Gunboards Forums banner

PPS43C........ anybody got one?

68K views 324 replies 64 participants last post by  rogertc2 
#1 ·
saw the PPS43C in 7.62x25. they look good. was kinda wanting one if they are decent pistols. anybody have a report?

#228 ·
If the front sight is supported properly while you're attempting to move it (as PolishRon suggested), I'd try heating the front sight with a small butane torch immediately prior to trying to move it. One of the guys on here was attempting to build a sight press, don't know if he was successful...

#229 ·
It was mentioned on here about controverting to 9mm,will the magazines work with 9mm?? does anyone know if a Gunsmith that would do a conversion? Mine came in, had it on layaway and made the mistake of not keeping with the ammo situation!!!!! and now No Cheap surplus ammo, should have bought that 1st. Now it is going to cost more to shoot, with only commercial ammo available which no one here has in stock. I have to order it. Kinda wish now I had not bought this thing and went with another Draco or a Sterling. Sorry but it is frustrating have a gun you cannot shoot. Plus the price on them has dropped.

#231 ·
Yes very easy, swap the barrel and be careful loading the original mags... Same as a Tokarev pistol. I keep a PPS-43 parts kit, for the extra mags and I clipped a few loops off the recoil spring (one at a time) till it cycled well. Really easy to do and give you 2 calibers in one gun. 7.62x25mm casings can be made from used up .223 or 5.56mm NATO brass, so if you reload and have a cheap/free source for those...

#230 ·
Easy to convert to 9mm. All you would need is a barrel and one from the KP44 should be close enough to work with little modification if any. Making one from a 9mm blank would be easy as well if you went that way. All you would need is a little lathe time. Mags will work with 9mm as will the bolt.
Centerfire currently has KP44 parts kits with barrel for $69. Keep the barrel and sell the rest and you will have a barrel for cheap. Might need the recoil spring if the power difference between the calibers is to great. (the spring might be stronger on the pps43 and the bolt might not fully cycle with the lower power 9mm in which case you would need to use the lighter spring in the KP44 kit)

(edit to add that I just loaded some 9mm in a magazine and hand cycled the action, all fed and ejected without any problems)

#237 ·
I have the pistol and the parts kit. Paperwork is done... fingerprint cards are on order, CLEO said just drop everything off when its ready. I've heard you can put your photo on the paperwork digitally, but id rather go the safe route and get photos made at a photo center. Hope to send off next week.

#241 ·
Sent my Form 1 in month ago. Welds were on the outside. Cut the welds and removed the stock. Waiting for approval to finish. I will use a stock from one of my parts kits.
IF you cut the welds and have the stock and no form & tax stamp back yet, PLEASE be very careful as you fall into that constructive intend loophole... Specially since you do have the intent, it would be easier for them to prove, by sending the form in.

#244 ·
Hi all,

I have a pps43 from IO that seems to work fine with Norinco ammo but constantly has stoppages with the Polish surplus. I decided to remove the firing pin and discovered it's a two piece affair...question - is it supposd to be? The longer section I removed from the rear of the bolt. The "front" end of this firing pin "half" section is smooth, flat, and appears made that way.
Any input is appreciated. I'm thinking of shimming the trigger group as suggested above.
Thanks, Smak

#260 ·
this procedure of shimming the trigger group recommended by jcnez worked great with one of my weapons.still have to try the other one as I noticed the rear piece of the firing pin was hanging up so I am still waiting to try it out.just slowly took down the part of the rear edge that was causing the hangup(wasnt backing out all the way) with an emery board with this second weapon. am definitely getting another FP set from IO though.... I went from having 1 out 5 malfunctions with the polish ammo to 1 in 300.

#246 ·
Smak, I had the rear section of the pin assembly out of mine last week because the end of it was mushrooming a tiny bit and hanging up in the hole at the end of the bolt. I used an emery board to take enough off the end of the pin so it would function properly. After 300 - 400 rounds, I didn't think that should happen, but I noticed the hammer face was uneven, so I smoothed it out as well. I haven't fired it since then, but I was having trouble with the polish ammo in it, and in my cz52, but no problems with the polish in my yugo m57. I think the rear section of the pin wasn't striking the front part of the firing pin with enough force to fire the round. I'm new to all this, but maybe proper alignment of the hammer and the rear pin could be a solution. Joel

#249 ·
intent

"Until the paperwork is approved, there IS intent."
As long as a folding stock is not installed prior to approval, I feel it is still a "pistol", and not illegal. If approval is denied, then, as long as I don't add a stock, it shouldn't be a problem. They've already approved me for various Class 3 weapons and silencers. BTW, the PPS43 isn't at my residence where I have the parts kit and the stocks. And besides, the ATF is too busy sending AKs to Mexican drug cartels.

#250 ·
"Until the paperwork is approved, there IS intent."
As long as a folding stock is not installed prior to approval, I feel it is still a "pistol", and not illegal. If approval is denied, then, as long as I don't add a stock, it shouldn't be a problem. They've already approved me for various Class 3 weapons and silencers. BTW, the PPS43 isn't at my residence where I have the parts kit and the stocks. And besides, the ATF is too busy sending AKs to Mexican drug cartels.
No, not really correct. Yes the form shows intent, BUT alone is nothing to worry about. BUT making the modification, even if not installed, can create a legal issue if they really wanted to. Same as having the parts & plans for a full auto MG with a more then 80% receiver on hand. I agree the BATF&E is "busy" sending guns south of the border and covering it up as much as possible while black lining most documents about it for Congress when they want info on it. I'd bet someone with the MG stuff would be more likely to have the issue, not so much someone with a stocked pistol. But that said, don't mean they couldn't make it an un-pleasant issue for you or anyone else, specially with this current administration.

#253 ·
I guess I'm just an over cautious puss----rather than splitting hairs on regulations, terminology, and interpretation, I'm an old, patient fart that'll wait till the paperwork goes through before I begin modifications. Obviously, everyone can proceed at their own discretion, and admit or not on a public forum what they've accomplished. Cash is a little tight for me right now, but I sure plan on making that stock work in the future. Does anyone know the "average" wait time on a SBR permit? I've got a CCW permit, and a C-n-R, so background etc. should be clean.

#254 ·
Does anyone know the "average" wait time on a SBR permit?
I can only go by what my last form 1 took for my SAIGA 12 SBS, from when I mailed it off (mid Nov. last year) to when I got it back took 102 days.

I mailed off the form 1 to SBR my PPS43 in mid april, so I figure I should have it back sometime in Aug.

just have to be patient, and don't dwell on it, and it will come.

#256 ·
My PPS-43 was sent back to I.O. over two months ago and is STILL waiting to be fixed. I call Patty every week and she is as decent as she can be but explains that there is only one guy to work on them and he is backlogged. Apparently more than one of the original batch was sent back. Mine was a DISASTER with Romanian and Polish ammo. FTF, FTE, spent rounds ending up INSIDE the receiver, you name it. I got three rounds to fire in sequence at best. Tried all four mags and had about an 85% failure rate. I got aggravated and ordered another one today from Centerfire in the hopes that I can get a good one running and start on my SBR and maybe just get something else from I.O. Then after I ordered it I thought about it and called back to ask what importer they got them from...of course....I.O. I hope this second one isnt as bad as the first.

I.O. DID honor my order for two kits that I placed online the day they ran out of PPS43 kits at $69. They sent them last week after a three month wait and they included the 4 mags. Now their kits are up to $78 "ON SALE" but they only have one mag. Questionable.

Kindest Regards, Stonewall 06

Luck of the draw I guess. I am glad to hear some of you guys are having good luck with them.

#257 ·
that's a bummer stonewall06---nothing more frustrating than a semi-auto that doesn't work, especially when half the allure is the "go fast" capabilities. Hang in there, I did hear that the original batch had problems, as noted earlier in this thread--hopefully, you'll get all the updates, and she'll run like a demon---good luck!

#259 ·
Mine came from the second batch.
Took it out for the first time last week. Put over 300 rounds of Polish surplus ammo through it fresh out of a sealed tin. Ran perfect with all 4 mags. No failures of any kind. Fed perfect, all rounds fired just as they should and extracted and ejected all the empties. Was quite accurate as well. Did a lot of full mag dumps, firing as fast as my finger could work the trigger. The empties went high and far, lots of power on ejection. What a blast! More fun than an AK. Only drawback I could see is I wish I could unfold the stock. :)

I did not encounter any of the issues with the Polish ammo that others have reported. All the rounds seemed to have the same power. I also took out a Yugo M57 and a Romanian Tokarev and they both ate the Polish ammo with relish. Once again, no malfunctions with either pistol. I also brought out some Yugo ammo to test the difference and the Yugo ammo felt like it had less power and it was dirtier than the Polish. For what it's worth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.