Gunboards Forums banner

HELP! Polish K98 Marking help!

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  DrGonzo11 
#1 ·
I just bought a rifle and need some help, its a WWI Polish K98, a reparations rifle from Germany, later it was sold/given to Spain during the Spanish civil war (which I know because there is a large "A" stamped on the stock). It was scrubbed of all receiver markings except the serial number "40XX H" and a small "790" at the top center of the receiver ring below the step, plus the serial number repeated on other parts. The other markings I'm curious about are in the sling bar well, on one side is a gothic "4" and another mark on the other side that I've included a crude drawing of (little ladybug looking thing). Any information on these markings and the rifle would be greatly appreciated.

#4 ·
one thing about Polish mausers are that there are many proof marks on the bolt and barrel under the wood that are hard to ID or define.Many inspecton marks.The carbine you have pictured looks like a Polish mfg K-98-The stacking hook is different than Kar98 that the Germans used in WW1.While there may be some German mfg parts on the carbine the Poles made quite a few K-98 carbines themselves.

#6 ·
I have a Polish made Karabinek wz 98 but she was scrubbed and sold to the Spaniards for use in the Spanish Civil war.

She is a bit mis-matched but it looks like half of the rifle has parts from two other rifles as serials match in different parts but not the receiver.

The bolt also appears to be from a Greek Mauser as the other marks on it are Greek letters.

As far as some of the few symbols are concerned, I have no reference to identify them but I would love to find out.

#7 ·
Yes I am, is that you Tim??? Just trying to figure out what this weird proof mark is, to no avail. Figured out what the "790" was, kind of a "Duh!" moment, its the bore diameter..... But I can't figure out this little proof mark that I'm sure I've seen before somewhere and can't remember what I saw it on, needless to say its driving me crazy!

#9 ·
Ill be at the show, not sure what time though. Haven't had time to shoot the k98 yet, probably won't for awhile, between the baby and work its hard to get out to the range anymore. I'm still pretty bummed out that I sold the carbine with out ever getting to shoot it, I hope I don't turn in to one of those guys that collects guns but never shoots them. I wanna take the k98 apart but those trigger guard screws are trashed, too torn up to turn very hard and too tight to finesse loose. I love the polish k98 for the history of it, that's how I got into collecting in the first place, fun tangable history.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.