Gunboards Forums banner

SKS Identity marks

34K views 30 replies 9 participants last post by  zastavalove 
#1 ·
I just bought a Yugo SKS from a private party. This is the first SKS that I have owned and I have some questions about some of the markings. Maybe some of you can clarify them for me.
1- The barrel is marked Cherry's GSO NC I assume the importer?
2- On the same line it is also marked Zastava FRY M5966 7.62X39. What is the Zastava FRY mean?
3-The side of the bolt is marked 0-00.022. What does this mean?
4- It is obvious that the gun has been to the arsenal for a redo since the stock is marked with one serial number that has been almost sanded off and replaced with another that matches the receiver, bolt and dust cover.
Hope you can help.

#3 ·
1. Correct, Cherry's was the importer.

2. Zastava is the name of the Yugoslavian arms factory that produced their SKS's. They're located in Serbia and still in business. The FRY I haven't a clue about. Has some meaning to Cherry's I guess.

3. The 0-00.022 type of numbers are commonly found on refurbished Yugo SKS's. I'm not sure if a specific meaning has ever been found for them. IIRC they're "thought" to be some sort of inventory control numbers.

4. You already figured 4 out. It's been rebuilt at least once.

Post some pics. I and many others here always love to see pics of SKS's.

#8 ·
yugo markings

several sets of numbers can be found on the Yugo sks

assembly numbers are electric pencil marked on metal parts(the parts like receiver, bolt, barrel, etc that are fitted and gaged to the assembly) and lead pencil marked on wood parts (stock at trigger cut) These will not match the serial number which is assigned after it is built. the 3rd set of numbers are part numbers and look like Nato part numbers some early guns do not have them but most all rebuilt and late guns do.

#9 · (Edited)
my sks

I have had my sks for 3 years and I have some questions about its numbers.I will start from the numbers on the barrel it reads as such MDL. 59/66 YUGO 7.62X39 C.A.I. GEORGIA VT. All numbers match as(605719)save for 1 on trigger assembly which reads 20183 the only other difference is on tho left side of the bolt assembly as 0-605719 I am at a loss I thought yugo sks was zastava?:confused:

-

#10 ·
I have had my sks for 3 years and I have some questions about its numbers.I will start from the numbers on the barrel it reads as such MDL. 59/66 YUGO 7.62X39 C.A.I. GEORGIA VT. All numbers match as(605719)save for 1 on trigger assembly which reads 20183 the only other difference is on tho left side of the bolt assembly as 0-605719 I am at a loss I thought yugo sks was zastava?:confused:

-
You have SKS Model 1959-1966 made by factory called Crvena Zastava (translated Red Flag or Red Banner), this factory located in country called Yugoslavia.

#23 ·
Well, they take the grenade launcher off and replace it with the muzzle brake. Both of the devices are threaded. The launcher has a pin holding it on, and the brake is welded once it is screwed on.

AC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.