Gunboards Forums banner

Nooob P08 Luger question

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  TO THE FLOOR 
#1 ·
I just acquired a 1939 P08 Luger. I know pretty much nothing about this gun. I took it out to shoot today and found the magazine spring was almost too strong to load. Am I going to have to take the magazine apart and cut a round off the spring or just leave it loaded for awhile?? Next I am wondering how to strip this thing down to clean it?? Thanks in advance.

#4 ·
There is a button on the side of the mag. Are you pulling down on the button to compress the spring as you put ammo in the mag? You can also use the hole in the luger tool by inserting it over the button and use the lip on the tool to pull down and compress the spring. If you don't have the tool, you can find a repo on ebay. The design of the mag requires a stiff spring to properly function; if you cut a coil you will likely have feeding problems and a worthless mag.

#6 ·
The one thing I hated about the Luger was loading the mag. I could get 3-4 rounds in but after that , it would make hamburger out of your thumb ,if you tried to get all 7 in ,several times. The "Loading Tool " was not easy either. Fun gun but a bitch to load the full mag, just MHO, BB

#7 ·
Yes, if it's just loading the mag that is the problem, if you are right-handed, hold the mag in your left hand and use your left thumb to pull down slightly on the button that is attached to the follower and use the right hand to install the round.....i.e........your left thumb will be assisting depressing the follower/spring to make your loading of each round with your right hand easier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.