Gunboards Forums banner

Best powder for 45 ACP

64K views 36 replies 26 participants last post by  JeepsAndGuns 
#1 ·
So what is everyones favorite powder for reloading 45 auto?
I have reloaded a couple hundred and I am looking for a good powder. I started out with unique. It did so well in my 44 mag, I wanted to try it in my 45. It had decent results, but it left a lot of residue on the gun (inside and out) like not all of it was burning. I though it was funny, as it burns so good and clean in my 44 mag.
So next I tried IMR 700X. I have a good bit of that (12lb keg) And I got the data from the sheet that came with my lee carbide die set. It did pretty good, better than unique. But, it has a lot more recoil, muzzle flip, and was noticeably louder. Almost like it was +p. The load was 4.9gr under a 230gr copper jacketed bullet. I worked up from the starting load of 4gr, and 4.9gr was the most accurate. 5gr is the max.
I just feel like this is a little too hot for my tastes. I dont want to beat up my gun. I am looking for other powders that generally do the best in 45auto. Something that more closely matches the preformance of most factory loaded ammo. I will be shooting mainly 230gr jacketed bullets, but I do have a couple hundred rainier 230gr HP's (copper plated lead, use lead loading data) But once I shoot those up, I will go back to regular copper jacketed bullets.
Gun is a regular fullsize H&K USP.

Thanks.

See less See more
#33 ·
99% of my .45 Auto shooting is IDPA LSWC ammo.
I have burned up pounds and pounds of Red Dot, a bit of Unique, Vhitavouri N340, some WST, currently using Rex #2 (since it sells for $26 a Kilo compared to $19 a pound R.D..

My JHP "anti-personnell" ammo is full of Nobelsport Vectan SP2, enough to make 230gr JHP run 1044fps, 185's go 1200fps, 5" barrel.

#35 ·
On the newer jugs of Unique it says "cleaner burning"... or something to that effect. It does seem to be cleaner in my 9mm Reloads than those of Yore!
Red Dot says the same thing, dunno, I can't really tell in my uses.

#37 ·
Talk about a post back from the dead...lol

Still using the win231 and it works great. And its funny how some mention how it burns dirty. It burns real clean for me.
Same thing with the unique. Burns real clean for me. Now one of the dirtyest powders I have shot were H110 (in my 44mag) that was some nasty stuff, and didnt shoot worth a crap either. For 44 mag I use unique for 240gr and lighter bullets, and 2400 for anything over 240gr (such as 300gr XTP's)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.