65x53. John Wall told me a few years ago that this was from the Turkish Macedonian Gendermerie contract. 1913 dated Turkish 7.65x53 spitzer round & M1903 bayonet below.
-M1893 Mauser, Mauser Oberndorf, 1894-95, cal. 7.65x53. Original condition Turkish M93 with original looking sling. M1890 bayonet & scabbard below, 1893 dated Turkish round nose 7.65x53 round above.

-M1887 Mauser, Mauser Oberndorf, 1889-90, cal. 9.5x60R. Last Mauser military black powder design. My only round of 9.5mm Turkish ammo, dated 1892, is above it.

-Turkish model 2 grenade, with lead transit plug still in place, together with reproduction brass fuse supplied by board member Gustaf B. Thanks!
-Turkish 75mm shrapnel round.
-FN Browning Model 1903, cal. 9mm Browning Long. Ottoman contract marked.
-Turkish cut down visor stahlhelm. Made from a cut-down German M16. these were the first type issued. There was also a version based on the m18, made with a rolled rim.

Allies:

Serbia/Montenegro/Russia

-76.2mm shrapnel round for Russian field gun. Case dated 1907.

-M1910 Mauser, Mauser Oberndorf, Germany 1910-1912, cal. 7x57. Commercially marked model 1910 with Serbian proofs. In very rough shape, but I have searched long & hard for any Serbian WWI configuration rifle.
-M-1891 Mosin-Nagant, 1917 Tula Peter the Great marked, mismatched but markings intact, no importer marks or importer serial #. No evident Balkan or Finn markings.
-Remington bayonet for same.
-M1907 Mosin-Nagant cavalry carbine, Izhevsk 1912. Stock well sanded but all matching.
-M1895 Winchester, Russian contract. Not Spanish marked, came to me with two rounds of Finnish 7.62x54R in the butt trap, not that that signifies, but it was a nice surprise.
-M1891 M-N, Tula 1899, Balkan import, Romanov birds more or less intact. Has the eagle over HI mark on the left side of chamber & receiver. Was sold to me as a Montenegrin rifle. Marks had fresh looking white goo in them when the rifle arrived. Goo obscured the markings, so was removed, revealing equally fresh looking marks stamped in the metal. Doesn't really resemble the pictures of JPS's I've seen, either. Long description, but that's to say that I have my doubts, but it's my Montenegrin until something better comes along.
-Another Remgton marked M1891 bayonet.

-M1895 Nagant revolver, 1913. Arsenal marks removed, but still has the old front sight.
-M1911 Colt, caL. .45acp, commercial pistol with English Contract mark in Cyrillic on left side of frame, refinished.

-Serbian Adrian helmet, fairly rare, made in France.
-Russian made 'Izhora' helmet. Would have been painted green originally. This example was captured by the Austro-Hungarians, who repainted it & replaced the liner & chinstrap, then reissued it to their own reserve troops. Russian, as opposed to Finnish made shels of this type are quite scarce.
-Russian Adrian helmet, like the Serbian helmet , made in France.

Romania

-Md. 1892 Romanian Mannlicher. Steyr 1893, cal. 6.5x53R. Cleaning rod is mismatched but otherwise very nice. Bolt is Belgian marked in addition to Steyr marked. Bayonet scabbard & frog below.
-Md. 1893 Romanian Mannlicher. Steyr 1897, cal. 6.5x53R. Serial # 33! In remarkable shape. I don't believe it was ever accepted by the Romanians; there is no crown above the model designation on the receiver. Bayonet & scabbard below.
-Md. 1893 Romanian Mannlicher cavalry carbine. Steyr 1894, cal. 6.5x53R. Rear sight graduated to 1800 meters.
-Md 1893 Romanian Mannlicher cavalry carbine. Steyr, 1914, cal. 6.5x53R. Rear sight graduated to 2000 meters.
-The only round of Romanian contract 6.5x53R ammunition I have. Dated 1912, made by Hirtenberger.

-Md 1912 Romanian contract Steyr Hahn pistol, cal. 9x21 Steyr, 1913.
-Shell of Romanian 'Adrian' helmet with crest of King Ferdinand I.

France (1)

-Mle 1886 M.93 'Lebel', cal. 8x50R, Manufacture d'armes de Châtellerault (MAC) 1889. World's first smokeless powder military rifle. Above it is the early version of the Mle1886 bayonet 'Rosalie', with German silver hilt and quillion, below is the later version, with brass hilt & no quillion.
-Mle 1907/15 'Berthier', cal. 8x50R, MAC, 1915. Early version of the 07/15 with bent bolt handle. Below is a three shot clip of WWI dated 8x50R.
-Mle 1907/15 'Berthier', cal. 8x50R, Delaunay Bellville, 1917. Delaunay Belleville was a well known automobile manufacturer in France at the time.
-Mle 1890, MAC 1890, cal. 8x50R. This was the first weapon of the 'Berthier' type. The 1890 cavalry carbine came in two styles (maybe more, ask those who know on the French forum to be sure), the other version had a different type of stock for the Cuirassiers. As a cavalry carbine it takes no bayonet. To the right of the mle 1890 is a 37x94R HE round, dated 1918. These were used by the French in infantry guns, tanks and some aircraft uses. This round was used by most of the warring nations on both sides in some form.
-Mle 1892, Manufacture d'armes de Saint-Étienne (MAS) 1892, cal. 8x50R. This modification of the Mle1890 to take a bayonet was for artilleryman, fortress troops, and anyone else who needed a rifle but not an infantry rifle. This one escaped the modifications made after the war to most of these, and still has provision for its cleaning rod. This cleaning rod is a repro. Above is the earlier version of the Mle1892 bayonet, with a rubberized composite handle, together with its scabbard & frog, below is the later version of the bayonet with the wooden handle.
-Mle M.16, MAC 1918. The Berthiers were modified to take five shot clips, resulting in the extended magazine you see here. That was the modification M. 16. This rifle was assembled at Chatellerault, but the receiver was made at the Etts. Continsouza, who were manufacturers of motion picture cameras and equipment. Below is a five round clip of WWI dated 8x50R.

Below the M.16 from left to right:
-Holster for the Savage M1907.
-Mle 1873 revolver, Cal. 11mm, MAS 1883. Double-action revolver, which came out in the same year as the Colt SAA. Nice handling revolver. Below it is a 1905 dated 11x17R round.
-Savage Model 1907, Savage Arms Company, Utica, NY., 1916, cal. 7.65mm Browning/.32 ACP. This is a French military contract pistol, with lanyard loop on the heel of the butt.
-Mle 1892 revolver, cal. 8mm, MAS 1896. Has a loading gate, but also a cylinder which swings out to the right, for cavalry use. This one is naval marked. With holster.
-Mle 15 Adrian helmet. This helmet bears the standard flaming bomb with RF of the French infantry. It is painted in the slate blue-gray color that was adopted after the initial horizon blue color turned out to be too conspicuous.

France (2)

-Mle 1874 M. 80 M.14 'Gras', MAS, cal. 8x50R. The black powder 11mm Gras rifle was modified early in the war to accept the 8mm Lebel round as a war emergency measure. The barrel was reamed out and sleeved to 8mm, and a handguard was added. The t-backed bayonet & scabbard are for the Gras, but the bayonet is marked Steyr, 1881. I'm not sure if that is appropriate to go with a French rifle or not, maybe someone will enlighten me. Also beneath the rifle is a 1915 dated 8x50R round, below that is an 11x59R Gras Vickers round. This was the original blackpowder round for the Gras rifle modified with a jacketed incendiary round to be used in Vickers machine guns in aicraft for use against balloons & zeppelins.
-Fusil Automatique Mle 1917, cal. 8x50R, Manufacture nationale d’armes de Tulle (MAT) 1917. The first semi-automatic issue infantry rifle used in combat. the Germans used both Mondragon & Mauser semi-autos in aircraft, and the French used Winchester M1907 & M1910 rifles in aircraft & the trenches, but this rifle was the first semi-auto built & issued by a military for its ground forces. utilizes a five round clip different from that of the Berthier M.16. This rifle, as with most Mle 1917s, was modified in the 1920s or 30s by having its gas system plugged, thus making it essentially into a bolt action.

Beneath the Mle 1917 left to right:
-F1 grenade with Billant automatic fuse.
-Vivien-Bessier rifle grenade, without launcher, but with brass guard to protect the igniter next to it. There are threads with better examples & excellent descriptions of how these work in the French board.
-OF1 offensive grenade with Billant fuse.
-'Ruby' pistol, Esperanza y Unceta, Guernica, Spain, 1916-17, cal. 7.65mm Browning/.32 ACP. The Ruby pistol was ordered by the French from the Gabilondo company in Spain. In order to keep up with the large French orders, Gabilondo contracted with several other Spanish gunmakers to manufacture versions of the same pistol. Some, like this one, were well made, others less so. This is Esperanza's 1916 Model. With holster.

-On top-'Petard de la Troisime armee'. Improvised French grenade from early in the war. A piece of wood with a belt hook on the back. The block at the top has a nail stuck in it to act as a friction fuse. Pull the wire attached to the nail, nail rotates & grinds against the black powder starting a train, which burns down into the iron cylinder and explodes the main charge. Extra bits of iron are wired to the sides for more shrapnel.
-Mle 1914 'bracelet' grenade. Cast iron sphere with a wooden plug fuze. The pin in the fuze would have been connected by a chain to a metal hoop worn around the wrist. When the grenade was thrown, the pin would be pulled by this chain to start the fuze. This gave some distance between the thrower & the grenade, as the fuzes had a tendency to go off prematurely.
-Citron Foug grenade.
-F1 frag grenade with percussion fuse, ca. 1915.
-Incendiary grenade with the same type of percussion fuse. Thin metal shell was filled with petrol and had magnesium in the fuse.
-P1 grenade, missing the cloth tail attached to the handle. The tail was used to insure the percussion fuse on the bottom of the grenade landed at the correct angle.

-Below the grenades on the left is a 75mm shrapnel round, on the right a 75mm HE round.

More Mle 15 helmets:
-Painted in the mustard-khaki of the French Colonial troops. The crescent badge with RF, for Republique Francais, was used by Zouave &
Spahi regiments, amongst others.
-The badge of the Chasseurs. most of the darker blue-gray has worn off this helmet, revealing the early light Horizon Blue.
-Helmet of the Artillery painted in the early, lighter horizon blue color.
-Helmet of the Colonial Infantry painted in a glossy version of the early, lighter shade.
-The badge of the Medical Corps.
-The badge of the Engineers.

-The helmet of the Czech Legion, serving in France. I have no Czech section for WWI, so this may rest here.

Belgium/Luxembourg

-M1900 Luxembourg Mauser, Mauser Oberndorf, 1900, cal. 6.5x55. Very few of these about, a modification of the Swedish Mauser with a shorter barrel & different front band.
-
M1889 Mauser, Fabrique Nationale. This particular 1889 was captured by the Germans & rechambered to 7,9x57. The chamber has the Prussian eagle firing proof. The stock does not have the Deutches Reich marking but does still have the Belgian Guarde Civique mark.
-Short bayonet, frog & scabbard for the M1889 rifle.
-One round of 7.65x53 ammunition manufactured by National Cartridge Company, USA, for Belgium in 1917. This round fell out of a paper packet that is still tied shut but deteriorating. To get a whole clip out I'd have to destroy the original pakage.
-M1916 Mauser carbine. Manufacture D'Armes de L'Etat. Cal. 7.65x53. The Belgians standardized on this carbine during the war. No date, so it stays in the WWI section.

-Browning Model 1900 pistol, Fabrique Nationale, Herstal, Belgium, 7.65mm browning (.32 ACP). This is a departure from usual practice, in that this is not a Belgian military issue pistol. It is a commercial model 1900, ca. 1904/05. Since it is below serial # 200,000, it could be in the French section, as they bought several thousand in that range, with no identifying marks. I place it here as there is more room, and Belgium was the first military to adopt this pistol & also its biggest user. Several countries on both sides used these pistols in WWI, either through military contracts, private purchases, or both.
-M15 Adrian helmet, with the lion of Belgium.
-Queen Elisabeth helmet, 1917. Queen Elisabeth of Belgium did a great deal of work for the Belgian troops during the war. She was concerned about eye & face wounds being suffered in the trenches, and funded development of this visored helmet on her own. About 1000 were made & issued in 1917-18.

Great Britain & Commonwealth (1)

-Short, Magazine Lee-Enfield, Mark III (called Rifle, No1 Mk.III after WWI), Ishapore, India, 1911, cal. .303. Has early pattern leather sling, fitted with Townsend rifle grenade. All the rifle grenades displayed on rifles in this section are rod type grenades, with a metal rod going down the barrel.
-Short, Magazine Lee-Enfield, Mark III*, BSA, Birmingham, England, 1918, cal. .303, fitted with a No44 anti-tank rifle grenade, 1918. The Mark III* was a general simplification of the Mark III introduced in 1915 to speed up production. Things like the volley sights & magazine cut-off were eliminated. Pattern 1907 bayonet, by Wilkinson, 1918 above, scabbard & Pattern 1914 frog, made of boiled leather, 1915, below.
-Short, Magazine Lee-Enfield, Mark I*, RSAF Enfield, Enfield Lock, England, 1911, cal. .303. Mark I series SMLE updated to * standard between 1914-1919. Fitted with a No3 Mk2 rifle grenade.
-Pattern 14 Mark I, Eddystone, Philadelphia, PA., USA, 1916, cal. .303. This P-14 is in original condition, with volley sights, and without the Mark I * markings. Fitted with a No23 Mills grenade (Mills bomb) which has a rod attached to serve as a rifle grenade.

Handguns:
-Webley Mk.VI, Philip Webley & Sons, Birmingham, 1915, cal. .455.
-Colt Model 1911, Colt, Hartford, CT., USA, R.A.F. contract, after May 1918, cal. .455.
-Beneath the pistols is a Mk.II charger with Dominion Canada 1916 dated Mk.VII ball. The charger is also Canadian marked

Hand grenades left to right:
-Mark I 'Malta' grenade. These were made on the island of Malta for use in the Gallipoli Campaign. Rare grenade.
-Battye grenade. Early frag grenade with crudely cast sleeve, and wooden plug in the end.
-No5 Mk1 Mills grenade, base plug dated 9/16.
-No34 Mk3 grenade, 1917.
-No27 Mk1 smoke rifle grenade, missing rod.
-No.27 Mk.I smoke hand grenade, repainted, 1917.
-No37 smoke hand grenade, 1917.

Helmets, left to right:

-Private purchase mild steel officer's helmet, probably 1915. Based on contemporary miner's helmets, these were not very effective as shrapnel helmets, being made from thin metal. This example has several slits in it that look very much like someone has used it for bayonet practice.
-War Office 1915 pattern helmet. After some protoype helmets issued earlier, this was the first mass production version of the 'Brodie' type helmet. These came originally in a smooth, light apple green finish, which can still be seenn inside this repainted example. Made of manganese steel, these offered good protection against fragments. The liner and other details were changed from this to the next helmet. Has the badge of the Worchestershire Regiment.
-Mk. I 'Brodie' helmet, 1916-18. Sand is mixed in the paint to reduce glare. Improved liner and chinstrap loops from the previous helmet, as well as an attached edge around the rim of the helmet. This was the main British helmet of the war.

Great Britain & Commonwealth (2)

-Ross MkIII, Ross Rifle Co., Quebec, Canada, 1914, cal. .303. This rifle is C.E.F. marked. Fitted with a Hales No2 (Mk2?) rifle grenade. Mk.III bayonet below. The Mk. II & Mk. III bayonet will not interchange.
-RossMkII***, Ross Rifle Co. Quebec, Canada, 1910. Rifle is U.S. and ordnance bomb marked, and came with a Kerr No-Buckl sling attached. Fitted with the No. 35 Mk.I high explosive rifle grenade, marked G.H. & Co. 1918. Mk. II bayonet scabbard & frog (also U.S. marked) below. These rifles were used for training in Canada, and in the UK by Canadian troops, but likely did not see combat. Many, like this one, were later sold to the USA to be used for training when they entered the war.
-.303 cloth bandolier dated 8-18.

-13 pounder shrapnel round.
-18 pounder shrapnel round, repainted.

Italy

-Fucile Modello 91 Carcano, Torre Annunziata, 1898, cal. 6.5x52. With M1891 bayonet, scabbard/frog.
-Moschetto Modello 91 per Truppi Speciali (M91TS), Brescia 1917. Made with lug for special TS bayonet (pictured).
-M1870/87/15 Vetterli, Brescia 1888, cal. 6.5x52. This is another example of the country's older blackpowder weapons being rechambered for the newer smokeless round as an emergency measure early in WWI.

-Glisenti M1910, Brescia, cal. 9mm Glisenti. Beautifully made pistol, but with frame design that does not allow for a powerful cartridge. Round is dimensionally identical to a 9mm Parabellum, but only about 75% as powerful. With holster.
-Model 1889 Bodeo, Type II, G.A. Castelli, Brescia 1917, cal. 10.35mm. Enlisted mens' version with folding trigger.
-Beretta Model 1915, Pietro Beretta, Brescia, cal. 9mm Glisenti. Beretta's first military pistol design. Originally made in .32acp, this version is chambered in the 9mm Glisenti round. These were issued to both the army & the police. This example is police marked.

-To the right of the Bodeo revolver is a Lenticolare discus grenade. A rope-like fuse would have come out of the brass plug in the center & been held by the clamp on the left.
To the left of the Glisenti pistol are the other grenades:
-On the far left with the wire handle is a Carbone grenade, an Italian copy of the Austrian Guguruz fragmentation grenade.
-Next to the right is a Thevenot Excelsior, which wa a French design, used by th French & the Italians. This one is painted Italian girgio-verde. It is missing its cloth tail that would be pinned around the wooden handle.
-In the next row, from the top down:
-Besozzi grenade, minus its fuse.
-S.I.P.E. grenade (Società Italiana Prodotti Esplodenti)
-BPD grenade (Bombrini Parodi Delfino)
-Benaglia type B rifle grenade, missing its fins at the base of the grenade.

-The large yellow shell is a 105mm shell with a time & percussion fuze. Was sold to me as a howitzer shell, but I believe it may be for th cannone 105/28. Shell has been repainted.
-Italian 75mm round for their Krupp desinged guns; shell case dated 1918.

-Top left helmet is an Italian Mo.15-16 Lippmann helmet, a simplifed version of the Adrian, made in two parts instead of four. This helmet is marked to the 55th infantry brigade. Further stenciling to the brigade inside the rim is dated 1916.

- Mo.15-16 Lippmann helmet fitted with a cloth cover from the 9th Infantry Regiment, with a symbol for the machine gun company on the side.
-Farina helmet, short model, rusty, but still with somme grigio verde paint. These helmets had very heavy brow plates, for use by assault troops.
-Farina helmet, tall model, with non-standard 'tall' shape and black paint.

Japan

-Type 38, Koishikawa Arsenal, Tokyo, cal. 6.5x50SR. Early production Type 38, although I haven't seen anything which could tell me if this serial # dates to WWI period or not. Missing dust cover. Original sling.
-Type 30 Bayonet & scabbard, Koishikawa Arsenal, Tokyo. Early style bayonet which has been used as a hatchet & hammer at some point.
-Type 30 Rifle, Koishikawa Arsenal, Tokyo. Royal Chysanthemum has been overstruck with arsenal mark, meaning this rifle was sold out of Japanes service. This could be one of the many rifles of this type supplied to Russia in WWI, or even to Great Britain. There are no marks to indicate one way or the other, though.
-Type 44 carbine, Koishikawa Arsenal, Tokyo. These folding bayonet carbines began to be produced in 1911. Again this is an early model, but I know of no way to date it to the WWI period.

-Papa Nambu, Tokyo Gas & Electric, cal. 8mm Nambu, date uncertain. This is not a Naval contract pistol. These were available as private purchase pistols for Japanese offcers in the WWI period.

Portugal/Greece

-Espingarda Modelo 1904 'Vergueiro', DWM, Berlin, 1904-1908, cal. 6.5x58. Portuguese troops on the Western Front used British weapons, but this was the standard Portuguese rifle, and was used by them in Africa, as well as by South African troops, to whom the Portuguese supplied a large number. This is the only Vergueiro I have encountered with the original finish on the stock, most of those from Africa & elsewhere have been well sanded. Bayonet & scabbard below.
-Espingarda Modelo 1904, DWM, Berlin, 1904-08. This one is different in that it is D.M.G.L.M. marked, in English, General Military Directorate of Laurenco Marques. So this rifle was assigned to Portuguese East Africa, where they were used by Portuguese, and, when captured, by German troops. Bayonet & scabbard below.
-Espingarda Modelo 1896, Steyr 1899, cal. 6.5x53R. These short rifles were ordered for the Portuguese Navy & were based on the Romanian Mannlicher rifles. They even have the Romanian final inspection proofs on them, as does the bayonet, which I acquired from Portugal, below.
-Espingarda Modelo 1886 'Kropatschek', Steyr 1886, cal. 8x56R Krop. These would still have been in use with colonial forces in WWI. Bayonet & scabbard below.
-Model 1903 Mannlicher-Schoenauer, Steyr 1907, cal. 6.5x54. Greek rifle with original sling and muzzle cover. The sling is not easy to find. Bayonet is for this rifle but is a cheat, as it was made in Italy & so is post WWI in origin. Beneath the rifle is also a 1913 Greek-made 6,5x54 round.

-75mm Greek shrapnel round.
-Model 1906 Portuguese Luger with the crest of Manoel II, DWM, Berlin, 1908-10, cal. 7,65mm Luger, with holster & cleaning tools.
-Portuguese M 16 helmet, based on the British private purchase mild steel helmets. When Portugal entered the war, in 1916, the British supplied them with arms, but were unable to provide helmets. The Portuguese acquired these, but began replacing them with British helmets they were found to be less protective.

China/Siam/Brazil

These countries declared war on the Central Powers in 1917, and most of their activities were limited to seizing German ships & other assets within their borders.
-Hanyang type rifle, cal. 7.92x57. This is one of the many Chinese copies of the Gew. 88, without the barrel jacket. Hanyang Arsenal produced some of the best versions of this rifle, hence its name amongst collectors. This example has no markings as to the maker. I made the guy climb the ladder in the showroom of Springfield Sporters & get it for me because I liked the markings on the butt. It is extremely beat.
-Hanyang type carbine. An equally beat carbine length version of the above rifle.
-M1903 Siamese Mauser, Koishikawa Arsenal, Tokyo, cal. 8x52R. Converted form the original 8x50R. Bayonet & scabbard below.
-Yes, Brazil entered WWI in 1917, although it's unlikely that any Brazilian Mausers saw action. Brazil's navy, including her two dreadnoughts, took over South Atlantic convoy responsibilities, and Brazil seized German assets in the country. Brazilian M1908 Mauser, DWM, Berlin, cal. 7x57. with leather action cover, bayonet & scabbard.

United States

-Model of 1903, Springfield Armory, Springfield, MA., 1909, cal. .30-06. Springfield '03 with single screw stock in pre-WWI configuration, with 1917 dated Model 1907 sling. Some of the parts are parkerized from later mixing & matching. Scruffy 1906 dated Model 1905 bayonet & clip of 1918 dated Winchester made .30-06 below.
-Model of 1917, Eddytstone Arsenal, Philadelphia, PA., 1918, cal. .30-06. Late war Eddystone with what's left of original finish. Lend-lease marked for Canada. Kerr No-Buckl sling, bayonet & scabbard below.
-Model of 1898 Krag-Jorgensen, Springfield Armory, Springfield, MA., 1901, Cal. .30-40 (.30 U.S. Army). Krags were not only used in the U.S. for training & guard duty, but also made it to France in the hands of railway troops. Mills web sling. 1904 dated Frankford arsenal .30-40 round & 1896 dated bayonet/scabbard below.

Grenades left to right:
-Mk. I offensive grenade with cardboard body and Mk. I fuze.
-Mk. II frag grenade, early grenade body with early 'cutback' Mk.II fuze.
-Mk.II gas grenade, KJ, with Mk.II cutback fuze. These were filled with stannic chloride, and were intended to be used as irritants to help clear bunkers & dugouts.

Handguns, top to bottom:
-Colt Model 1917 Revolver, Colt, Hartford, CT. late 1917-early 1918, cal. .45ACP. This is an early Colt that cannot be fired without the half-moon clips.
-Colt Model 1909 Revolver, Colt, Hartford, CT. 1909-11, cal. .45 Long Colt (modified). This example is a military revolver with a cylinder & crane from a commercial gun.
-Smith & Wesson Model 1917, Smith & Wesson, Springfield, MA. 1917-18, cal. .45 ACP.
-Colt Model 1911, Colt, Hartford, CT. 2003, cal.45 ACP. This is a cheat. It's one of Colt's newly made 'continuation of WWI production' pistols, with WWI era 1911 features & markings. -M1909 holster, for any of the revolvers.
Helmets, left to right:
-U.S. Model 1917 helmet, based on the British Mk. I. This is a U.S. made example (you can tell by the rivets on the chinstrap swivels indside) which has sawdust mixed in the paint to reduce glare. These are not thought to have been painted with unit markings or camouflage during the war. Those are believed to have been added after the Armistice.
-What remains of my grandfather's Model 1917 helmet. He was in an artillery unit that was attached to several divisions during its stay in France. On the sides, at the edge of the rim, you might be able to make out two small loops of wire. There are three small holes on each side in this area to hold these loops. They are for a device called the Wilmer eye shield. Many helmets were modified for this device, although it was not generally issued.
-Experimental Number 2 helmet, 'Deep Salade'. The model 1917 helmet was seen as a temporary measure until the U.S. could design its own, distinctive helmet. A whole series of experimental helmets were designed and some were produced in a couple thousand examples for trials. Some number 2s went to France for trials. I've seen exactly one photo so far of an officer wearing one in France.

-Below the helmets is a 75mm HE round for the French 75, made by the American Can Company, 1918.

See less See more
Reactions: James N.
#9 ·
Every time I open this thread, a few more photos manage to load, I think it is time to get the gang and head your way with the truck (as soon as all the photos load, of course, I am kidding myself, that will probably years from now) This is an impressive collection, and I have only seen a small part of it as yet.
Best wihses
Gus in the dark ages

#10 ·
Oh boy, something is wrong with my internet service today, all the photos managed to load. This is a very nice collection, but I have to question the Poragee helmet, The crown looks to be a bit deep for the standard Portagee/private purchase Brit helmet. I would be more inclined to call it a miner's hard hat, but then the early British private purchase helmets were actually commertial miner's hard hats. I have not seen any period photo af a helmet with sush a deep crown used in the trenches, but again, that only means that I have not seen such a photo.
It is nice to see that your Webley has not bee altered for .45 ACP as most in the US are.
Best wihses
Gus

#48 ·
Gus, it's only been seven years or more, but I finally re-shot the pictures and fixed that Portuguese helmet problem. Now I just have to reshoot the German stuff again, as I found about three things after packing up that I forgot. That'll have to wait until after the WW2 photos get redone, though.

John

#12 ·
Wow! :eek:

Beautiful groupings and shots. However, you guys make me feel like crap. I've got lots of 'stuff' around here, but never seem to get it together into a coherent collection.

Anyone taking vacation soon and need a little side project? I'll buy the beer! :D

Thanks for the great display!

- Best Regards! Mike

#14 ·
Absolutely fantastic and I am salivating with envy.

I do not envy you American guys for having always the
chance of being shot by a robber around the corner,
but here in the good old UK is virtually impossible to get a
collection like this.

99.9% of historical surplus weapons seem to end up in the states
thanks to your weird Bill of Rights militia and bare arms stuf...

Bless

#15 ·
Hey Deadjune,
Here in the US we do not have to worry about being shot by a robber, heck they have to worry more about being shot by us. There was even an Islamic terrorist, who attacked a crowded shopping mall, that was killed by an armed citizen before he killed many people (although I think he did kill 5 before he was shot)
Our Bill of Rights is not so weird, it was written to make sure no government could subjegate the citizens in this country, and there is one very go historical event that proves that it is a good thing, During WWII, the Japanese had no intention of invading populated areas of the United States (they did invade Alaska) because they feared that there would be an armed citizen behind every blade of grass..
Best wishes
Gus

#17 ·
True story: In 1939 there was an incident here in central Louisiana. Not far from here, is a very small town named Poland. A few miles down the road, is an even smaller town named Echo. One night, someone came across a large group of armed citizens, at the gas station in Echo. They had rifles, shotguns, and hunting dogs. When asked what was going on, someone said, in a very Cajun accent, "We done heard on da radio, dat the Germans done invaded Poland. We'll be G--Damned if they gonna take Echo!"

Reactions: yoda
#27 ·
The feeling is still mutual. I thought of asking you to bring your jeeps & ambulance to help us move, but I'm not moving to Idaho, and I think that's where things would wind up, to be near the stuff you got past Olga:rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.