Gunboards Forums banner

Winchester Model 1400 MKII 12ga

17K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  newgunowner 
#1 ·
I inherited one of these shotguns. I've read on the web where most people don't like this semi-auto shotgun for one reason or another. Have any of you had any positive experiences with this gun? What are the common problems with it?

It's in pretty good condition. The wood seems nice, etc. What is its value? I think the serial number starts with the letter "N".

#2 ·
There is nothing wrong with your gun other than its poor support by the manufacturer. The 1400 will continue to function long after a Remington 1100 succumbs to an equal degree of neglect. The comparison between the 2 didn't salvage the 1400's reputation. The 1400 II has a 2 shot magazine and a plastic bolt release that is weak. The 1100 has a more comfortable stock design and a magazine that will unplugged hold 4- 2 3/4" rounds. For a long time the High Overall 12gauge NSSA record was held by shooting legend Wayne Mayes shooting a 1400 named "Blondie" (she had a yellow maple stock). Mr. Mayes could probably have achieved that record shooting any gun that would reliably function but he shot Blondie for years.

#3 ·
mayes had a whole trunk full of spare parts.i beg to differ on the asumption that a 1400 will run more that a rem 1100, the 1400 is history and the 1100 is still going strong,that in its self tells you which is a better gun. win makes a very good auto loader now,but the 1400 was not one of them.i have replaced more 1400 ejectors than i care to tell you about along with broken trigger groups. if i had a win 1400 i would only use it for hunting were few shells would be fired. eastbank.

#5 ·
I shoot an 1100 and have a high regard for it. I have a Super X I shoot very well and hate. I have been astounded by how filthy a 1400 can be and still cycle long after a 1100 would require cleaning. The 1400 was a desperate attempt to design and produce a competitor to the 1100. The 1400's design has merit while the execution and content is lacking. The Super X is the opposite end of that spectrum so far as fit, finish and design and it was a resounding failure also.

#6 ·
A Winchester 1400 was the first firearm I ever bought... in 1967 when I was 18. I used it for 20 years hunting mostly dove, quail and ducks here in New Mexico. Finally I used it for marauding dogs that were after the chickens in Virginia. Sold it a few yeard ago and replaced it with a Mossberg 500... I decided I wanted a pump more. Never a problem, and it was fine for my uses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.